• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of Folding,need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WOOHOO now I got 3 GPUs running:attn:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 63
You can run as many clients as you want, as long as your board and psu has the capacity :)

Good to know,I think im at my limit with this 850:D
Thinks she is stressing pretty good.I added a fan to the back of it to pull air out
9800X2 and a GTX 580 thats pretty heavy:eek:

If you create negative pressure (less than ambient) inside the case you will actually decrease the cooling capacity of the heatsinks. It is better to blow cool air in than suck hot air out. In my opinion, total intake and exhaust fan capacity should be close to balanced, slightly favoring intake capacity, creating slightly higher than ambient pressure inside the case. Higher pressure = denser air = improved heatsink efficiency.
I did some testing on a Antec P80, which is a sucker design, two 120 mm exhaust fans, one 120 mm intake (in the upper compartment). Adding another fan to blow air in drastically cooled the gpu. It lowered gpu temps 3 degrees lower than having the door removed. A lot depends on the case though. The Cooler Master 590 has so many holes in the case, I don't think you can affect pressure inside unless you install fans in all possible locations (7). In any event, you want the gpu fan intake to be in a positive pressure area.

Thinks she is stressing pretty good.I added a fan to the back of it to pull air out

heheh that is a pretty good load to push! I have a 295 and 8800gt going, and with my cpu at 4ghz, and the cards at stock clocks, the air being pushed out of the psu is pretty hot! I dont like it at all. If I overclock the cards, the computer will crash at somepoint, clients wont run right. Ive decided to take my clocks down to 3.64 useing eist and speedstep etc, with the cards at stock and the air is a little warmer then luke warm, huge difference. everything took a hit in production, so thats kind of sucky.

Ive pretty much come to the conclusion that my psu cannot support this cpu at 4ghz, and my cards loaded 24/7. Ive been thinking about useing 2 psu's since I have them, and my case can hold another one heheh. But I probably wont.

I did some testing on a Antec P80, which is a sucker design...

I'll also vouch for this as well (and I believe you mean P180). I have my main rig in a P180 and the single GPU in it runs quite warm for my liking. It's a quiet case, and I won't get rid of it, but something with two open 120mm intakes will serve you much better when it comes to GPU folding. I have an Antec 300 and 900 and both of them blow the P180 away in cooling capacity due to their front and side intakes.

I've waffled back and forth on the more intake vs. outtake issue several times over the last 5~6 years, but I think the proof is in the pudding... better to have a little more intake than outtake == positive pressure.

Nice. 11k ppd for the gx2 and 20 for the 580?? 35k for the cpu..

I had 3 9800gx2's, a gts250 and my i7 at 4.0 my 1kw Silverstone pooped out and burned up. I can't wait to get 3-4 gtx460's rocking out.

P180 is right. I own 8 of the things so you'd think I'd remember the name. I bought a 120 mm hole saw specifically for adding a fan in the door. Used a drill press to get a neat round hole and put a 63 cfm Sythe s-flex, blowing just below the top card, in every one of them.
Speaking of Antec cases, I wish they'd use decent fans in them. I've replaced almost every fan in every antec case I own.

Speaking of Antec cases, I wish they'd use decent fans in them. I've replaced almost every fan in every antec case I own.

I like the fact Antec gives you a speed selectable fan with their cases but when running them 24/7 as we do, i too have experienced a high failure rate........

If you create negative pressure (less than ambient) inside the case you will actually decrease the cooling capacity of the heatsinks. It is better to blow cool air in than suck hot air out. In my opinion, total intake and exhaust fan capacity should be close to balanced, slightly favoring intake capacity, creating slightly higher than ambient pressure inside the case. Higher pressure = denser air = improved heatsink efficiency.
I did some testing on a Antec P80, which is a sucker design, two 120 mm exhaust fans, one 120 mm intake (in the upper compartment). Adding another fan to blow air in drastically cooled the gpu. It lowered gpu temps 3 degrees lower than having the door removed. A lot depends on the case though. The Cooler Master 590 has so many holes in the case, I don't think you can affect pressure inside unless you install fans in all possible locations (7). In any event, you want the gpu fan intake to be in a positive pressure area.

Ive been playing around with the fans a bit,I have a 200mm fan up front blowing in and the H70 with push/pull fans blowing in,then two 120s pulling air out on top..The two 120s on the door I turned them facing out it seems to bring the ambient temps in the case down but not the GPU temps..The 580 is around 61C and the 9800X2 is 82Cish area..i added a 120mm fan to blow on my ram till my ram cooler gets here..
I think Im going to order an Corsair AX1200 PSU,Im not crashing and the 12volt is steady at 11.96 checked with a meter but its pretty warm:D

Nice. 11k ppd for the gx2 and 20 for the 580?? 35k for the cpu..

I had 3 9800gx2's, a gts250 and my i7 at 4.0 my 1kw Silverstone pooped out and burned up. I can't wait to get 3-4 gtx460's rocking out.

WOW 3 9800Xs? These things are power hungry BEAST..I really love this 580,it is so efficient,temps are low and it is so quiet even with fan on 85%

How do I tell my PPD?
And the CPU is idle,you mean I can add that to the mix??:rock::rock::rock:

heheh that is a pretty good load to push! I have a 295 and 8800gt going, and with my cpu at 4ghz, and the cards at stock clocks, the air being pushed out of the psu is pretty hot! I dont like it at all. If I overclock the cards, the computer will crash at somepoint, clients wont run right. Ive decided to take my clocks down to 3.64 useing eist and speedstep etc, with the cards at stock and the air is a little warmer then luke warm, huge difference. everything took a hit in production, so thats kind of sucky.

Ive pretty much come to the conclusion that my psu cannot support this cpu at 4ghz, and my cards loaded 24/7. Ive been thinking about useing 2 psu's since I have them, and my case can hold another one heheh. But I probably wont.

Hmmm right now my CPU isnt doing much but its @ 4ghz and the 580 is overclocked pretty good,9800x2 is stock speeds except for shaders in up just a tick..The air coming out of the back on the PSU is like a space heater:eek:

Back