• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TOP AMD board for FX-9590 ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Shrimp I have the EXT9 and have not had the same issues as the ones listed at the "other" forum (ram etc.) I have had some issues and customer service was on top of it giving me RMA for replacement. I haven't gone extreme on it yet so i can't say if there are any Cold Bug issues or not.

If money is no problem I'm not sure why you wouldn't go the tried and true route though, CHV or CHV-Z.

The CHV-Z would be the only choice between the two, according to Asus it's latest BIOS for the earlier model CHV doesn't support any 9xxx chips.

The CHV-Z has a proven track record vs something that's basically new and may or may not be trouble. I don't mind "Blazing Trails" as long as I'm not gonna pay for it in a bad way. Also the choice of MOSFETs used per quality of these makes a difference, just ask those that owned MSI 790FX boards that died - I'm one of them myself with a dead MSI board of that model run. True, MSI didn't have a good power phase (4+1) for those boards trying to run a 6 core but it was said they used some really cheap-o MOSFETs, that being a factor with some of the deaths those boards suffered from. Some died pushing 4 cored chips hard so that kinda makes the "They ran a 6 core" argument a tad mute.

Now.... I can't say ASRock is using a cheap-o set of MOSFETs, I'm sure with this being one of their new bad boy models they at least made sure it was going to live uner the heel of a 9xxx chip but with the reported problems Johan referred to, I'd have to say "Hmmmm" about it.

I'd go with the tried and true board for peace of mind about it. Not saying the new ASRock model isn't good but personally I'd want more of a good track record/history to stand behind it before saying I'd pick one up to use with a 9xxx chip.

You know Dr. McCoy...

...I think you have the absolute straight of it. I remember back up in an earlier post something about the 3 or 4 top guys over at HWBOT as being his targets, well you don't enter a fight with untested weapons. You leave trail blazing as a hobby you do when you are not going after the big boys. If I was in play mode, I would have no bad feeling about giving an EXT9 a go, but if I had just gotten a new DICE pot or the like and wanted to make real dedicated runs after some big guns; I want a .45 not a .22 for the getting after. My thinking.
RGone...ster.

Exactly.

If I'm going to see if I can knock off some of the big boys I'd want a piece that has been proven to get the job done, not something that is unproven. With that said, I'm not one that has the $$ to toss around, I'd want the tried and true stuff to go for it with.
It's like what would you use for Socket 939?
A DFI of course - Proven to be the best overall with results backing it up over the years.

While I can't say the ASRock board isn't good, I certainly cannot say it is either. I do know from results proven at the bot the CHV-Z is one that has a good track record and has results to back it up with. The thread Johan linked to also stated FSB speed seems to be limited with it, my CHV-Z can top 300 no prob so if wanting to run something that has a locked mulitplier such as a 145 Sempy, that's what I would go with.

I realize some have clocked it up and done well with it but I'd still be iffy about it vs a CHV-Z.

Sounds like you have a good one and as long as it's treating you well, I'd keep running it.

All I'm saying is if I'm not familiar with one, I'd be weary of it. No reason to doubt you at all here and I do know each model board has good and bad ones, even the CHV-Z's can have either a good one or a dud in the bunch.

It's a case of the chance you have of getting a good one vs something that just won't do it.

Keep in mind, I was more ready to jump out on the Extreme9 limb as I have had issues with all the Asus boards I've owned.
I knew this was the next best after the CHV-Z (probably tied with the Fatal1ty Professional, actually) so I waited for a deal on a used one.

Definitely have one that runs well, and it won't see a single day of easy usage from me.

I just think people should know that it's not really in quite as much of the underdog position as a lot of people make it out to be.

Firstly I must thank you guys for your very valued input! Means boat loads while trying to make the proper desicion.....

Atmin, although 350th bus frequency is indeed impressive, it's not really that uncommon. I've experienced that the board isn't always the issue, the cpu must also be willing to play the same ball game, and noticing the processor you used, we can say the board is capable for it. And that's a plus plus.

I'm sitting now still finding it difficult to make a decision based on all this info so far. Let me explain why....

My as rock extreme 4 was just a solid beast with plenty of guts and nuts to run a 3770k daily at 5th daily with acceptable Temps on liquid cooling . But that i7 is by no means anything like an AMD processor. BUT, the board was solid except one issue I had with it only running single channel, slot one was dead in the water. THAT however does not discourage me as when I run for big numbers, I'll only use a single stick of ramy and will even try different slots available to see how the memory controller will react....

Now with Asus, primarily used by myself throught the years, have had similar problems that As Rock has had. USB 3.0 problems on my F1 platform drives me nuts. To this day I'm 2 ports short of being able to use them all. Is what ithe is .....

Very likely be getting the formula z. It's been many moons since I've purchased anything for a hard core oc session . And delidding an expensive cpu without practice will have my nerves in a clench lol.

By the time I get back home from vacation, I'll have made a decision , hopefully for the best!

Again many thanks for your inputs, now off to further reading Johansson link is very informative, just haven't finished reading it all to make any statements yet.

Oh, absolutely. I've had chips that will and won't run 300+ already, but I know it's a CPU limit for my individual board.

I don't think you can make a truly wrong decision here, all the boards mentioned in here are beyond solid and will serve you well.

ITS TRUE!!

Ordered from the egg. Gonna be 4-7 days shipping.

Also pulled the trigger on that 9590 in the classies, it's mine mine all mine hahaha. The price was right.

Back