• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The newest edition to our family.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I guess that 3D Mark world record is on hold for a bit.

I question whether or not the 4.7 ghz overclocked system was in fact stable in the first place as OP stated in is original post. What kind of stress testing was done? What vcore is he using?

Another question I have is why so much RAM? What does he do that he needs 32gb of RAM? You certainly don't need it to benchmark 3D Mark. And if you are trying to run that much RAM at the speeds he wants to run it at, that is a huge strain on the IMC, even for an Intel chip. What bios adjustments did OP make in order to shore up the IMC and is it possible he has damaged the IMC?

Vinja, if you're expecting to get help from Microsoft to solve this hardware problem you'd better store up on the booze because another cry day is just around the corner.

Last edited:
I'm not home yet, but I figured I'd set a couple facts straight since I saw your replies. I was running the CPU without OC (I took the OC off the CPU when I started playing with the ram). I'm only counting on Microsoft to help me get my windows installation, not the hardware issues. Btw, it's been a while, so if I clear the cmos, that will reset my bios, correct?

Btw, it's been a while, so if I clear the cmos, that will reset my bios, correct?

Yes, it will clear the bios and reset it to defaults. Again you have to figure a way to remove 2 sticks of ram to trouble shoot the ram speed issue.
If you don't, then the problem you're having will not be resolved and you're just "pissing uphill/against the wind".

With all due respect Neb, my #1 priority is getting windows installed and running, then I can learn from the masters how to OC correctly, once I have a system that runs.

We are suggesting to remove two sticks of ram to see if that is the issue... either a bad stick, or the cpu imc cant run that much that fast.

Again, Microsoft isnt going to help...its not a windows issue, the symptoms you describe.

Your first steps at this point should be to reset cmos and try again. Its likely there is a leftover borked setting or something causing instability.

Trents asked a good question...did you mess with any other volts when you tried to get your ram running the right speed? Im guessing not, but its worth an answer.

Bub, you really need to work with us so we can help you out. Dont post asking for suggestions which ultimately get ignored. :)

Last edited:
Microsoft can only help you with the Windows install if the computer is stable. In fact, if the computer were stable I'm sure you could do it yourself without Microsoft's help. But instability is the issue. Clearing the CMOS will reset the bios to default conditions but if the bios is corrupt, resetting the CMOS will not fix that. "Flashing" the bios probably would if it's not so broken that you can't even pull that off.

Last edited:
Why did a PC with a "regular" CPU and one GPU cost 7 grand? Or are you including other parts of the setup like the screen?

Why did a PC with a "regular" CPU and one GPU cost 7 grand? Or are you including other parts of the setup like the screen?

I can almost see that much if he had the build made for him but OP's first post seems to suggest he built it himself. There's a lot of bucks tied up in the water cooling gear and case I bet but still . . . Maybe OP is projecting final cost after adding a few more 1080 Ti video cards, which he said is his intention.

Thermaltake 900 Snow Edition Case - $229 USD from Newegg
Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 9 Motherboard - $499 USD from Newegg
1000W 80Platinum Antec High Current PRO (Quad 12V Rail) PSU - $229 USD from Newegg
Intel i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU - $289 USD from Newegg
32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 4133MHz RAM - $489 USD from Newegg
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB GPU - $549 USD from Newegg
256GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD - $139 USD from Newegg
2 x EK-CoolStream XE480 (Quad) Radiators - $123 USD each from PPCS
2 x EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM (incl. pump) Reservoirs - $154 USD each from PPCS
2 x EK-RES X3 TUBE 400 Reservoir Upgrades
Waterblocks for the Motherboard(built-in), CPU, GPU, and RAM are all EK products.

That's roughly $3k without the last two items, but I can't imagine them costing more than $1k combined. That's still only $4k. Not sure where the last $3k went, but you could get an awesome monitor, keyboard, mouse, desk, chair, etc and still have plenty of beer money left over.

Of course, if these components were not purchased in the USA then that could change the prices dramatically.

Of course, if these components were not purchased in the USA then that could change the prices dramatically.

That was my initial thought, but the first post said USD so I kind of assumed it was in the USA. If he was just basing it on USD, but in another country, I imagine it will probably have a decent effect on pricing due to availability of some items.

Shipping costs a couple grand??? Is it going i to orbit:p?? I believe he's in the US so it is not exchange or anything lime that.

Anyway, lets move on.. there are questions on this build about cost, but we need the get the guy up and running first. :)

I wonder if he boozed it up 2 days in a row... :p

Assuming you cleared the CMOS and started back at defaults, I would guess a clean install of Windows shouldn't be a problem. Make sure when you're given the option, format your hard drive completely before proceeding with the Windows install so no other Windows remnants are causing issues there. And are you installing off CD or USB? If USB, do you have the ability to make another copy in case that one got corrupted somehow?

Are you able to get into the bios still and verify that everything looks good there?

And a side note, if a pump on the cpu stopped working, how long would he be able to go before the cpu thermal throttled and shut down? Just wondering if the PC is overheating half way through the Windows install and shutting off.

Shipping costs a couple grand??? Is it going i to orbit:p?? I believe he's in the US so it is not exchange or anything lime that.

Anyway, lets move on.. there are questions on this build about cost, but we need the get the guy up and running first. :)

I wonder if he boozed it up 2 days in a row... :p
:rofl:

I wonder how booze would work for coolant?

Well at 150 proof Everclear might even give a phase change effect like it does on people.

Back