• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[TIP] "dead" psu testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
so, you think you have a dead psu? a decent quality psu just die on you? well theres some things you can do to test this to make sure it is actually the power supply.

So last week i had a psu seemingly die on me, the pc wouldn't boot up tried everything removing ram, hdd gpu. So after some thinking im like hmm perhaps this psu died, it was an Antec VP-450 probably not the best psu in the world but far from the worst im sure. i tested it by jumping it with the green / black wire and everything seemed correct, so i said screw it and i went out to the mancave and rummaged around i found an Antec basiq power 350w. I brought the basiq in and hooked it up the pc would then start up, but it would delay for about 3-5 seconds after hitting the power button... which i thought was maybe because i reset bios or something but weird none the less.

This weekend i ordered a corsair cx-430m to replace the "dead" psu, and yesterday i went to get on that pc and i realize the wireless isnt working.. so im like wtf? i pull the wireless dongle out plug it back in, nothing.. plug it in another port bam, shuts off the pc did this like 5 times... so im like WTF?!?!

i tried to boot without the dongle in... no more delay on boot... :O yay! so im thinking.... i wonder... so i grabbed the old psu plugged it in and bam! computer starts right up everytime just fine.
i then gave myself a nice hard :facepalm: and enjoyed a nice cold brew :beer:

the moral of this story... unplug usb stuff too not just mem, hdd's and stuff in the case.. if the psu checks fine with the green / ground jumped its probably fine.

the reason the 450w psu wasn't working is because the short circuit protection was actually doing its job it didn't make the mobo say hey i got a short im gonna stop giving you power.. the psu was able to tell the short and killed power immediately.

the only reason why the 350w psu was able to handle giving the power was because it probably had no idea there was even a short on the 5v rail, luckily the mobo was smart enough to disable those ports, i was afraid there was damage to my mobo, thankfully its fine.

the good news... i have a nice shiny modular corsair psu arriving in the mail today because of it ;) lool and working in a LIAN LI PC-Q07B modular will be a godsend :) now i can order the 750ti for this beast :D ...and need to find a new usb dongle :(

Last edited:
The moral of this story is always check and play with your Dongle to make sure its working properly!! If you do not it could cause the voltage to drop off and fail!

Nice to see you had a good result at the end, and a new PSU as well.

AJ.

The moral of this story is always check and play with your Dongle to make sure its working properly!! If you do not it could cause the voltage to drop off and fail!

AJ.

I can confirm this. I check and play with my dongle every morning, and it has always worked properly.

AJ.

I think the doctor has something to take care of that Ajay.

Nice reminder there wagex, I saw something on OCN not too long ago where a guy's external DVD drive was causing issues like that.

:rofl:
i need to get my dongle replaced its useless.

As Atmin said!! I think the doctor has something to take care of that Wagex!

Had a similar situation a few years ago, wagex also thought it was the psu. Plugged in a crappy old psu from a dell and everything lit up. Went out and bought a seasonic unit plugged it in and nothing. Hmmmmm wth, put the crappy dell unit back in hit the power button and the mobo popped smoke and all. The Seasonic and original unit must have detected a short and didn't power things up. Moral of the story, play with your dongle. :D

Back