• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

to leave it running or not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scar

i was wondering how many of you ppl out there leave your computers running 24/7 and what the benefits and/or disadvantages there are for doing so.
Now i'm not talking about you guys who host file servers or actually use the computer 12-18 hours a day. i'm talking about the avg. joe like me who leaves home for a 9-5 and only uses the computer for about 6-7 hours in the evenings for gaming and internet browsing.
I leave mine running 24/7 as i have a large UPS 1400 incase there are any momentary power outtages which we do get alot here in FL. It's my belief that it's better to leave electronics running rather than having a daily heating/cooling cycle, not to mention long term damage by the rapid charging of cold electronics. What do you techie's out there think. TIA

i would like to make this a poll but i don't have that option.

I like to keep mine running cause its no issue. Laso ive heard its bad to turn it on and off a lot because the cpu expans=on shrinks= off and that comes to a cracked cpu overtime. So i keep mine on, i mean a cracked cpu would take a loooong time though.

I think there was a poll about this....I leave mine on but it might be interesting to see how much it costs to leave an ideal system per hour in electricity....and if you fold I'm sur eit's a lot more.

I just like being able to wakeup move the mouse and everythings ready to roll

I turn mine off because I sleep in the same room as the computer and find it very hard to fall asleep with other noise in the room.

Until I get a controller, I turn this thing off every night but leave it running SETI all day

ajrettke said:
I think there was a poll about this....I leave mine on but it might be interesting to see how much it costs to leave an ideal system per hour in electricity....and if you fold I'm sur eit's a lot more.

I just like being able to wakeup move the mouse and everythings ready to roll

I leave mine on...but 100 million puters on 24/7 consuming 20 watts/hr on idle.....ummm I think that's 48,000 megawatts which is more that 2x as much power generated by all the wind power stations in the world or the equivalent of 240 million barrels of oil. It also represents the entire output of the Hoover Dam used 24/7. Ummmmm maybe not such a good idea?

Last edited:
I leave my pc on 24/7 for 6days of the week, then leave it turned off for 1 day at the end of the week to cool down :D My folding rig never stops tho

The lappy runs Gentoo and is on 24/7 for a number of reasons:
- Folding @ Home
- Often downloading stuff
- I leave it on IRC so I can catch up on convos
- I am trying to see how much uptime I can get ;)

The main rig is usually on only when I need it, and is always off at nights.
- Its noisy
- Uses more power than my lappy
- Likes to crash (I need to try and sort it out)
- Parents dont like the idea of it being on 24/7 - and at the end of the day they pay the power bill!

My box is rather loud, so I only leave it on while downloading. My secondary rig stays on 24/7 to fold, but it's much quieter and consumes less power so I don't mind.

I'll admit that turning your computer off and on probably won't cause any immediate damage. Maybe it will decrease it's life from 30 years to 25 years or something like that, but you probably won't be using it then.

I (almost) NEVER turn mine off. I think the last time I tuned it off was a few months ago and that was when I was having trouble sleeping (smart fan II is loud at full speed) but I had the bios set to turn it back on at 2 am (after I was asleap) so I didn't lose much folding power.

So if you're looking for something useful to do with your wasted cpu cycles take a look at folding@home. (that faq is old so for recent help on setting it up go here)

-Andy

orion456 said:
I leave mine on...but 100 million puters on 24/7 consuming 20 watts/hr on idle.....ummm I think that's 48,000 megawatts which is more that 2x as much power generated by all the wind power stations in the world or the equivalent of 240 million barrels of oil. It also represents the entire output of the Hoover Dam used 24/7. Ummmmm maybe not such a good idea?

Tragedy of the commons.....

I leave mine on. I do this becasue

Folding @ Home
Don't have to wait for it to boot up
I'm always on aim, so anyone can leave messages if they do so feel
Its nice to start a few downloads before you go to bed

About the noise, I put all panaflows in my system (a 1.2 celey so no biggie on heat) and keep the side panel off. The noisiest things in my case are my hard drives. I've gotten used to falling asleep with it on. In fact, I have a harder time sleeping without noise than with.

And David, how is your cooling for your lappy? I remember nik making a post in the FAH forum about one of his lappies dying on him.

I leave the box on and turn off the modem(external because of linux) and turn off the screen when I'm not using it.

I have watched my electric bill and this is costing me about $3 a month for one computer.

FOLDING !!!!

24/7 baby. Computing the cure with my two brothers. The computer provides whitenoise at night anyway. I can't sleep without the computer on. :D Kind of weird.

i have dual PSU's...i at 650watts and 1 at 430....thats my dually...plus its LOUD....so no...my bro leaves his junker 400mhz thing on 24/7...the only prob is once anda while the thing doesnt supply a video signal and the monitor says "out of sync" (weve established its the comp)

SavageBasher said:
And David, how is your cooling for your lappy? I remember nik making a post in the FAH forum about one of his lappies dying on him.

Seems to be working fine. Only recent problem I had was I did an update and must have broke something - gonna try and fix it tonight.

Back