• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Toxic outgassing from computers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is not possible, it's a pure myth. You need a high voltage arc to create o3

You should probably be correct before "calling someone out" (hint: theres more than 1 way to make ozone ;)). :thup: But this thread isn't about ozone, if you would like to know why you are completely wrong, send me a pm ;)

Last edited:
Post it. That's the OP, so it's at least sort of vaguely on-topic.

Or make a new thread if you'd like.

I want to know.

Here's a VOC and "out gassing" story for everybody. I have aquariums. When I moved to my new place last August, I noticed that the tap water had trillions of barely visible gas bubbles in it. This made doing water changes with water straight out of the tap impossible, so I had to set up a reservoir to gas off the water.

What I bought was a 20 gallon rubbermaid garbage can with lid. I was advised by a knowledgeable friend who's a chemist that I would need to keep it full of water for a week, constantly changing that water out, to get rid of most of the VOC's from the plastic before I could use the water in it for fish.

Brittanica said:
hydrolysis, in chemistry and physiology, a double decomposition reaction with water as one of the reactants.
You can hydrolyze Ozone, but you can't make it via hydrolysis as far as I can tell.
I think you're thinking of Electrolysis, the breaking down of water with electricity. Not something we do in computers much.

Ozone can also be produced by electrical equipment that uses high voltages, such as photocopiers and laser printers. Not, however, internal computer bits. The highest voltage you'll find in a PSU is 380v, and its pretty well separated. 380v and that much separation is unlikely to produce much via corona discharge.

Ozone is produced by arcs, regardless of voltage. Hence anything with a brushed motor create some. Computers do not use brushed motors.

UV can create it, but computers don't use UV.

How about a link? You're the one trying to prove something here :D
Would you listen to someone who said "This is how it is. I'm not going to show you how I know because I already know"?

Water system water is under considerable pressure, which dissolves more gas into it than would normally be in it. When you take the pressure off it by putting it into an open container those gasses come out. They're primarily nitrogen, oxygen, and co2.
Totally normal, most tap water will do it.
The effect is even large if you heat the water suddenly, as hot water can hold less dissolved gas than cold water.

How about a link? You're the one trying to prove something here :D
Would you listen to someone who said "This is how it is. I'm not going to show you how I know because I already know"?
That's his MO. I'm sure you'll be thoroughly amused. ;)
I'm staying out of this thread for a reason. :p

Yeah, you guys are going off on a wild tangent now. I said when electronics "burn up" (this is a metaphor for "electrically fail", pretty common terminology nowadays), that ozone can be produced. I did not say that "PSU's produce ozone". I said failing electronics.

Here, allow me to quote myself

just to throw this in here... Ozone from burning electronics can be pretty bad for you. If you have asthma it can be particularly bad. That said, its probably not gonna kill you and ocnoobs VOC comment makes more sense. If its really acrid and bitter smelling; and causing concern, I would probably investigate the power supply for damage.

One more time, since you guys apparently are enjoying your "jump to conclusions mat".
just to throw this in here... Ozone from burning electronics can be pretty bad for you.

A common symptom of electrical failure is SPARKING. It does not take "mega high voltage" as mentioned earlier, it takes a very small amount. Sparking from failed power supplies or other at-home electronics WILL produce ozone. In reference to the OP, if his power supply was having problems (loose wire can cause sparks), ozone is a pretty distinguishable smell and the reasoning for my initial post.

All this contention coming from a guy that thinks a o2->o1 is a "reduction" reaction. :facepalm:

If this thread needs more spoon feeding, Im happy to oblige.

In that case, its probably best to not burn your electronics. I will be sure to scratch that off my list of things to do with my new motherboard. :p

I avoided this comment because I assumed it was simply sarcasm to my post. I see you somehow were under the (false) assumption that I implied "burning electronics" was a literal statement. I'll try to be more clear next time, and won't use common metaphors for you.

If there were any more venom being spewed back and forth in this thread I'd need safety goggles. What does it ultimately matter guys? One of you is right, and one of you is wrong. I never took chem so I have no idea what's what. I do know that this is not worth getting worked up. Just walk away.

Some older Antec PSUs are infamous for having "lazy" fans, causing them to give off a smell similar to hot varnish when loaded down.

id me more concerned about a real life terminator cyberdyne issue arising lol, then our pc's really would be killing us.

i think if you are looking in your computer for voc's being released youd be better off worrying about other **** in your home.
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/voc/

after you take that big long dump then spray your air freshener you probably get a larger helping of VOC's ina few seconds than what ever your pc parts are giving off post manufacturing.

if PCs release VOCs us server/networking guys are in trouble but I don't think the do also

oh and "are you my mommy"
:clap: srry had to :rofl:

Most of the smell goes away in 1-2 weeks, but if you leave it in a car parked in the sun, the odor disappears in 1-2 days. Open the windows just a crack, to vent.

I don't know how toxic outgassing can be, but new cars used to fog up the windows badly for the first few months because of flame retardant chemicals in the dashboard and upholstery foam. Also flies reacted slowly, and I could always swat them with my hand, while flies in the house and garage always got away.

Back