• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Storm G5, 50 microns from perfection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
didnt end up getting any paper, but thought it a good idea to shoot a few post-lap unassembled shots....

todays baseline:

pict02090hj.jpg

i can live with this:

pict02119na.jpg

:eek: :eek: (edit: really, did anybody expect anything different?)

pict02104pq.jpg

now the trick is to reassemble it and "make it" FLAT again... :(

the silver is just SO soft, i dont think there is ANY way around "warping" the base when assembeled...
looking @ the O-rings....

next post...too many pics (again)

Last edited:
i guess this is the problem?

yes, i pushed the O-ring in VERY well... EDIT: NOT!

pict02238lh.jpg

this one (O-ring) seems to be deeper in the block, and no "hump"

pict02246tu.jpg

EDIT: "BS" on me.... re shooting the "bad" plate....

no "hump" :

pict02268uw.jpg

so thats not the problem...?

"back" of silver plate:

pict02149vo.jpg

huh, .....

this is such a picky / accurate test, we can see the grinding wheel wasn't quite "square" (hehe) [BS on me again...look @ the pic @ full size...this is more a compression illusion than a "bad wheel"] but this sure isnt the problem!

Last edited:
I've had a nightmare with these damn O-rings. I had trusted the machinists to get it right, and they messed them up, even after banging away at them a number of times to get the issue fixed. The problem was that they kept on second guessing what I wanted.

I have modified the base-plans, and this time I have specified the O-ring channel correctly as it should be done, and simply have not told them what O-rings I intend to use, so that way they won't second guess me and mess it up again.

If you think it drives you crazy Joe Camel, try it from my end where you never get what you ask for...

Refuse payment then ;) as a contracted company they shouldnt second guess you - you should at least get a discount.

got some new 1/2" tube from soja a few days ago....some Tygon R-3603

now ive always been the cheep-o who goes to the local hardware store thinking there CANT be THAT much differance...
WOW was i WRONG!!

this stuff is..."rubbery/gummy" and turns corners like a F-1 car. its real soft and SUPER easy to bend. i will *NEVER* use anything else!

- modded Laing D4 (wired to a 16v PSU. i removed the back and have a fan cooling the pump's MOSFETS)
- above tubing
- BIX-II with 4x 100+ CFM 120's

think i should lap it? :shrug:
(3500 Venice)

too late:

pict02450jf.jpg

good enough (im still sick of lapping)

pict02474iq.jpg

Last edited:
needed a few more clamps than i had, so i was digging around and found 2x on my old D-tec WW (clone) i havent used in a year or more.....

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

pict02505jc.jpg

its just been sitting on a shelf with the "y" section attached

well, the IHS is about 3/32" (.094") thick, so your NOT going to lap it away anytime soon...it would take "days" of hand lapping to get even close to going *through* the IHS.

you will loose your stepping (write it down!)
if you ever plan on selling the CPU, some people will probly not want it if its lapped
on the other hand, some people may want it more after lapping....

one note: i taped some "stiff" foam on/over the pins of the CPU...bending pins while lapping: NOT GOOD
getting metal "dust" on the pins: NOT GOOD

o ya, dont plan on RMAing it after lapping it! LOL

PS :welcome: to the forums Xylo !!

Last edited:
Back