• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade few questions ATI to NVIDIA, 790 to 970 Chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackzero

Registered
So I have been away from the tech world a bit. I think it’s time to upgrade. My system build is in my sig. I have a couple questions.

I got my ATI 5770 video card for gaming and BluRay playback with BitStreaming of DTS HD master and Dolby TrueHD audio.

1.I see Nvidia can BitStream like amd/ati cards can. Is it as good or better?
I am looking at the GTX 650 Ti. This should work from what I can find. I can’t seem to find any issues or info on the BitStreaming side of things for Nvidia cards.

Example On my Ati card it has a realtek HDMI audio chip that needs a driver to work. Sometimes I have to play with drivers to get it to work after updating the Video card driver.

2. how does this work on Nvidia?
3. Are the new AMD cards just as good for HD and Bitstreaming?

Now I want to upgrade my Mobo from the 790 /SB700 chipset to the newer 970/SB950. I have chosen ASRock 970 EXTREME3

My am3 955 BE cpu ( or 965 BE) will work but I have DDR3 1333. I would like to take this higher Non over clocked like how AM3+ “natively” supports ddr3 1866

4. Will this Mobo allow me to upgrade the ram.

My reasoning and goal for not over clocking ram is to have a stable 24/7 build. My build now is stable 24/7.

I like plan answers to my questions because I have already spent a few hours digging, but I would love to know in depth answers as to why I can do this or cannot. If you have links I will read. I just don’t have the time right now to dig for days to find out.
Thanks for all of your great help.

p.s. I have always used XFX but they don’t make the gtx 600 series. What is a good brand?

The answer to the CPU /MOBO ram speed is as stated below:

AMD phenomII processors are only certified to DDR3 at 1333 by TWO sticks. There are TWO controllers in the processor (not on the motherboard) that allow full bandwidth to two only.

This does not mean You cannot make 4 work, it does not mean they will not run at 1600 or 1866 etc.., it means the PROCESSOR not the motherboard is typically Your limit. Motherboards do not contain the memory controller. They're certified to higher speeds to tell You the boards circuitry will be stable if a future chip supports it.

This post can be closed. I plan to ask my video related question in the correct forum.

BlackZero

Back