• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Underclocking FX-9370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leerne

Today I was running trough verdant forest in D2 and this goddamn furnace overheated once again, so I guess it's time.

Setup:
Mobo - Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 (hate its BIOS UI)
Cooler: Zalman CNPS12X
Supply: EVGA 1000 G2
The issue: AMD FX-9370

I play some Destiny 2 and other games sometimes, that's all, I just want it to be stable.
I tried to set the multiplier to 20 and the voltage to 1.325 but it froze at windows startup.

What should I do with voltage/multiplier/anything to make it keep the temperature stable?

Get a better heatsink. That thing is old and can't handle that output. :)

Lowering voltage will lower temps, along with clockspeeds. What is your current load voltage when playing a game? Consider that your starting point for stability and lower it until you are not stable.

What are temps reaching? How do you know it is overheating?

Lol.
Multi of 20x = 4000MHz. You will need at least 1.4v vcore for that.
What is your in game temp?

Get better cooling, you are way under cooled for that CPU to begin with. Your motherboard is marginal at best for that CPU if you run it at stock as well its power delivery is just not designed for that kinda VCore an power draw as well. Like Mr Scott said start at 20X multy 1.4v and work up from their if your setup will allow monitor your temps for stability MAX 60*C package and 70*C Socket (CPU) as is shown in HWMonitor.

you got a cpu of 220w TDP for starters, :eek:, as said above, cooling is your problem along with not enough volts for stability, at minimum id have a double radiator AIO system and damn good fans ,as well in the case , volts means heat, on top of stock settings, or any mhz settings you choose to quicken it after , and id be getting a CH5 V-Z for it

FX-9370(FD9370FHW8KHK, 4.4GHz, 8C, L3:8M, 220W,rev.C0,AM3+)

You should be able to hit at least 4.0Ghz with that cooler and remain in spec on temps. Make sure you follow Mr. Scotts instruction on voltage requirements. Also keep your fans on the high speed setting for maximum cooling performance.

Multi of 20x = 4000MHz. You will need at least 1.4v vcore for that.
What is your in game temp?
In-game temp is usually about 60, I guess.
It just freezes at startup with 20x and 1.4/1.425. but at 22x and 1.44 (stock) it goes absolutely fine

Make sure you follow Mr. Scotts instruction on voltage requirements. Also keep your fans on the high speed setting for maximum cooling performance.
I did. Fans are already at top speed.

Last edited:
Zalman coolers look amazing, but they are intended for a low power near silent setup. Notice the fin spacing on the HS. Less restrictive sure, but not going to dissipate much heat.

Last edited:
In-game temp is usually about 60, I guess.
It just freezes at startup with 20x and 1.4/1.425. but at 22x and 1.44 (stock) it goes absolutely fine
That makes no sense. You're saying you can do 4.4 @ 1.44v, but you can't do 4.0 @ 1.425v?
And you're already maxed out on temp.

if i was running that cpu on air id be getting either of these at least, prob the dark pro4 , rated at 250W against the noctua at 220W, little bit more headroom for heat with your overclock, either that or go to water cooling, FX cpus are hot ********
i cant understand why these manufacturers (other than for money} dont do these "supposed" high end air coolers with the direct touch heat pipe set up, if they want a real high end cooler then produce it with direct touch heat pipes
like the evo 212 has, and we all know how good that little cooler is, its still up there and rates amongst them because of the direct touch heat pipes, but it hasnt the TDP capacity and wont cool a FX 9370 sufficiently IMO .

https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1378
https://www.avadirect.com/NH-D15-165mm-Height-220W-TDP-Copper-Aluminum-CPU-Cooler/Product/8640212

Back