• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to get to 4.2 on a 955be

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So an interesting follow up, this morning I set everything up like yesterday, brought the cpu v to 1.5 and gave the d ram v a bump to 1.5125 and started running prime. I ran it for a half hour temps went to 46 max settled to 42-43. I've been putting the back of my fingers on my heatsinks for the vrm but not on the northbridge. So I felt the northbridge heatsink and it was hot! Hot enough that it was a little painful to the touch. So I stopped the test and put the pc back to my 24/7 settings, which are 1.4 cpu v, 1.2 cpu/nb v. The pc has been sitting for an hour at idle and the northbridge is still hot. Is this normal?

I'm pretty certain it's not a problem with air flow I have 2 120's pushing air in the front of the case 1 at the rear pulling, 1 at the side pushing towards the mobo, 1 behind the mobo blowing on the back of the mobo and a 140 up top pulling.

I have the Asus M5A97 and running a 960T Zosma at 4.1 on 4.88 vcore and the Northbridge is pretty warm, even at idle. I'm considering fixing some kind of small fan to blow on it. It's definitely warmer than the sink coveing the VRMs and mosfets. They could have made the NB sink a little larger in my opinion.

So should I be concerned It really didn't feel much hotter when I was running prime blend then it does at idle. I was just concerned about frying it trying to get to the 4.2? I know there are always risks but if it's not uncommon for it to be hot I'll try blend again at 4.2. I also agree it is definitely a lot hotter than the VRM heatsink.

It's up to you. There are always risks as you say but being hot 24/7 concerns me and to rig a little 50mm fan blowing on it might be a cheap way to prolong the life of the board.

Interesting how when you write something it makes sense but after you re-read you can see how it's confusing. I wasn't going to try and pit the old heatsink on the new board. I was going to try and put a fan on or at least have a fan blowing directly on the vrm and nb. Now how is the real question. I rigged a 120 in there for now and it seems to be helping but it looks terrible. I'm still brainstorming, I was thinking of something like this. Let me know if ypu come up with something pls. Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209044

You know, that has promise! But I just looked in my case and I don't think I can get an 80mm fan between the big honkin' CPU cooler I have and the I/O firewall.

Last edited:
Was just reading the reviews on newegg, second one I read the person is using it to do the same thing we wanted it for.

Hum! I just did some temp comparison with a 60mm spot fan blowing on the NB and with it removed. The socket and core temps are actually 1 C. lower without it. The thing is, when you feel the temp of the NB heatsink with your finger, the case side is off and air flow from the case fans is disrupted. It's hard to tell if that is how hot the sink is when the side panel is in place. I guess the only way to know would be to set a remote thermometer probe on the heatsink and close the side panel and then try it with the side panel off.

Is there a program that monitors the temps of the nb and/or the vrm? I don't see any thing on cpuid or speedfan.

Well, it all hinges on where the motherboard manufacturer decided to place sensors, or if they decided to place sensors. Apparently, Asus only put one environmental sensor on the board I have and it's called "Main Board" both in HWMonitor and bios and in both places it reads 25-26 C. - no matter how I'm using them computer, whether I'm stressing it or not. I'm not sure what it is, what its measuring and I'm not at all sure I can trust it, whatever it is.

But here's a interesting thing: I moved my video card from the PCI-e 16x16 slot, which is very close to the NB, to the PCI-e 4x16 slot, which is quite removed from the NB. Wow! the NB sink is much cooler and the VRM/mosfet cooler is definitely cooler as well. Was there air flow restriction? Was it the proximity of video card? The card's not hot to the touch at all. Is it switching from PIC-e 16 lane to 4 lane? Now I'm not a gamer and nothing I do is video intensive so it works for me but wouldn't for many others.

Back