• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to o/c my pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OC Detective said:
BTW one thing to note is your duron is at 9 x 100 not 4.5 x 200. (Your FSB is "double pumped"). You would not get 200FSB wth PC133! Sure it makes sense to try limited overclocking with what you have then build from scratch at a later date when you have more money. There is not much you can salvage from what you have now that will be useful in any future upgrade.

If I'm overclocking the fsb I could jump up to better performing ram? Whats the next step above PC133? Lets say I get the Epox mobo, put my AMD 900 in and go with what the board supports, let say ddr400. Could that work? I have 2- $50 gift certificates from Price Club, I know they sell SanDisk ram in all config's.

||Console|| said:
Bieginer its up to you but the abit board if tuff i dont think you will frie it , I have Done some High Voltages on air and its still ok

Hello Console, I'm thinking about getting that Abit mobo, put my Amd 900 in for now, put in the memory the board supports and wait till Christmas for a new cpu. If I can do this then I'll be set :clap:

Will this work?

Yes you can put in DDR400 RAM and it will run fine with your Duron. The "balance" maybe a little lopsided but if you intend getting a better cpu later then there is no issue.

OC Detective said:
OK but remember if you go with that motherboard it is may not fit your existing case as you previously had a mATX motherboard.

I went to the HP help site to make sure if I can use something other than an mATX mobo. I couldn't find any info. I'm taking my case with me and after class I'll stop by the retailers who have the Epox and Abit mobo's.

Here's the link I went to but it just provided basic info. I put in the search window "case", "computer case" and "mATX". The info that came up was unrelated.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/ccsearch/displayans?

Last edited:
Hello Everybody I just came back from two pc parts retailers and they were no help.

I took my case with me to both locations and asked them if I could use a non-mATX mobo with my case and if that mobo was compatible with my 900mgz duron.

THE COULDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTIONS, AND ONE OF THE PLACES WAS NEWEGG.COM

I asked to speak with any of their technical people, they informed me that they didn't have any or anyone that could help me.

I'm about to make some calls right now to see if theres a retailer that can actually answer these questions. If anybody out there has a new/used mobo that they don't mind parting with, and it'll work with my pc. I'll buy it.

Going to make some calls now, I'll be back online later.

Beginner said:
Hello Everybody I just came back from two pc parts retailers and they were no help.

I took my case with me to both locations and asked them if I could use a non-mATX mobo with my case and if that mobo was compatible with my 900mgz duron.

THE COULDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTIONS, AND ONE OF THE PLACES WAS NEWEGG.COM

I asked to speak with any of their technical people, they informed me that they didn't have any or anyone that could help me.

I'm about to make some calls right now to see if theres a retailer that can actually answer these questions. If anybody out there has a new/used mobo that they don't mind parting with, and it'll work with my pc. I'll buy it.

Going to make some calls now, I'll be back online later.

I really dont know for sure about the mobo fitting, But I have took them that dont fit & moved the PSU and other things & got them to fit. Even if it doesnt fit you could go to a puter store that builds comps & maybe find a cheap used case if you run into probs.

The Duron in the Abit, I have done this & with pc3200 (200 mem) it performed very good & suprized me alot.

If you are trying to learn and go in steps its not going to hurt if you have to mod your case to get things working. I took a mATX and put a NF7 in but I had to move my PSU to the bottom font of the case. I had to cut a hole in the side for the fan to get air but it didnt look to bad & I was on my way to building & learning. It was quite fun. And the Duron/Nf7 was a scream compaired to my old PIII 600. Then later I put in a Mobile 2600 & then she was rockin. Good Luck

SJ
:sn:

Just got off the phone with

xtreme gear
united micro
cyberpower

I told them I wanted to upg the mobo in my pc, they all told me -

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO UPG THE MOBO IN A RETAIL SYSTEM

Does anybody know of a good retailer in So. Ca. or the L.A. area that I can call/visit with my case and purchase what I need.

Thanks again guys

Samurai Jack said:

I really dont know for sure about the mobo fitting, But I have took them that dont fit & moved the PSU and other things & got them to fit. Even if it doesnt fit you could go to a puter store that builds comps & maybe find a cheap used case if you run into probs.

The Duron in the Abit, I have done this & with pc3200 (200 mem) it performed very good & suprized me alot.

If you are trying to learn and go in steps its not going to hurt if you have to mod your case to get things working. I took a mATX and put a NF7 in but I had to move my PSU to the bottom font of the case. I had to cut a hole in the side for the fan to get air but it didnt look to bad & I was on my way to building & learning. It was quite fun. And the Duron/Nf7 was a scream compaired to my old PIII 600. Then later I put in a Mobile 2600 & then she was rockin. Good Luck

SJ

Thanks for your reply Samurai,

If you get a chance please read my previous post, I was told that I couldn't put a retail mobo in my pc. I know its possible. I'm just getting bummed out. I've seen cases at Fry's sell for $9.99 after rebate, regular price $19.99. If need be I'll go that route. I was really hoping on using my case. I'm going to write down the pro's/con's on continuing this effort. I was hoping to save some money and keep all of my components and drives and just get a new mobo and mem.

It's not looking good right now.

Thanks for all your contributions guys but I may just have to drop back and punt.

It's a hard road going from a retail system and upgrade. The front panel wiring is made just for that MB so you would have to rewire it. The cases are very cramped and the Power Suppies are just enough to get by for the system, not for overclocking. Your best and cheapest route is to get a case with a 400 Watt PSU on newegg like this: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-192-006&depa=0

Then just get your RAM, MB and a good HSF, your set with a fair system for light overclocking. Please note though once you get a stronger processor and want to go higher you may have to upgrade to a name brand PSU.

I hope this helps.

The people telling you that you cant essentially change your mobo are bsing you! It really might be easier to, as suggested, buy a cheapo case. They are not too expensive and would solve the issue of putting a ATX board into a mATX case. The biggest issue you may find with using an ATX mobo in a mATX case surrounds getting effective air flow inside. As you will note Samurai Jack had to mod his case to ensure effective air flow. If you dont want to run before you can walk and your bank balance can withstand it - look at getting a normal case. Otherwise go back to my original proposal of buying a suitable mATX board such as the Epox I suggested from Mwave and swopping out for existing one. Just to re-iterate there is absoultely nothing stopping you upgrading your retail system by changing motherboard - the bios is built into your mobo's bios chip not the hard drive or suchlike .

You could build your own case

Yea look at it this way, if you buy and it want work even with modding you can run it out of case until you get one that will fit the bill. I have even seen some build there own case. Either way just getting the Duron up to 200 FSB with DDR is going to be alot better than where you are. But with the Ultra 400 boards you are going to have alot better performance than with a Via or non Ultra chipset.

SJ

OC Detective said:
The people telling you that you cant essentially change your mobo are bsing you! It really might be easier to, as suggested, buy a cheapo case. They are not too expensive and would solve the issue of putting a ATX board into a mATX case. The biggest issue you may find with using an ATX mobo in a mATX case surrounds getting effective air flow inside. As you will note Samurai Jack had to mod his case to ensure effective air flow. If you dont want to run before you can walk and your bank balance can withstand it - look at getting a normal case. Otherwise go back to my original proposal of buying a suitable mATX board such as the Epox I suggested from Mwave and swopping out for existing one. Just to re-iterate there is absoultely nothing stopping you upgrading your retail system by changing motherboard - the bios is built into your mobo's bios chip not the hard drive or suchlike .

Hello OC, again thanks.

Thats what I'm doing, I'm emailing mwave tomorrow to make sure they have it in stock. I'll pick up the memory at Priceclub and. Buying a new case is out of the question right now because I'll be stuck with 1.5 computers. The system I have right now I'll eventually hand over to my mom. From there I'll build an new pc.

For this new mobo I want to get a new psu for it. I read many guides that overclocking requires more voltage and a stock psu may decrease the performance. Can you recommend a good psu, for now it will be for my 900 Duron but I'm planning on getting an XP-M like you suggested earlier.

Now I know what I need to do, I'm very grateful and appreciative for everyones contribution. I've learned alot in a weeks worth. I will pass on what I've learned to other rookies as well.

:attn: To you guys and oc.com

Personally I would get a new case unlike you like the looks of the HP one. As for the "no upgrading prebuilt systems" I've repaired Gateways & HPs with standard ATX cases so I know thats bs. I would get a new case, though, because it will probably be better for your uses. It'll probably have better airflow & may be easier to mod in the future (i.e. putting in a side fan).

Samurai Jack said:

Yea look at it this way, if you buy and it want work even with modding you can run it out of case until you get one that will fit the bill. I have even seen some build there own case. Either way just getting the Duron up to 200 FSB with DDR is going to be alot better than where you are. But with the Ultra 400 boards you are going to have alot better performance than with a Via or non Ultra chipset.

SJ

I'm going to go with a mATX board that oc recommended. Eventually I will be building a whole new system. For now I wanted to pump this one up and keep it for about a year to a year and a half. I'm not going to get a dvd burner after all. I'll put it in a new mobo, memory, and psu. I bought a 160 gig hd from Frys for $59.99 after rebate. I wont use it till I get my new mobo. All together I have $325 in my budget. This includes my 2 - $50 Price Club gift cards.

Again thanks Everybody, I know I'll need more help when I get my new hardware. Until then I'll be reading the threads in here.

Good night

Last edited:
Moto7451 said:
Personally I would get a new case unlike you like the looks of the HP one. As for the "no upgrading prebuilt systems" I've repaired Gateways & HPs with standard ATX cases so I know thats bs. I would get a new case, though, because it will probably be better for your uses. It'll probably have better airflow & may be easier to mod in the future (i.e. putting in a side fan).

Even though I can find a case and 350w power supply for $19.99 at Fry's. I want to swap the least possible. mobo/mem/psu should be $325, worth which is all I have. My pc has cdrw/dvd/floppy, 30 gig hd, and a 160 gig hd waiting to be installed.

I should build a new pc but I dont have enough $. I wanted to stretch my budget as possible because this pc in about a year, year and a half will end up being my moms pc. She doesn't have one but I'm trying to get her connected to the web and email. If I build a new pc from my drives now, I won't have a pc for her later. Its kind of a present I want to give her.

Update my current pc, then christmas next year, put all my $$ and christmas $ then build a new system. This is my goal.

Try and find out the specification of your psu - you may not need to upgrade right now as you have a Duron 900 which will not suck up a lot of current and power - compared to say newer cpus such as Bartons and A64's. Also what else is in the system in terms of dvd rewriters etc. That way we can determine if your current psu is up to overclocking.

Last edited:
OC, I hate to differ with you on this point but I'm going to have to for the good of Beginner. I know these HP's by heart and have worked with many of them. These cases are a pain, HP builds the case around the Motherboard. The front panel wiring is designed just for their boards, which comes down to cutting it off and rewiring. Then He wants to overclock, he need a better PSU and better cooling. These case are not build with standard size PSU's and many time very little if any space for a bigger HSF. So in order to make use of this case he would have to not only rewire but mod the case. Yes it can be done but this I don't think he's looking for, this is not a plug and play upgrade.

Now I hope you get the idea Beginner, your looking for a lot of work that most people that have been modding for some time will not mess with. I know of one modder that does nothing but HP's. But he cut's and wire them up to make them work and he will not mess with the smaller cases, only the full sized. You will make your life much easier just to look locally for a cheap case and PSU combo or buy one off newegg. You will thank me later.

Front panel wiring designed just for HP boards? The wiring for LED's etc will match any decent motherboard. His current motherboard is an Asus A7V-VM, all HP will do to it is change the bios chip to limit what the end user can do with it. The only possible issue can be with the length of the wire certainly not in compatibility. His biggest issue I see is certainly not wiring more the ergonomics of working on a mATX.
Edit just realised one other issue will be with running the O/S as this will have HP's "stamp" on it when installed.

OC Detective said:
Front panel wiring designed just for HP boards? The wiring for LED's etc will match any decent motherboard. His current motherboard is an Asus A7V-VM, all HP will do to it is change the bios chip to limit what the end user can do with it. The only possible issue can be with the length of the wire certainly not in compatibility. His biggest issue I see is certainly not wiring more the ergonomics of working on a mATX.
Edit just realised one other issue will be with running the O/S as this will have HP's "stamp" on it when installed.

Note: the A7V-VM was made just for HP it is not standard. The front panel wires are in one block, not like other clone cases with single plug for power, speaker, reset etc. So yes it would have to be rewired.

You are right on the point of the OS these computer came with Windows ME, just for HP by License. They also came with recovery disks, not OS disks, in some HP's they didn't even come with disks they have a partition on the drive with a compressed mirror of the OS and drivers and programs. So now he needs a OS, another thing to add to the list.

Last edited:
Compuwolf are you saying for sure that as its a HP it means the wiring is in a block or is that conjecture? I know for a fact that this mobo which is on general sale and not for HP etc only, is a straight swop for the A7V-VM and requires no rewiring at all (I have seen posts on other threads about it) so perhaps several mobos are similar and require no rewiring at all) perhaps a number of mATX's have this type of block wiring you mention?
http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v8x-mx/overview.htm
http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/f...les_gen;action=display;num=1070929985;start=6
http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/f...ard=a7v;action=display;num=1069799219;start=0

Last edited:
Back