• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Update via Dropbox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZapTap

So I use a lot of symbolic links to my dropbox folder to keep certain programs up to date between my laptop and antec 1200. Now I'm trying to get my sticky notes to sync and I'm having a hard time. Does anyone have a clever idea of a way to force windows to close and reopen the program when the file gets updated? Do you have a better idea, in case I run into the same problem on a more heavy duty program?

Any help is appreciated, and I hope this as an acceptable place.. I'm never quite sure. :chair:

A simple powershell script could take care of that. Monitor your dropbox folder every X minutes, if there's a change in the files there, kill the sticky note process, and relaunch it. 10 lines of code, probably.

Now to complicate things.. The file gets marked as "in use by a program". Since the sticky note program is already open, it won't let the file update and dropbox just piddles away at it forever. Any idea how to make up for that?

Depending on how dropbox handles it, it might be marked as read only while it's in use. If that's the case, change it, overwrite it, then change it back to read only.

Back