• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

to leave it running or not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
These systems run 24/7/365 and are only turned off if its hardware upgrade time, software patch time or the power goes out (No UPS's) :(

Oh, they all crunch SETI :)

@ Orion456: 100 Million PC's @ 20 W/h = 2 Billion W/h = 2 Million KW/h = 2,000 MW/h. Realistically, that isn't a lot of power, considering a standard CANDU-9 Nuclear Reactor (used @ Darlington) here in Ontario puts out almost 900 MW/h each, with 4 reactors to the station. :)

Or, if you don't like Nuclear power.... consider that the largest Coal-fired generating station in Ontario (Nanticoke TGS) puts out enough electricity every hour to power 196 Million PC's @ 20 W/h. It's not a lot of power. :)

Last edited:
SimGuy said:
@ Orion456: 100 Million PC's @ 20 W/h = 2 Billion W/h = 2 Million KW/h = 2,000 MW/h.

Isn't that what I said....x24 hours = 48,000 MW/day, every day...or 240 million barrels of oil.

SimGuy said:
Realistically, that isn't a lot of power, considering a standard CANDU-9 Nuclear Reactor (used @ Darlington) here in Ontario puts out almost 900 MW/h each, with 4 reactors to the station. :)

Or, if you don't like Nuclear power.... consider that the largest Coal-fired generating station in Ontario (Nanticoke TGS) puts out enough electricity every hour to power 196 Million PC's @ 20 W/h. It's not a lot of power. :)

So you're saying it's ok to build a NUCLEAR reactor, for say 6 billion dollars (guessing) + associated running costs + security problems (an other few billion I guess), just to keep your PC running 24/7. And that PC is doing nothing at 20 W/h, if it's folding, ummm, that's 3-4x more or an ENTIRE nuclear reactor. To me it seems crazy. I mean here we are harming people all over the place for oil.....just to keep some computers going 24/7 cuz you don't want to turn it off? WHOA!

orion456 said:
I mean here we are harming people all over the place for oil.....just to keep some computers going 24/7 cuz you don't want to turn it off? WHOA!

Then turn your computer off.

leave your fridge on 24/7 just becasue you want to keep food cold? WHOA!
leave your alarm clock plugged in because you want to know the time? WHOA!
Put your clothes in the drier to dry them? WHOA!
keep your hot water heater plugged in so you can take a warm shower? WHOA!
drive a car when you can take public transportation? WHOA!
Throw away junk mail because you are too lazy to recycle it? WHOA!

I mean, come on... :rolleyes:

Thanatos_2005 said:
I turn mine off because I sleep in the same room as the computer and find it very hard to fall asleep with other noise in the room.

Same here.

I don't have a single reason to leave mine on.

my main rig which is in a full tower case stays on 24/7 and I reboot about once every two weeks.... just have to make sure to oil all the fans once or twice a year.... I have to be able to stay in touch with the people I need to be able to stay in touch with..... :p

SavageBasher said:
Then turn your computer off.

leave your fridge on 24/7 just becasue you want to keep food cold? WHOA!
leave your alarm clock plugged in because you want to know the time? WHOA!
Put your clothes in the drier to dry them? WHOA!
keep your hot water heater plugged in so you can take a warm shower? WHOA!
drive a car when you can take public transportation? WHOA!
Throw away junk mail because you are too lazy to recycle it? WHOA!

I mean, come on... :rolleyes:

Fridge --> prevents massive food spoilage and promotes hygiene and healthy food like vegetables and fruits
Clock ---> necessary for a modern society to run (imagine a subway with no clocks)
Dryer ---> necessary for hygiene especially in cold climates (mold and mildew grow in cold and damp)
Hot water ---> necessary for hygiene and health (cleaning, washing, sanitizing)

The above things aren't there just for convenience they are absolutely necessary for a large functioning society to exist. But cars and junk are not, and it is obscene the way we use resources to feed convenience. Future generations will look back at us and cry. I sure hope you don't think what we are doing is sane. Adding idle computers consuming nuclear reactor levels of energy...that is also a little crazy.

Last edited:
orion456, i respectfully request you GET OFF MY Thread Dude, or stay on track. jfc, enough thread hijacking already. TY. :mad:

Scar said:
orion456, i respectfully request you GET OFF MY Thread Dude, or stay on track. jfc, enough thread hijacking already. TY. :mad:

Scar said:
was wondering how many of you ppl out there leave your computers running 24/7 and what the benefits and/or disadvantages there are for doing so.:

That was the question...."to leave it running or not", "benefits and/or disadvantages"...I am on topic. I think squandering world resources would count as a definite disadvantage and a valid reason not to leave it running 24/7...is it not? .... chill man.

Last edited:
squandering world resources......... do you honestly believe that if we turn our computers off at night, then the nuclear power plants will just go away? Our world is constantly searching for new power sources, and nuclear power is an excellent source of power. Do you think that businesses will turn only the lights and computers that they need as to conserve energy so the power drain goes down? No, the convienence of just turning all of the lights and computers on at once is enough that they don't give that the power drain is more than it could be. Your argument is completely pointless and it based from the outlook that the world would be a perfect place if we would only turn our pc's off. Good luck trying to force people to conserve energy like that. Human nature preserves convenience.

I leave my PC on 24/7. Generally when I am not home it's running prime or d/ling or in suspend mode. When I am home I play games burn cds, etc.......

My g/f's computer is running 24/7 as well (right next to my pc). My duallie rig (when it works) runs 24/7 also.

I leave mine on 24/7... Only reboot when installations require it.

Here's a point to consider...

When does a lightbulb usually burn out?

When you first turn it on. ;)

Keep it chill guys. Orion has a perspective, and it isn't unfounded at all. "His Highest" has granted each of us the ability to take our own perspectives, and its ok to disagree.

Yeah, I'm sorry Orion if I came off as rude. I'm just a little irritated when people are critical of only one aspect of life, and ignore that major problems that society has. I can respect your perspective about it, even if I disagree on certain points. Your idea does have a good point that wasted energy is exactly that, a waste. Until you look at the positive benefits that the energy is creating. F@H isn't there to waste power, it's there to research and create cures for the diseases that plague society.

I leave most of my computers on 24/7. The energy they use can be saved through turning some lights off, or not having to have the heating on for so long (FAD farms can get kind of warm...).

But here's an ethical one for you, considering Orion's POV:
Would you rather cure cancer or preserve Earth's natural resources? Assuming that either of those was definitely possible.

Biggles 266 said:
Would you rather cure cancer or preserve Earth's natural resources? Assuming that either of those was definitely possible.

I would rather fold with my monitor turned off whenever I'm not in front of my computer. :)

Back