• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade from i7 6950 to i9 7900x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I will tell you that difference is not worth the price of whole platform. Performance clock per clock will be not much better while some applications can perform even worse because of reorganized cache in Skylake-X. Not all but some programs are showing that, especially games but I'm not sure what about rendering software. Benchmarks are not really showing real performance so hard to base on them. Maybe someone will show real rendering tests.
I'm happy with my 7900X but I'm not using it for rendering and if I had 6950X then I wouldn't even think of 7900X. Maybe 7920X would be better idea as price isn't that much higher.

6950x to 7900x?!?

Waste of time, money and energy... Same amount of cores, about a mere 5% IPC increase per clock...
No, not compatible with X99.

To summarize, @stock clock they'll perform about the same. CB r15 difference in single thread is only a matter of Turbo on one core. The 2 CPU's [email protected] or 4.4GHz (you won't go higher than that with either of those unless you go big watercooling and/or de-lid) will score about the same.

Don't fall for marketing BS! ;)

Last edited:
Back