• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to o/c my pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OC Detective said:
Nah - you obviously need a mATX mobo best get a NF2 one not a Via one - not sure what the range is like - I know Shuttle do one also check out the Epox 8RGMI - not sure about others.

OC, I went to pricewatch and found the following mobo combos with memory

AMD - $144 Free shipping
SV266AD VIA KT266A / VT8235 Chipset 2 DDR Audio LAN 6 USB2.0 5xPCI 1xAGP UltraDMA133/100 ATX
ATHLON XP 2000 1.67GHZ 266MHz RETAIL With Heatsink Fan & 256mb pc2700 MEMORY

Dealer # - -CO-AMD1

T5140754-2739.jpg

AMD - Sempron 2400+ $173.95(shipped)

* NEW AMD Sempron 2400+ * /Biostar M7VIZ/ 256MB DDR 266 Kingston. Original Cooling Fan Included. All-in-one Video sound lan.

Dealer # - CMAM-201

T5476889-2269.jpg

Are any of these good choices?

Beginner said:
OC, I went to pricewatch and found the following mobo combos with memory

AMD - $144 Free shipping
SV266AD VIA KT266A / VT8235 Chipset 2 DDR Audio LAN 6 USB2.0 5xPCI 1xAGP UltraDMA133/100 ATX
ATHLON XP 2000 1.67GHZ 266MHz RETAIL With Heatsink Fan & 256mb pc2700 MEMORY

Dealer # - -CO-AMD1

T5140754-2739.jpg

AMD - Sempron 2400+ $173.95(shipped)

* NEW AMD Sempron 2400+ * /Biostar M7VIZ/ 256MB DDR 266 Kingston. Original Cooling Fan Included. All-in-one Video sound lan.

Dealer # - CMAM-201

T5476889-2269.jpg

Are any of these good choices?

I want an AMD processor, should it be an Athlon, Sempron, A64, Thunderbird?

Sempron and Thunderbird are both versions of the (older) Athlon core. The Athlon 64 is the successor to the Athlon and is quite a bit faster, but with a $150 budget forget it.

Get a Thoroughbred-B or mobile Athlon XP; not sure whether those are still made or whether they're still all the rage when it comes to overclocking, but they're quite fast.

As for the motherboard, get a decent one with at least an nforce2 chipset. If you're going to overclock, the motherboard is pretty much the one thing you don't skimp on. I kinda dropped this whole overclocking business ages ago, so I wouldn't be able to recommend a good, cheap one; ask on these forums, though.

Damian said:
Sempron and Thunderbird are both versions of the (older) Athlon core. The Athlon 64 is the successor to the Athlon and is quite a bit faster, but with a $150 budget forget it.

Get a Thoroughbred-B or mobile Athlon XP; not sure whether those are still made or whether they're still all the rage when it comes to overclocking, but they're quite fast.

As for the motherboard, get a decent one with at least an nforce2 chipset. If you're going to overclock, the motherboard is pretty much the one thing you don't skimp on. I kinda dropped this whole overclocking business ages ago, so I wouldn't be able to recommend a good, cheap one; ask on these forums, though.

My budget of $150 was for cooling my o/c'd pc, but since I'm having difficulty doing it, I have about $250-$275 total. I was hoping on getting a dvd burner but I'll sacrifice it for a better mobo/cpu/memory/gpu.

I'll do another search for mobo/cpu's with nforce2 chipsets.

Thank you for your reply :)

The following nforce2 chipset mobo's with member, hsf,cpu, integrated gpu, sound card

Here are the following nforce2 mobos I found, they include hsf, memory, integrated gpu, soundcard.

Biostar - M7NCD $142 delivered

BIOSTAR/Amptron M7NCD NVIDIA nForce2 chipset 266/333/400 FSB DDR400 PCI AGP ATA133 USB2.0 Audio LAN with cpu - ATHLON XP 1800+ 1.53GHZ 266MHz With Heatsink AMD Approved Fan & 256MB PC3200 MEMORY
T5265944-2246.jpg

Biostar - M7NCD $152.99 delivered

BIOSTAR/Amptron M7NCD NVIDIA nForce2 chipset 266/333/400 FSB ATA133 USB2.0 Audio PCI LAN AGP with cpu - ATHLON XP 2100+ 1.73GHZ 266MHz With Heatsink AMD Approved Fan & 256MB PC3200 MEMORY
T5221375-1000.jpg

Biostar - M7NCD $157.38 delivered

BIOSTAR/Amptron M7NCD NVIDIA nForce2 chipset 266/333/400 FSB DDR400 PCI AGP ATA133 USB2.0 Audio cpu ATHLON XP 2600+ 2.13GHZ 333MHz With AMD Approved Fan & 256MB PC3200 MEMORY
T5265953-2246.jpg

Do any of these look like good boards? They come with everything and with in driving distance of me.

Thanks for your help guys

OC Detective said:
Thats the same mobo 3 times but with different prices. The Epox I mentioned can be bought for $73. Its a NF2 and has full multi and FSB adjustment in bios unlike a lot of mATX's.
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA19849

Thanks OC, I'll click on the link and configure it with fans/mem/gpu/sound and make plans on buying it, do you recommend I get a new psu for it? Is there one you recommend?

You are getting to the stage where you are almost rebuilding your system! You sure it has to be mATX? Do you have the specification of your existing psu?

OC Detective said:
Thats the same mobo 3 times but with different prices. The Epox I mentioned can be bought for $73. Its a NF2 and has full multi and FSB adjustment in bios unlike a lot of mATX's.
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=BA19849

OC could I remove the 900mgz Duron Processor from my current mobo and place it on here? Are all Socket A AMD's the same?

Thank you for your help

Beginner , Go get a Abit Nf7-s v2 (Look In the Box Get One with Blue Rams Slots )
Then if you Still have $$ get a Slk Thermakright heat sink . ( this will help in over clocking for you ) get a good fan on it liek a delta , panflow or a tornado .

have some fun over clocking . then when u have a lil more cash get a 2400+mobile or a 2600+ mobile from exclabire with the good steepings and over clock to like 2.5 on avg for sure up 2 2.8-2.9 (really good oc's)

All this wont cost very much and will be a kick *** computer much beeter than ur 900 duron =)

OC Detective said:
You are getting to the stage where you are almost rebuilding your system! You sure it has to be mATX? Do you have the specification of your existing psu?

OC I found this Epox Nforce2 board from a place miles away from me -

Epox (Motherboards) $59

- Epox mboard for AMD Processors Model EP-8RDA3I Retail

-EP-8RDA3I NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset + Nvidia Nforce2 MCP Audio/Lan 8RDA3I
T5368100-1616.JPG

Another one

Epox (Motherboards) NVIDIA nForce2 $62.99

ONLINE ORDER ONLY - -

-EPoX 8RDA3I NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset 400MHz~FSB DDR400 With LAN(-Ver 3.1-)AMD Socket A PROCESSOR AMD ATHLON ATHLON XP DURON-CORE LOGIC NVIDIA NFORCE2 ULTRA 400 CHIPSET + NVIDIA NFORCE2 MC ATX
T4400752-3618.jpg

Epox (Motherboards) NVIDIA nForce2 $77.00
-

-EPoX EP-8RGM3I NVIDIA nForce2 Socket A with Audio/LAN/Video mATX NVIDIA nForce2 IGP Platform Processor Socket A AMD Athlon Athlon XP Duron
T5295759-3618.gif

I went to pricewatch and all these boards are from vendors with in miles of where I live, will all 3 work if I use my 900mgz Duron from my current mobo?

Yes both will work no problem (first two are the same). Only the last one is mATX however and it has no multiplier manipulation in the bios. If you are going the ATX route then I would recommend the Abit mentioned earlier by console or the DFI NF2.

OC Detective said:
Yes both will work no problem (first two are the same). Only the last one is mATX however and it has no multiplier manipulation in the bios. If you are going the ATX route then I would recommend the Abit mentioned earlier by console or the DFI NF2.

Thanks OC, I have a light school schedule on Tuesday, I'm going to pick up on of the first two boards. They are well with in my budget, I will start looking for memory next, my current pc has pc133. I have some other guides for putting my mobo in and the tools i need, I should be back up and running by this weekend.

YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED :thup: I'll update by next monday.

OK but remember if you go with that motherboard it is may not fit your existing case as you previously had a mATX motherboard.

I think perhaps before you go out and buy one of those two, you find out whether you are sure you must go with a mATX board. If A64 is not financially fesible, the typical XP dropoff point is XP-M 2600+ with an ABit NF7-S v2. Now if mATX will only fit, then it may be best to go ahead, but make sure or you may be wasting money.

||Console|| said:
Beginner , Go get a Abit Nf7-s v2 (Look In the Box Get One with Blue Rams Slots )
Then if you Still have $$ get a Slk Thermakright heat sink . ( this will help in over clocking for you ) get a good fan on it liek a delta , panflow or a tornado .

have some fun over clocking . then when u have a lil more cash get a 2400+mobile or a 2600+ mobile from exclabire with the good steepings and over clock to like 2.5 on avg for sure up 2 2.8-2.9 (really good oc's)

All this wont cost very much and will be a kick *** computer much beeter than ur 900 duron =)

Sorry I missed your post Console.

Console, OC and Jack Thank you for your input. That Abit NF7-s v2 you guys are recommending sounds great.

I was hoping on maybe getting a decent entry level mobo for now, smack my 900mgz Duron get it up to 1050/1100 get familiar with o/c'ing then move on to this Abit as I get more experience. What do you guys think? If I fry a mobo/cpu I'd rather it be the Epox/Duron than the Abit NF7-s v2. Then maybe a year from now move on to 2400/2600 mobile like Console suggested. In the end I do want to build a system and this sounds like it.

Regardless I'm going to start pricing the Abit.

BTW one thing to note is your duron is at 9 x 100 not 4.5 x 200. (Your FSB is "double pumped"). You would not get 200FSB wth PC133! Sure it makes sense to try limited overclocking with what you have then build from scratch at a later date when you have more money. There is not much you can salvage from what you have now that will be useful in any future upgrade.

Bieginer its up to you but the abit board if tuff i dont think you will frie it , I have Done some High Voltages on air and its still ok

Back