• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of Folding,need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PPD king is the SMP client on fast machines. An SR-2 with 2 x X5660s makes about 160,000 ppd @ 4 GHz. A regular i7 @ 3.8 GHz, folding -bigadv SMP WUs makes from 25,000 to 35,000 ppd, depending on the WU.

No you don't need another monitor.
I'm assuming Windows 7
I'm assuming you reinstalled the drivers after you installed the 9800
First create a directory named FAH anywhere except Program Files or Program Files (x86).
Next Create a directory under FAH named GPU 2
Download the 6.23 GPU2 Console Client from here into the GPU 2 directory.
Extract the files into the GPU 2 directory.
Right Click on the executable and create a shortcut.
Add -configonly after the last " in the target box: ...xe" -configonly. Space between " and -
double click on the shortcut which will start the configuration process.
Add the usual user name team number, passkey if you have one, say yes to change advanced options. Change core priority to low, memory to 500 MB, Machine ID to 3 (it has to be different from the other clients), No to a service (for now), yes to disable affinity lock, Use the default on all other items down to extra parameters. There add -gpu 1 -verbosity 9 -forcegpu nvidia_g80 and hit return until the client closes.

On your systray client you will need to add -gpu 0 -verbosity 9 and to be safe in a mixed environment, -forcegpu nvidia_fermi into the extra parameters box of the configuration

Now right click on the FAH executable in the GPU 2 directory and send to desktop (create shortcut). Start the client with the shortcut. You may wish to copy the shortcut to the startup directory so FAH starts with windows.

Thanks Chas and everyone for all your help:thup:

No problem. I'll be waiting for you to pass me. :p

LMAO don't think ill be passing anyone for a while:thup:

My room feels like a sauna its so warm from the heat from the puter..Hope my new 850 PSU can handle it:D

Fans. Lots of fans. Oh yus! :D

The GPU temps are good 69 for the 580 and 63 for the 9800 and temps on everything is fine,but the back of the PSU is hot,may have to add a fan pulling air out on the PSU..

BTW how are ATI gpus for folding?
I have a pair of 5870s was thinking of building a couple folders for them..

Last edited:
Last I checked, ATI folding was a waste and nvidia folding was the only way to go, especially fermi.

This may have changed, though...

Ah ok I remember reading that a few years back but wasn't sure with the new cards..

Sorry for all these questions but curiosity gets the best of me.
I also have a 9800X2 and was wondering,if I replace the 9800 GTX with the 9800X2 could I utilize both cores?
Instead of having two gpu's running it would be 3 would this work?

Back