• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright IFX-14: THE BEAST IS HERE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Saw it, want it, this thing looks like its going to beat the Ultra-120 +

Though its lighter now that someone mentioned it not sure if that will affect the cooling preformance of it.

But this rear side heatsink will be intresting to see.

After a few months after release, Thermalright IFX-14 + will be in testing :burn: :p

I wonder if they are going to ditch their ultra120+ manufacturing for this instead?

nd4spdbh2 said:
weird thing is the fx-14 is only 124mm wide... wehre as the ultra 120 is 132mm wide.... how do you fit a 140mm fan on something 124mm wide ... guess you over hang the tips of the blades.
I think it accomodating 140mm fans is a gimmick, as the fans will overhang and a lot of the airflow will be wasted. But I'll wait for the reviews, I may be wrong.

Looking at the picture, the fins look incredibly dense, I'm guessing this heatsink has been designed for multi fan solutions, as a push/pull config will working getting air through those small gaps.

It's odd that they show this now, when the Ultra120+ is only around the corner :shrug:

I really want to see this back-of-the-motherboard cooler :drool:

Clockwork_Apple said:
I think it accomodating 140mm fans is a gimmick, as the fans will overhang and a lot of the airflow will be wasted. But I'll wait for the reviews, I may be wrong.

Looking at the picture, the fins look incredibly dense, I'm guessing this heatsink has been designed for multi fan solutions, as a push/pull config will working getting air through those small gaps.

It's odd that they show this now, when the Ultra120+ is only around the corner :shrug:

I really want to see this back-of-the-motherboard cooler :drool:

ya i was reading the behind the mobo heatpipe cooler... ????? the fins are no more packed together than the ultra 120 so i see no problems.

Clockwork_Apple said:
The Thermaltake Sonic Tower offered mediocre performance at best, despite it's size.

actually the tt st is a good price vs performance cooler. A lot of people on xtremesystems like that cooler.

BossBorot said:
actually the tt st is a good price vs performance cooler. A lot of people on xtremesystems like that cooler.
I used that sink as well and was the only that is capable of running a Pentium D passive.... yes, passive.

The configuration I used that heatsink in was with three 120mm fans and it was by far the best air-cooled heatsink I have owned.

For those planning to use 3 140mm fans on this, it doesn't look possible from the pictures, at least without some modding. Even so, 735cfm should be more than enough airflow for this heatsink. As for the 124mm wide, that's the dimension from front to back, in the direction of fan airflow. Its face is 146x161mm.

b1029384756 said:
For those planning to use 3 140mm fans on this, it doesn't look possible from the pictures, at least without some modding. Even so, 735cfm should be more than enough airflow for this heatsink. As for the 124mm wide, that's the dimension from front to back, in the direction of fan airflow. Its face is 146x161mm.

You might say its doesn't look possible but its on there site stating you can use it so it can be used.

deathman20 said:
You might say its doesn't look possible but its on there site stating you can use it so it can be used.
They dont say you can use 3...

Thermalright's Site said:
Larger surface area than any other heatsinks (140mm x 120mm) with option to install one or even two 140mm fans
Thermalright state it can only use up to two 140mm fans, probably because it only includes clips for one fan on the 'outside' of the heatsink. I'm sure it would be a simple mod to attach a third fan :)

b1029384756 said:
Now we just need to get Sidewinder to order some Delta FFB 140mm fans.

I kind of like the FFB1424UHE (not available in 12V). Operates from 14.0 - 26.4VDC (a TEC-style power supply such as a Meanwell should be sufficient to power a couple of fans), 3.35A, 80.40W, 5500RPM, 367.62cfm, 1.644"H20 of pressure, 74.0dBA. I'd use two of those with this heatsink.

"HUH? WHAT DID YOU SAY? I CAN"T HEAR YOU. HANG ON LET ME SHUT DOWN MY COMPUTER..."

b1029384756 said:
Now we just need to get Sidewinder to order some Delta FFB 140mm fans.

I kind of like the FFB1424UHE (not available in 12V). Operates from 14.0 - 26.4VDC (a TEC-style power supply such as a Meanwell should be sufficient to power a couple of fans), 3.35A, 80.40W, 5500RPM, 367.62cfm, 1.644"H20 of pressure, 74.0dBA. I'd use two of those with this heatsink.
God damn... 368CFM!?! :drool:

Three of those on this heatsink would cause the thing to take off.

Clockwork_Apple said:
God damn... 368CFM!?! :drool:

Three of those on this heatsink would cause the thing to take off.

I'd be happy with two of them on there. I doubt a third one would really help things any. And for the backplate heatsink, a PFB0812UHE. 107cfm at only 61dBA (as opposed to 106cfm/65dBA for the TFB) is pretty good for an 80mm fan.

Clockwork_Apple said:
They dont say you can use 3...

Thermalright state it can only use up to two 140mm fans, probably because it only includes clips for one fan on the 'outside' of the heatsink. I'm sure it would be a simple mod to attach a third fan :)

So who said a little modding can't hurt :) 2-3 whats the difference. If its sitting upward truely you'd only need 1 clip for the fans since the rest could techically lay right on the heatsink itself.

deathman20 said:
So who said a little modding can't hurt :) 2-3 whats the difference. If its sitting upward truely you'd only need 1 clip for the fans since the rest could techically lay right on the heatsink itself.
I would never really want a fan to 'lay' on a heatsink. Even if I used rubber bands to hold it on, I'd have greater peace of mind that something sitting there.

But then I move my case a lot so :shrug:

I'd hate to break it to you all, but this is old news. The IFX-14 has been on their website since the Ultra-120 came out onto the market and the concepts for the Ultra-120 eXtreme started to appear. Sorry to be a killjoy, but I'm still waiting on a release date, which in the past 5 months or so has yet to be revealed.

-Mobious-

If you put it facing up with three 200+ CFM fans maybe you won't need support!

Back