• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Toxic outgassing from computers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hullan

Not really sure where to put this - couldnt find any general hardware.

So this is a serious question I've been pondering - and NO I am not a treehugger - I just want some input on this matter.

I swapped Power supplies on both my desktops this weekend - and the new PSUs had this "new PSU smell" that is very present on new PSUs but also on motherboards etc...

So I was wondering - from a health perspective - are computers outgassing any hazardous substances?

I know that we have the RoHS in place since 2006 and this is trying to diminish the use of certain substances - but I believe it is only diminishing most of them - not erasing - correct me if I'm wrong...

But still - with the RoHS in place - what is outgassing from our typical asus motherboards, corsair PSUs etc etc... ?

Hope someone wants to discuss and enlighten me!

mmm dat new psu smell :)

no worries no toxic gasses spew from any electronic devices less they were designed with the intent to create said gasses lol.

VoC's are what you smell.

New cars, plastics.. they all off-gas for a bit :)

*sniff* Ahhhh. I like that smell actually :p

Yes, but not in serious amounts.
Concentrating and inhaling vapors may be harmful or fatal.

pretty soon everything will be killing us, minor outgassing from most stuff is harmless at the time, but remember, outgassing from cows causes global warming.

Any plastic will gas off VOCs over it's lifetime in gradually lessening amounts. There are VOCs (volatile organic compounds) in all sorts of things. Toys, computers, cars, laminated furniture, carpets, desk lamps, the plastic trim around aquariums, etc etc.

Some plastics have very very low VOC levels, such as the plastic used for drinking bottles (PETE). Some plastics (like bakelite) have very very high VOC levels.

Not to worry. Most overclockers hold their breath for hours at a time when trying for that last MHz or .01 volt to kick in. So VOCs don't matter as much as beer in the big scheme of things.

just to throw this in here... Ozone from burning electronics can be pretty bad for you. If you have asthma it can be particularly bad. That said, its probably not gonna kill you and ocnoobs VOC comment makes more sense. If its really acrid and bitter smelling; and causing concern, I would probably investigate the power supply for damage.

just to throw this in here... Ozone from burning electronics can be pretty bad for you.
In that case, its probably best to not burn your electronics. I will be sure to scratch that off my list of things to do with my new motherboard. :p

Thanks for all your insights guys! I've always wondered about that new computer part smell - especially from psu:s

just to throw this in here... Ozone from burning electronics can be pretty bad for you. If you have asthma it can be particularly bad. That said, its probably not gonna kill you and ocnoobs VOC comment makes more sense. If its really acrid and bitter smelling; and causing concern, I would probably investigate the power supply for damage.

Seems unlikely that burning plastics would release something as unstable and oxidizing as O3. Got any papers/links/backup on burning electronics producing O3? This is an interesting concept that I would like to read about.

Seems unlikely that burning plastics would release something as unstable and oxidizing as O3. Got any papers/links/backup on burning electronics producing O3? This is an interesting concept that I would like to read about.

That is not possible, it's a pure myth. You need a high voltage arc to create o3

Exactly :D
An arc, anyway.

There are a couple other ways, but they're all endothermic. I'm not aware of an exothermic reaction to make O3.

Now burning plastics and computer bits does make/release plenty of things you don't want to breath of course, no argument there.

Exactly :D
An arc, anyway.

There are a couple other ways, but they're all endothermic. I'm not aware of an exothermic reaction to make O3.

Now burning plastics and computer bits does make/release plenty of things you don't want to breath of course, no argument there.

For sure - for the record my original question was of course not about burning mobos and psu:s :)

rofl. This is true.
On the plus side, burning them is the only way to get decently toxic stuff out in meaningful quantities! It's almost relevant. Sort of.

Back