• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to o/c my pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OC Detective said:
Compuwolf are you saying for sure that as its a HP it means the wiring is in a block or is that conjecture? I know for a fact that this mobo which is on general sale and not for HP etc only, is a straight swop for the A7V-VM and requires no rewiring at all (I have seen posts on other threads about it) so perhaps several mobos are similar and require no rewiring at all) perhaps a number of mATX's have this type of block wiring you mention?
http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v8x-mx/overview.htm
http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/f...les_gen;action=display;num=1070929985;start=6
http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/f...ard=a7v;action=display;num=1069799219;start=0

Hello OC,

I was reading the links you posted and it seems that some of the guys with locked bios just smacked in Thoroughbred AMD's into their boards? My pc originally came with pc100 but when I maxed my mem out at 512 I incorrectly put in pc133.

Can I just put in a Thoroughbred chip?

Thanks

To be honest I am not sure if you can put a Tbred in it - do some further research to be sure and if so go ahead with the PC133 and a Tbred.

I have seen no mention of this other Asus board in this tread, or any other for that fact. Your talking a Abit board a totally different MB maker, and yes their pinouts are different. The A7V8X-MX you talking about as a replacement is not a very good overclocker. All the links in the world are not going to change the fact that the A7V-VM was made just for HP, if anything your links proved my point. I have repaired well over a hundred HP's and the best bet always is to replace with a like MB when it goes bad. If they want a upgrade take out the processor, drives and put them in a new case with PSU and updated MB.

I have been doing this for going on 16 years the last 8 of which I own my business. I can't afford to make mistakes and give out bad advice. Beginner is just getting into OCing he want's more power and that is good. But going about it the wrong way is bad, he does not have the knowledge yet to pull off a install of a standard MB in a nonstandard case.

I'm not here to battle with you OC, but to point this user in the right direction. Why you continue to make statements without research to back it up I have know idea. I myself will never make any statements on this forum or any other without facts or hands on experience.

Beginner good luck on your upgrade I hope it goes well. You will make your own choices with this upgrade good or bad.

Edit: Beginner your board will take up to Athlon Thunderbird up to 1.3GHz, with no modifications.

Last edited:
CompuWolf said:
I have seen no mention of this other Asus board in this tread, or any other for that fact. Your talking a Abit board a totally different MB maker, and yes their pinouts are different. The A7V8X-MX you talking about as a replacement is not a very good overclocker. All the links in the world are not going to change the fact that the A7V-VM was made just for HP, if anything your links proved my point. I have repaired well over a hundred HP's and the best bet always is to replace with a like MB when it goes bad. If they want a upgrade take out the processor, drives and put them in a new case with PSU and updated MB.

I have been doing this for going on 16 years the last 8 of which I own my business. I can't afford to make mistakes and give out bad advice. Beginner is just getting into OCing he want's more power and that is good. But going about it the wrong way is bad, he does not have the knowledge yet to pull off a install of a standard MB in a nonstandard case.

I'm not here to battle with you OC, but to point this user in the right direction. Why you continue to make statements without research to back it up I have know idea. I myself will never make any statements on this forum or any other without facts or hands on experience.

Beginner good luck on your upgrade I hope it goes well. You will make your own choices with this upgrade good or bad.

Edit: Beginner your board will take up to Athlon Thunderbird up to 1.3GHz, with no modifications.

Hello CompWolf thank you for your posts,

Will I notice better performance if I do put in the 1.3ghz Thunderbird? If so, can I purchase the chip from you?

I noticed on reading a few threads that sometimes when you put in a retail chip or anything other than stock that the bios will sometimes default to 600mgz. Will this be my case if I put the chip in? If so can I get around it?

I'm learning so much here that one day I would like to apply it. For now I just want to squeeze out better performance. Then later down the road 1 - 1.5 year/s from now I will build an entire system.

By the way I email the maker of CpuCOOL about adding the mobo in pc and the corresponding PLL to the software. He emailed me back with in 1 day. If he adds it, $13 for the registed software doesn't seem like much to lose. If I can put in the 1.3ghz Thunderbird and get better performance. Then adjust the fsb with CpuCOOL to increase even more performance. I'll be a happy camper.

Thank you everybody, right now I'm about to call Excaliber.

Beginner

In a word, yes, you will notice better performance with the T-Bird. As for software overclocking with that MB it's a hit or miss. But the faster processor will make a differents and you should have no problem finding one on e-bay for cheap. Then just save your cash and build a new system when the time comes.

CompuWolf said:
In a word, yes, you will notice better performance with the T-Bird. As for software overclocking with that MB it's a hit or miss. But the faster processor will make a differents and you should have no problem finding one on e-bay for cheap. Then just save your cash and build a new system when the time comes.

Thank you CompuWolf. I checked on pricewatch for one and all that came up was a 900 thunderbird. Would you have one for sale or someone who does? I'd rather go that route, otherwise I'll do as you suggest and check out Ebay.

This will be the solution to my current problem.

THANKS TO EVERYBODY FOR HELPING OUT, BETWEEN THESE POSTS AND ALL THE GUIDES I'VE READ, IN THEORY I HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING ABOUT THE HARDWARE/SOFTWARE-BIOS OVERCLOCKING BASICS.

:thup: AND :attn: TO ALL

That is the cpu you need as for the swifty.. it is designed for a MB with 4 mounting holes, I'm fairly sure your don't have. But don't loose heart it's a fair buy and the swifty and delta fan can be used on you next system. So let's call it forethought :D

CompuWolf said:
That is the cpu you need as for the swifty.. it is designed for a MB with 4 mounting holes, I'm fairly sure your don't have. But don't loose heart it's a fair buy and the swifty and delta fan can be used on you next system. So let's call it forethought :D

:attn: I'm jumping right on it. Its for straight sale at $45.00 plus shipping. I'm doing it right now.

I'm feeling a natural high now. Thanks :santa2: came early this year.

I never once recommended he put an ATX board in a mATX case - the ones I recommended were all mATX mobos. As for making statements without research etc - you say that the Asus A7V-VM will only take up to a Tbird 1.3GHz with no modifications - why cant it take the 1.4Ghz Tbird (the 100FSB version)?

Last edited:
OC Detective said:
I never once recommended he put an ATX board in a mATX case - the ones I recommended were all mATX mobos. As for making statements without research etc - you say that the Asus A7V-VM will only take up to a Tbird 1.3GHz with modifications - why cant it take the 1.4Ghz Tbird (the 100FSB version)?

First I never said anything to offend you and if I did I'm sorry. And you misquoted me, I said no modifications. As for the the mb taking a 1.3 and not the 1.4 it's because of the bios plain and simple. These HP's had the option of a 1.3 in later models with the same MB and that is why it's a easy upgrade.

Guys I was on Ebay and found these 2 Abit NF7-S v2 boards recommended to me earlier in this thread.

This one is $44 shipped -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6711015368&fromMakeTrack=true

This one $74 shipped -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42011&item=6711085598&rd=1

Of course the first one I like because of cost. I don't mind buying these boards now for my future build of a new pc.

If these are good, I'll zoom on the $44 :)

This one is $40 shipped -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42010&item=6711189059&rd=1

CompuWolf said:
They are very good boards... Go for it if you wish.

With the $ I saved on just buying a chip. I'm going to buy this mobo and hold it. I don't think I'll find these boards for under $50 within the next year.

I was looking for a ATX case and found one. I got happy, I openned the side panel and got dissappointed. its a Compaq Deskpro PII but the middle of the case slides out. I'm sure I cant use it. These ATX cases are HUGE. I'll be digging too see if I can find one in relatives garages etc.

For an ATX case, is there a certain specification. The one I have here, the middle section slides out. Theres the mobo and a large card connected to it. This large card has another card on it which is the ethernet card. WEIRD! Never seen anything like this.

CompuWolf said:
First I never said anything to offend you and if I did I'm sorry. And you misquoted me, I said no modifications. As for the the mb taking a 1.3 and not the 1.4 it's because of the bios plain and simple. These HP's had the option of a 1.3 in later models with the same MB and that is why it's a easy upgrade.
I actually meant no modifications - not a misquote merely a typo on my behalf. Why would the bios not allow a 1400 Tbird (not the 133 version) yet allow the 1300 Tbird? The 133 version I can understand as that is not supported even if it is i assume v1.02 (as later models i.e v3.0+ were capable of running palominos and Tbreds).

Last edited:
Beginner said:
Please can you comment on the following link -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51147&item=5126082144&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

For $130 you get -

ATX case, 300psu, cdrw/dvd, speakers, ps/2 mouse and keyboard, 160g hard drive, screw pack, 3.2 p4, amd athlon mobo.

Also this link to look at pc starter kits
http://www.pronetsale.com/pricelist.asp

Thanks guys

It worries me that your geting a P4 processor and a AMD Main Board.. I would email him and check this, also see what kind of MB.. if is a trash one I would pass on it.

ive been reading thru this thread and im just wondering if anyone has mentioned that if you change the mobo you might have to buy a new os as the old one is linked to the oem board in the old unit

Back