• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble copying large files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I'm trying to transfer massive 50Gb+ files over my network to my file server but I'm always unsuccessful in the transfer.
I use Teracopy 2.3 as the default file transferer and it always fails with errors like "An unspecified network error occurred" or "The specified network name is no longer valid"

The server is located on the 192.168.1.x network and I reside on the 192.168.2x network. The networks are connected via a TP-Link WDR4300 running DD-WRT build r30016 and it is set to client mode to form a wireless bridge.

I have 12 TX errors on the main 2.4Ghz link to the 192.168.1.x network over the course of 4 days. (I can probably eliminate them all if I lower the TX power more)
However, the transfer just failed again and the TX error rate has not increased so they are not the cause but I thought I should mention them anyway.

I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to the "disappearing" server, or another way to transfer the files short of physically moving the HDD to the server (a pain in the rear)

Have ya tried pausing to free up resources then resume?
I was able to pause it when Teracopy was trying to re-establish the connection. Pausing it and resuming it did nothing, Teracopy just sat there....
does it happen if you're wired and not wireless
I have not tried, though that is the next step.

I was running the copy and pinging at the same time and here's the results:
No dropped packets. So how does the server just disappear? :confused:
Pings.PNG

Is it in MBR or GPT?
MBR.
Also it's attached to a Promis TX2 Plus SATA controller, not a TX150.

Copying the files via wire right now. Time will tell if it drops.
11Mb/s so pretty much as fast as 100/FE goes. I usually get 8.5 - 9Mb/s over wifi.

That shouldn't be an issue...
Have you tried copying without using Teracopy?

That shouldn't be an issue...
Have you tried copying without using Teracopy?

Yeah, just good 'ol explorer. Still failed and mashing "Try Again" didn't do anything. :-/

So far I've copied 37Gb... let's hope it holds.

Hrmm, what if you use a flash drive (or similar) and do a local copy?

Hrmm, what if you use a flash drive (or similar) and do a local copy?

If I had one large enough that would work. :)
I guess I can tell Macrium to break the image files down to 8Gb/piece next time too. It would make a lot of files but at least they should be easy enough to move around. :facepalm:

Still puzzled on why the server just drops... Up to 47Gb transferred now.

I do indeed love wired whenever possible :thup:
Me as well, but I can't have Cat5e wires running the entire length of the house :-/

I was able to transfer the first 100Gb file without any issues!
Working on the 75Gb file now.

Real test is the first image I made - 237Gb large :shock:

There are things called walls ;)

Actually, I think it would be easier to fish it through the attic. :)

Looks like transferring over wire was successful.
428GB of 442Gb transfered so far without an issue.

So it has something to do with the wifi bridge....

Right, it runs through the attic and down through the wall, coming out at a normal height for a wall plate.

Progress! Can you use the Wi-Fi with no bridge?

Back