• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is why people buy from Cathar

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Man you have got some fans Cathar. Look what I found down the street!!! :D
129nh41.jpg

currently saving up for a cc, might just have to through in a couple of extrtar dollars as a thank you on behalf of all your work and help on over clockers

Cathar said:

I've also suspended taking requests for the regular Cascades until 1st Feb '04 for the same reason. Just working through a batch of blocks that I have here to go to people on the wait list.

Cathar, i do apreciate your job very much since your ¨kick ***¨ lrww block release. Maybe i did wait too much to order one since the lrww worked lovely for me(proud of the first south american owner:).
now i am on the waiting list :-( for one
But I have a doubt. Sure you know the Pentium 4 is a extremely ¨strange¨ chip to cool, not only because of his IHS, but the diode readings temps vary to much
Do you have any research of that ?
sorry my horrible english and my best regards.

Wow, cool block.

So are three barbs better than two? Seem's to me the in/out flow rates would be mis-matched. Vonkaar is the block wet yet? We need to see some pic's/temps.

Overbrazil said:
Cathar, i do apreciate your job very much since your ¨kick ***¨ lrww block release. Maybe i did wait too much to order one since the lrww worked lovely for me(proud of the first south american owner:).
now i am on the waiting list :-( for one
But I have a doubt. Sure you know the Pentium 4 is a extremely ¨strange¨ chip to cool, not only because of his IHS, but the diode readings temps vary to much
Do you have any research of that ?
sorry my horrible english and my best regards.
Overbrazil, you will likely see no difference in temps between the WW and the Cascade with the P4 unless you remove the IHS. I have the same board as you, and with the Cascade, the WW and a TC-4 temps remained exactly the same (reportedly anyway). I removed my IHS and saw a nice 5C drop in temp. Only then could temp differences be detected between the blocks.

All these copycat's gotta get the same block as me eh? :p Here are some pics of mine anyway... Man I think I need some nickel plated barbs :eek:

block.jpg

baseside.jpg

mobo.jpg

nikhsub1 said:

Overbrazil, you will likely see no difference in temps between the WW and the Cascade with the P4 unless you remove the IHS. I have the same board as you, and with the Cascade, the WW and a TC-4 temps remained exactly the same (reportedly anyway). I removed my IHS and saw a nice 5C drop in temp. Only then could temp differences be detected between the blocks.

...and even then, as we all know, the P4's typically "compress" the actual CPU temperature. The real P4 thermal probe that monitors how hot the CPU actually gets isn't available to be read by the motherboard. Intel has acknowledged that the P4 probe that you can see actually reads quite a deal lower than what the actual CPU die temperature gets to.

Quick question...

I'm about to order the Dtek White Water block and was wondering if the poly top is actually polycarbonate like the ones from the cascade? I've looked everywhere and all sites just say 'poly' top.

I just don't want to risk anything as i've read many stories about lucite tops and such cracking....

thanks

Last edited:
well.. with Cascades SS... it is better to get POLY top... or otherwise entire block made in Silver will cost way too much...

It's a different type of polycarb than what is typically used. It's basically bulletproof, harder than steel plastic of the Gods.

El<(')>Maxi, I recently (1 week before I got my block :( )fried my badass cooling board. I'm going to get a new Abit next week and I'll post results as soon as I can =/. *Believe* me. I'm more anxious for results than you are =p.

Last edited:
My 3yo daughter's got-it-in-a-show-bag toy has become famous!

I really must find him again. She took him back after I used him for a series of reflective base-shots about a year ago. We then moved house and I haven't been able to find Oscar since. :(

nikhsub1 said:

Thanks nikhsub1, but remains a doubt. Every time i remount the block ,shows me different temps. If i dont remove the IHS, the cooling surface of the p4 is totally diffent from the amd core, right ?
the cascade was made with ¨AMD in mind¨, sothereis any difference ?

Overbrazil said:

If i dont remove the IHS, the cooling surface of the p4 is totally diffent from the amd core, right ?
the cascade was made with ¨AMD in mind¨, sothereis any difference ?

A more correct statement is this:

The Cascade was made with up to 350mm^2 bare-die CPU's in mind, or up to 250mm^2 die sized IHS-covered CPU's in mind. As one gets greater than these sizes, peak performance drops off slowly. However there are no bare-die, or IHS-covered-die CPU's that even remotely approach anything as large as 250mm^2.

Either way, the block does the job as well as it possibly can when working IHS CPU's. The issue is that the IHS gets in the way of cooling a CPU for any waterblock.

A P4 bare-die is roughly 12x12mm in size (147mm^2). And AMD Barton die is roughly 14x7mm in size (102mm^2). Both CPU die sizes are happily accommodated by the Cascade's operation.

If you are getting different results with different mounts, there is one of two things going on here:

1) Different mounting success. Easy to get ~5C variations through good/bad mounts
2) The thermal goop between the P4 die and the IHS is starting to develop issues. Many may not know this, but Intel actually specifies that the P4 CPU with the IHS is only consistent for 30 mounts. After that, Intel does not guarantee that the thermal goop layer between the P4 CPU die and the IHS will remain consistent.

Back