• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

to leave it running or not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the same place math tests and fluorescent light bulbs came from :D :rolleyes:

Xenocide said:
who exactly told you that....

a computer, especially a g3 doesn't generate enough heat to make metal expand and contract at a noticable level

The thing does not move anywhere, and is not exposed to vibrations, my mom is too illiterate to even know how to open the case, and every time it breaks, the only thing the guy she takes it to does to it is reseat the connections on stuff. I've talked with him about it.

Something is making the cards work themselves loose, thats all I know.

a computer, especially a g3 doesn't generate enough heat to make metal expand and contract at a noticable level

my G3 does get kinda hot....runs GREAT, but with OSX on it it works pretty hard...but still...which cards are comming loose? if u say like CPU card ok tha tmakes sense..but i dont see any reason for the PCI's to come loose since u can bolt em on

i used to leave my comp on 24/7, now i shut it off at night beacuse the Prometeia heats up my basement and it's kinda a waste to run it all night

Best bet is to simply see what your energy savings would be. I imagine in FL you're gonna end up spending quite a bit on A/C in the summer, and those costs could add up.

I also have read previously one of Dan's Data Letters when he mentioned that on average the real power-user of any pc is the monitor. Simply turn that off when you're away and you can cut a lot of the power being used, but still allow the pc to Seti or whatever else.

There *are* some slight issues known with turning it off and on frequently. Most apply to older, online-forever machines though... such as a lot of servers having hard-drive crashes when powered down and then back up for Y2k.

Really, I just leave it on, turn the monitor off and forget about it.

All my computers are running 24/7. Lets see...

1 old rig for a dedicated firewall
1 Video server
1 TV/Media System
1 linux box to mess with
1 family PC
1 for my Daughter
3 old P166 (for software experimentation on building "beowulf" style Cluster) Linux and other flavors of course!
1 Main rig to BIND THEM ALL!! 'oh wait' thats in the Lord of the Rings. :D

Last edited:
i have an old p3 here that i use as a server. it stays on 24/7 and so far has an uptime of 35 days.

with my pc that i use i only have it on when im using it otherwise i shut it down.

Back