• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to o/c my pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beginner

Hello Everybody,

Below is the info on my HP xt934 Pavilion pc. I want to o/c it, my budget for extra hardware/cooling is $150 -

CPU Properties
CPU Type AMD Duron, 900 MHz (4.5 x 200)
CPU Alias Spitfire, Athlon Lite
CPU Stepping A2
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Data Cache 64 KB
L2 Cache 64 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

Core Voltage 1.6 V
I/O Voltage 1.6 V
Typical Power 24.5 - 37.2 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 27.4 - 41.5 W (depending on clock speed)

CPU Utilization
CPU #1 0 %

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard Name Asus A7V-VM

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 200 MHz
Bandwidth 1600 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type SDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz
Effective Clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type PCI
Bus Width 32-bit
Real Clock 33 MHz
Effective Clock 33 MHz
Bandwidth 133 MB/s

Physical Memory
Total 503 MB
Used 174 MB
Free 328 MB
Utilization 35 %

Swap Space
Total 1230 MB
Used 136 MB
Free 1094 MB
Utilization 11 %

Virtual Memory
Total 1734 MB
Used 310 MB
Free 1423 MB
Utilization 18 %

Memory Module Properties
Serial Number None
Module Size 256 MB (1 rows, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type SDRAM
Memory Speed PC133 (133 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage LVTTL
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Normal (15.625 us), Self-Refresh
Highest CAS Latency 3.0 (7.5 ns @ 133 MHz)
2nd Highest CAS Latency 2.0 (10.0 ns @ 100 MHz)

Memory Module Features
Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
Auto-Precharge Supported
Precharge All Supported
Write1/Read Burst Supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Differential Clock Input Not Supported
Redundant Row Address Not Supported

Chipset Properties
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8364(A) Apollo KL133(A) / VT8365(A) ProSavage KM133(A)
In-Order Queue Depth 4
CAS Latency 2T
RAS To CAS Delay 2T
RAS Precharge 2T

Integrated Graphics Controller
Graphics Controller Type S3 ProSavage
Graphics Controller Status Enabled
Graphics Frame Buffer Size 8 MB

Memory Slots
DRAM Slot #1 256 MB (SDRAM)
DRAM Slot #2 256 MB (SDRAM)

AGP Properties
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x
Current AGP Speed 2x
Fast-Write Not Supported
Side Band Addressing Supported, Disabled

Chipset Manufacturer
Company Name VIA Technologies, Inc.

I tried to post as much useful info as possible, I've read many of the articles in "Beginners Guide" and "Tips and Techniques". I've learned a whole lot. I'm very comfortable with tinkering with my pc, I upg'd to 512 mb a month ago thanks to the articles on o/cs.com.

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Beginner

Last edited:
All the information you need can be found around the site. Scour the forums as much as you can, do a lot of searches, and dig through the stickies. IMHO for $150 you might be better off buying an xp mobile CPU and socket A mobo off ebay. Unless you're just OC'ing for the fun of it, in which case searching is the best way to find out all you need to know.

The chip does offer some perspectives, but only as long as your PCI/AGP devices hold out.

Start upping the FSB notch by notch (3-4Mhz at a time if your BIOS allows it)) then run a stresstest like prime 95 (do a forum search - lots of threads with good info), and if its stabile go ahead, if not back off. (if your BIOS doesnt support FSB adjustment, use a windows based oc tool like setfsb - google is friend)

I dont know if the stock cooler will be able to handle an overclock. Maybe some other guys here wth experience? Else, by a nice cooler from like zalman, and add a few casefans. That should give you much better cooling for around 50 dollars.

Thanks for your replies

I've been searching this site for threads, but I have found very few so far that break it down step by step in detail. I just found out how to get into my pc's "Bios" settings by hitting the "Delete" key on a restart or from freshly starting my computer and tapping the key before windows loads up. Most of the articles and threads assumed the reader would know. I've gone into safe mode the same way in the past for "restore to last configuration that worked" mode.

I'm still reading threads and articles, does anybody know of a book I can buy regarding o/c'ing or someone I can chat on Yahoo/MSN Messenger/AIM who can break it down for me?

I love this site and forum.

More posts PLEASE, I noticed there are members with -1000 mgz duron processors on this site.

THANKS GUYS

CPUonNO2 said:
All the information you need can be found around the site. Scour the forums as much as you can, do a lot of searches, and dig through the stickies. IMHO for $150 you might be better off buying an xp mobile CPU and socket A mobo off ebay. Unless you're just OC'ing for the fun of it, in which case searching is the best way to find out all you need to know.

Can you specifically recommend the mobo and cpu, possibly a link? There's a bi-monthly Computer Expo near where I live, from others I've spoken too they have great deals.

Thank you for your reply

Sjaak said:
The chip does offer some perspectives, but only as long as your PCI/AGP devices hold out.

Start upping the FSB notch by notch (3-4Mhz at a time if your BIOS allows it)) then run a stresstest like prime 95 (do a forum search - lots of threads with good info), and if its stabile go ahead, if not back off. (if your BIOS doesnt support FSB adjustment, use a windows based oc tool like setfsb - google is friend)

I dont know if the stock cooler will be able to handle an overclock. Maybe some other guys here wth experience? Else, by a nice cooler from like zalman, and add a few casefans. That should give you much better cooling for around 50 dollars.

Thank you for your reply, I will do just as you recommend as soon as more replies are posted. I've read about memory/cpu/fsb/voltage o/c'ing and setting adjustments that effect pc performance. Hopefully there's a member who's o/c'd a similar unit and can walk me through the process. Most of the threads/articles I've read are based on Intel pc and related mobo o/c'ing.

I will keep reading as you suggest but hopefully a member can post some links I've overlooked or reply the process they used on o/c'ing a similar pc.

O/C'ing in increments as you suggest make sense, most of what I've read has stated about either increasing +33 mgz or decreasing -33mgz fsb/memory settings depending on memory/fsb mgz. For this reason I'm waiting on some more posts.

Again thank you for your reply :thup:

Useful links

Hello again guys, I haven't found any links yet the breakdown the basic o/c process step by step. I'm still looking if there are any links you guys can think of, please post.

You guys are great and again I love this site, I just read the Windows XP Tweaks and they have boosted my system at bootup and shutdown.

I dont see any guide getting any simpler than this.

Read every word. After you are finished read this. It will fill you in on the basics of memory, which is integral to a good OC.

After that... well if you cant fill the rest in with google searches then perhaps you dont have the mental capacity to overclock, but I expect that isnt the case.

Good luck.

:cool:

jackrungh said:
I dont see any guide getting any simpler than this.

Read every word. After you are finished read this. It will fill you in on the basics of memory, which is integral to a good OC.

After that... well if you cant fill the rest in with google searches then perhaps you dont have the mental capacity to overclock, but I expect that isnt the case.

Good luck.

:cool:

Thank you very much for the links, I'm getting right on it, I have some friends at school and work who are very eager to o/c their pc's as well. I will share the info. with everybody I know interested in the subject.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP I KNOW ITS ALWAYS THE SAME QUESTIONS AND MANY NEWBS DON'T BOTHER TO RESEARCH AND WORK FOR IT. I've read so many articles over and over that I know the benefits and consequences to what I'm about to embark on. I've made every effort so far to find all resources available and your help is greatly appreciated, I will post an in depth report on my O/C ODYSSEY.

I've read so many links and the ones that have been provided on this thread for o/c'ing my HP xt934 Pavilion with a 900mgz Duron.

I have the following problems, I went into the Bios is locked when it concerns fsb, memory, cpu and voltage - B U M M E R :(

I called the bios mfg'r(Phoenix) and they told me that HP buys it and makes their own modifications and config's to their bios - IN OTHER WORDS THEY(PHOENIX BIOS) CANT HELP ME :MAD:

My next bet was to try calling the mobo mfg'r. Their response was -

Dear Friend :

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is ZYC, and I would be assisting you today.

Sorry ,this board is a high integrated motherboard ,

normally ,such micro ATX board does not support overclocking .

Thank you for using ASUS products and services!

If you have any problem about our products, you can visit our support site below to search the solution at the first time!

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/support.aspx

IN OTHER WORDS THEY CAN'T HELP ME EITHER :MAD:

Last but not least I contacted HP via e-mail, their response was -

Please look into buying an HP or our new line of Compaq computers, this will avoid the effort in exceeding your outdated computers specifications.

IN OTHER WORKS THEY CAN'T HELP ME EITHER :mAD: (10x)

I read some posts other o/c'ers in this forum mentioned about o/c'ing closed architecture pc's very much like my own buy using software. Does anybody have any info. on this? I've read so much only to find out that I'm hitting a brick wall.

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Beginner

Can someone review these downloads to see if they will work for my pc configuration?

Here's a link with 3 pages worth of downloads to overclock your pc through software. Can someone review them and suggest which would work for my pc?

Here's the link - http://www.pchardware.ro/Download/index.php?catid=10

Thank you

Last edited:
Yes a lot of systems you buy fully set up will have the bios "locked" and no possible means of increasing FSB. there are perhaps ways of adjusting fsb on your motherboard - however you will not have a manual that tells you such. If you are still keen on overclocking I would recommend you strip out the mobo and replace it with a NF2 board. However as you are new to overclocking and you bought a complete system this task maybe too daunting for you? There are some software programs which allow you to overclock in windows the fsb if the chipset is supported I think one is setfsb and another softfsb?

OC Detective said:
Yes a lot of systems you buy fully set up will have the bios "locked" and no possible means of increasing FSB. there are perhaps ways of adjusting fsb on your motherboard - however you will not have a manual that tells you such. If you are still keen on overclocking I would recommend you strip out the mobo and replace it with a NF2 board. However as you are new to overclocking and you bought a complete system this task maybe too daunting for you? There are some software programs which allow you to overclock in windows the fsb if the chipset is supported I think one is setfsb and another softfsb?

Hello OC, how can I make my closed architecture HP into an open architecture pc? By changing the mobo and psu?

Thank you for your reply :)

All you need to change is the motherboard if you want access to the multipliers and FSB through the bios. For the motherboard you already have you would have to rewrite the bios to make it accessible - a task beyond 99.99% of us!

Found another d/l called ClockGen

Here's another link to software called ClockGen which allows you to overclock mem/cpu/voltage/fsb from windows. Unfortunately they don't have a version that supports my locked bios/mobo :( Maybe it will be helpful for someone else?

A7N8X.gif

Last edited:
OC Detective said:
All you need to change is the motherboard if you want access to the multipliers and FSB through the bios. For the motherboard you already have you would have to rewrite the bios to make it accessible - a task beyond 99.99% of us!

Hello OC thanks for your reply, I found this entry level combo mobo. Can you take a look at it and give me your suggestions?

Here's the link - http://www.pcclub.com/product_system_detail.cfm?itemno=UPG01024

sys_UPG01024.jpg

product_system_detail.cfm

Nah - you obviously need a mATX mobo best get a NF2 one not a Via one - not sure what the range is like - I know Shuttle do one also check out the Epox 8RGMI - not sure about others.

OC Detective said:
Nah - you obviously need a mATX mobo best get a NF2 one not a Via one - not sure what the range is like - I know Shuttle do one also check out the Epox 8RGMI - not sure about others.

I'll check on www.pricewatch.com and post them in here.

Thank you OC

Back