• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TOP AMD board for FX-9590 ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShrimpBrime

~MadHatDeLidder~
Need a little inside advise for running FX-9590 (possibly de-lidded at some point) and ALL types of cooling.

Looks like NewEgg doesn't have any new 990 chipset UD7 available.

So UD3 990FX Newegg 125$

Asus Crosshair V OUT OF STOCk :( or the usual SaberKitten....

Perhaps AsRock Xtreme 9 would be ideal?

Here's my major malfunction.... I am not keen on Gigabyte bios and layout. Boards are robust though. Asus, very familiar with, Very Robust, but seemingly hard to come across the Crosshairs for a decent price. AsRock, a decent bios, not entirely sure how well they hold up under extreme torcher? But familiar with older boards and a couple of newer models, I had a lot of fun with AsRock through the years. My last I7 was run on AsRock. But I didn't beat on it.

Any suggestions or pointers and questions welcome. No limit on $$ as it's a birthday gift to myself this year.

You out of the double-dipping job situation?...( work alluh time)

...you better be iffen you going to give yourself that sort of B-day present. Hehehe.

Just went to see how Asus and Asrock were treating bios updates for their big boys since nothing but the newer odd series of FX 8 cores is around.

Bios > 1.70 > 6/11/2014 > latest bios date. Asrock 990FX EXT9

Bios > 2501 > 2014/05/14 > latest bios date. Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Date wise both boards are still updated for the latest cpus.

Personally I would have not problem with the Asrock EXT 9 and expecting it to tote the mail, but neither would I have any issue with the idea of pushing the Saber*****cat. Both the same money.

Never had the Saber*****cat and only the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional and the CHV's. My Asrock FatLady is NOT for sale.

Been a couple of EXT9s come thru back months and months ago. No real issues. The cpu and NB LLCs are fine on the Asrock board they just are named differently and thus when you choose a max number on Asus for a lot of added LLC, you choose a smaller percentage to sort of do the same thing on Asrock EXT9. It seems the two are bassackwards. Likely due to how the bios engineers were thinking of the definition. They both work equally well when which is what is understood. After I said oh shett the two companies have LLCs backwards...nothing to it.

However the guys in here that do a huge portion of the answering are way more than familiar with the two big boy Asus boards. You will do some trail blazing with the EXT 9. Hale you up to at shett though. Hehehe.
Glad to see you back some man.
RGone...ster.

EDIT:
Well I see ATMINSIDE has the EXT 9 since he posted just before I clicked on SUBMIT. He is not complaining.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
I have run the UD3 not sure if I could recommend it completely for pushing the big boy hard like I think you will. My rec would be ...... in this order .....

CHVZ
CHV
Sabertooth
Asrock X 9

We have seen many people come through with Asrock boards and have issues not many with the new top tier boards like the Extreme 9 mind you. Only 1 that I can think of and if my memory is right the board didn't last long and he is rocking a CHVz now. Might have a solution for you if you but can't discuss that here PM me.

Last edited:
Might have a solution for you if you are looking for an older non Z board but can't discuss that here PM me.

That sounds mighty black ops type shett to me. Hehehe
RGone...ster.

Don't let the PuhLeeze gat choo.

attachment.php

Yes ...... I'm a duckin ......and outaa here tonight.

Did a little readin on them new fangled 2011v3 today when I had the chance not really sure what to think and it is a very expensive venture when you are talking 1200 + tax and shipping to go down that road + a new water block. This waiting for AMD to do something new is getting hard. :rain:

looks like we are leaning away from the Gigabytes round here huh!??

ATMIN those are impressive numbers. How long have you had this board for?

Nah RG working two jobs instead of three. Free up my Sundays, but that brings my pay scale under 6 figures, but that's ok as the bills are all caught up now, should be good to roll out some time here and there.

Had a Rev 1 saber. It was a decent clocker, hated cold. Rev 2.0 I hear doesn't have this bug.... but I don't even want to chance it. I need to know this biotch can handle -179c for a few hours at any given point in time. SO the Sabo, will be my last Asus option, likely go towards anything that's known for never having a CB issue would be the way I want to go. Thanks for the info on bios for XT9!

@bassnut, as I do really love the offer, I will keep it in mind cause I would like something NIB.

Pretty much would like to join the 8ghz club this year. So the Cpu may not be posted until an LN2 pot is ready to be filled. It'll post bios once on liquid, the right to the cold just like that little 4300, MF'er made it to 7.2xxGhz to my unholy suprise on a much lesser board than I'm looking for now.

Looks like FRYs has the Formula V Z for 219$.. This may be the one! http://www.frys.com/product/7582666?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I really like the color of the UD3 though guys. Just a sweet looking board. But man that CHVZ .... All the bells and whistles.

Shrimpy if you're going cold all the bells and whistles are there for the CHV-Z $219 is a pretty good price too. Remember it also gives you ROG connect which is awesome when really pushing.

I bought that 8350 and Extreme9 used on OCN about a month ago. The guy had only ever run it up to 4.7, and only on a D14.
Purchased just for the purpose of benching AM3/AM3+ chips. The 12+2 power phases had me at hello.

How can you say no to this lineup of power parts?!
174264.jpg

Don't even consider the UD3 for what you're doing, trust me.
I've got the 970A-UD3, and while it's a great board, it isn't a top tier board.

12+2 power phase is very very appealing, same with the board colors.

So what I am doing at this moment is looking through Subs to see what the 8ghz clubbers are running for mobos.

Matose @ 8021mhz using Gigabyte UD5

MoMS @ 8246mhz using the AsRock Xtreme9

ananerbe @ 8281mhz using the Formula-z

_12_ @ 8316mhz using the Formula-z

ctrlfix Fastest @ 8343mhz also using the Formula-Z

These are all top 8ghz submissions for FX-9590 at HWBot. My competition if you will.

Going to search HWBot more for 8ghz plus submissions and compairing boards between the XT9 and the CHVZ. But it looks like if I want BIG numbers I must hope for a Cpu than can produce them as well.....

That said, where would be the better place to purchase a FX-9590?? Certainly production dates may make some difference. My only draw back is I have this gift card to TD and was going to purchase the cpu in Illinois here, but also know I haven't had good luck with local chips......

Just shy of "six figures" in the Midwest and a $200 mobo is giving you fits?

If you are going to attempt to sell outside the classies people, be a little more discrete about it or follow the rules and don't do it... in public. Lol!

If you pickup a CHV, not the CHV-Z you may have problems with the board recognizing it properly according to the CPU support list.
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULA/HelpDesk_CPU/

I'd certainly go for a CHV-Z and those are easier to find nowadays anyway. Good CHV boards aren't too easy to find and I believe it's partially due to it supporting unlocking CPU cores with AM3 chips - The newer CHV-Z does not.
The Saberkitty would obviously be my other choice from the Asus lineup.

Luckily I have one of each and a Saberkitty 2.0 - So far so good with these.

Can't speak for an ASRock as having experience or even to compare vs either Asus model but if I did have one of each make I could do that.

Just shy of "six figures" in the Midwest and a $200 mobo is giving you fits?

If you are going to attempt to sell outside the classies people, be a little more discrete about it or follow the rules and don't do it... in public. Lol!

Having Fits??? !!! Sounds like your trolling me. ReRead OP... NVM I quote for you.
No limit on $$ as it's a birthday gift to myself this year.

Meaning money isn't really an object....

Who mentioned anything about a sale here? I was made an offer to inquire in PM.

We know the rules here, Thanks EarthDog.

@ McCoy

Probably the CHVZ for sure. But I do like the XT9 by AsRock. 12+2 power phases man. That's where my decision comes to get hard. A great Asus board with only 8+2 or the AsRock with 12+2, but it seems for extreme chilling the Asus board is more commonly used.

Johan thank you for the link. Page 2 summed it up without further reading.

@Atmin, brother... I'm not sure what I'm looking for or at, but on the 1188 img it looks like there may be some damage? Or is that thermal paste or something? Looking at it near the 8 pin power plug just up and near the edge of the board.... Also looks like it has been frozen perhaps?

That's from a review, not my pictures. I just pulled them to be able to look at traces and hopefully tell if it's doubled or not.

The Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional was doubled or paralled, the EXT 9 is supposed to be using stacked Mosfets which is marginally different.
RGone...ster.

Shrimp I have the EXT9 and have not had the same issues as the ones listed at the "other" forum (ram etc.) I have had some issues and customer service was on top of it giving me RMA for replacement. I haven't gone extreme on it yet so i can't say if there are any Cold Bug issues or not.

If money is no problem I'm not sure why you wouldn't go the tried and true route though, CHV or CHV-Z.

Back