• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The extra power conncetions on motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I am getting a new Z87 motherboard, but it is proving to be a hard task.

I have been looking at Asus Maximus VI Extreme (JUST LOOKING!)

I see it has the normal 8pin CPU at the top, along with another 4pin and then another 6pin further (i presume for the GPU's)

If I was to get this motherboard, would I need a new PSU?

I have the Corsair AX750, with dual cards installed I am pretty much already out of plugs, unless I use 4pin molex to make the plugs, but honestly im not happy about that (for the purpose of looks)

Could this really be? Which CPU would have the extra 4pin CPU plug as stock, and more 6+2?

Am I looking at 1000watt psu?

Some of them are just extra connectors for stability for overclocking; some motherboards require extra power when you have SLI/Crossfire action going on. My eVGA board has two extra 6pin connectors when you use more than one video card (although you only need to use one, they give two so you can use your better placement for wiring). I have the same issue as you where all 4 of my PCI-E connectors of my PSU go to the video cards. I have an adapter on the 6-pin connector for the motherboard and I don't have any issues.

Additionally my motherboard has two 8-pin connectors for the CPU, which I have both hooked up since I have two 8-pins off my PSU. The second one is there because they said it can help with stability at higher overclocks.

I have an 850w PSU, but I would imagine if you have no issues using a AX750 now, you won't have any with a newer motherboard.

Some of them are just extra connectors for stability for overclocking; some motherboards require extra power when you have SLI/Crossfire action going on. My eVGA board has two extra 6pin connectors when you use more than one video card (although you only need to use one, they give two so you can use your better placement for wiring). I have the same issue as you where all 4 of my PCI-E connectors of my PSU go to the video cards. I have an adapter on the 6-pin connector for the motherboard and I don't have any issues.

Additionally my motherboard has two 8-pin connectors for the CPU, which I have both hooked up since I have two 8-pins off my PSU. The second one is there because they said it can help with stability at higher overclocks.

I have an 850w PSU, but I would imagine if you have no issues using a AX750 now, you won't have any with a newer motherboard.

My problem is, I have all white sleeved cables, and very anal about colours in my case.

Well to answer your question, I don't think a 1000w is necessary power-wise. If you have been running an AX750 all this time without issue, I can't see a new motherboard taking up any more substantial power to warrant a new one. if this issue is having no adapters being used, then get a new PSU with all the proper cables. I've been out the PSU game for a while so I don't know if you can get sub-1000w with more than 4 PCI-E cables though, I'd have to do some research.

Well to answer your question, I don't think a 1000w is necessary power-wise. If you have been running an AX750 all this time without issue, I can't see a new motherboard taking up any more substantial power to warrant a new one. if this issue is having no adapters being used, then get a new PSU with all the proper cables. I've been out the PSU game for a while so I don't know if you can get sub-1000w with more than 4 PCI-E cables though, I'd have to do some research.

I get what your saying. But im a point where i just dont know.

I moved off the X79, and i sold my 3770K so it looks like i am going Z87.

I have spent hours now looking over motherboards. I would love an Asus, but they seem to be cutting out USB 2 plugs. I have 4 usb 2.0 on the front of my case, i dont want to lose them, i would lose at least 2 with Hero or Formula (yes i would love another ROG)

Next i have my not very cheap Aquq computers fan controller, that also uses pin USB.
I could accept losing 2 of the USB plugs on the front, but all 4 would just not be acceptable at all!

The only mother board I have found with the stuff i need, is the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H. Plus i wont need more power cables for it.

Since I dont want AsRock, i didnt look at them. But i took a fast look. For some reason their boards hit all my needs spot on, which really annoys me!

Why is there no love for USB 2.0? Also the Z87 boards just seem to have USB plugs in general!

All those extra connectors that aren't needed on most boards look like cheap manufacturing. If those power connections are necessary, it says bad things about the quality of the PCB circuitry.

All those extra connectors that aren't needed on most boards look like cheap manufacturing. If those power connections are necessary, it says bad things about the quality of the PCB circuitry.

That's like saying Titan's have bad circuitry because they need zombie boards and volt mods to acheive maximum OC.

Most performance boards I am aware of require an additional connector for dual video cards.

Pierre, what's wrong with USB 3.0? Do you have USB 2 or 3 connectors on the front of your case?

That's like saying Titan's have bad circuitry because they need zombie boards and volt mods to acheive maximum OC.

Most performance boards I am aware of require an additional connector for dual video cards.

Pierre, what's wrong with USB 3.0? Do you have USB 2 or 3 connectors on the front of your case?

I have 4x USB 2 and 1x USB 3, its the 600T case, so this aint something in a 5.25" solution, if it was, i'd ditch it in a second. But they are part of the case.

The extra 4 pin for the CPU isnt needed unless you are going extreme.

The 6 pin PCIe down by the PCIe slots may or may not be needed with SLI/CFx. Some boards will not run CFx/SLI without it (read EVGA boards) but some will not need it.

The extra 4 pin for the CPU isnt needed unless you are going extreme.

The 6 pin PCIe down by the PCIe slots may or may not be needed with SLI/CFx. Some boards will not run CFx/SLI without it (read EVGA boards) but some will not need it.

I don't know, the manual is pretty specific about plugging it in. By contrast, my eVGA board states the 2nd connection is not needed to boot, only for stability while overclocking.

This is straight out of the User Manual for the M6E: "When the system is running with 4 VGA cards, ensure to connect the EZ PLUG_1/2 for the extra PCIe power supply"
pciepower.png

ATX power confusion? atx2.0.png

I don't think where it says 4pin/8pin it means both... I havent, on any board I owned, used both unless I was going extreme. That said, never owned that board, lol, but didn't read that part of the manual the same as you did either. A 4/8 pin is, to, me the 8 pin that can split to four, like is common on a lot of psus.

It also says plug, not plugS.

Right, but I also posted the manual for the M6E up on post #5.. I got that straight off their website, is 1-43 and 1-45 the same for you in yours?

Back