• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade or Buy a New ONE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can always add an ssd easily down the line. Not nearly as simple to swap motherboard and cpu.

This +1

Well.. maybe not all of them.. the AM1B-ITX board I have from them is quite the little turd. Constant C state issues.
But their Z97 stuff is solid.

eXiale is the Extreme 4 available to you? If not, what about the ASUS Z97-A?

It's a board that's $40 MSRP, what do you expect from anyone at that price point??

Exteme 4 is available, easy to get

I've checked the spec and reviews. Seems to be nice low budget board.

Check out my review of the Extreme6, the Extreme4 is VERY similar.
They're killer boards and have features that some boards $20 more than them don't have.

http://www.overclockers.com/asrock-z97-extreme6-motherboard-review

I highly recommend the Z97 Extreme4 or Extreme6 to almost anyone building an 1150 based system.

@ATM
Nice review! 4,9Ghz -liquid cooled?

at hardware info approved as well, realy good mobo.

My GPU ver now is 2.0! see no point to put it in mobo with ver 3.0..
But ASRock comes with PCIe 2.0 right. so i can keep my GPU for a while longer and then purchase better one.

I think Extreme 6 because cpu cooler fixation is with screws, Ex 4 =push pins

Yeah, that was on a Kraken X60.
I've run that same chip up to at least 5.1 on that same board, but that chip isn't good enough to run 5.1 stable on the review suite.

PCIe versions are incompatible, your GPU will work just fine.

The CPU cooler is held on differently depending on what cooler you have, not what motherboard you have.

@ATM
Nice review! 4,9Ghz -liquid cooled?

at hardware info approved as well, realy good mobo.

My GPU ver now is 2.0! see no point to put it in mobo with ver 3.0..
But ASRock comes with PCIe 2.0 right. so i can keep my GPU for a while longer and then purchase better one.

I think Extreme 6 because cpu cooler fixation is with screws, Ex 4 =push pins
As ATM said, the CPU cooler mounting method is based on the CPU cooler, not the motherboard. All socket 1156/55/50 mounts are identical. 4 holes spaced the same distance from the socket.

I thing ATM meant to say that PCIE 1 through 3 are intercompatible, not incompatible. A PCIE 3.0 card will work (albeit with a bottleneck) in a 1.0 slot and a 1.0 card will work in a 3.0 slot. Never avoid a PC part because it has something you don't currently need. You will likely make use of it during the lifetime of the PC.

As ATM said, the CPU cooler mounting method is based on the CPU cooler, not the motherboard. All socket 1156/55/50 mounts are identical. 4 holes spaced the same distance from the socket.

I thing ATM meant to say that PCIE 1 through 3 are intercompatible, not incompatible. A PCIE 3.0 card will work (albeit with a bottleneck) in a 1.0 slot and a 1.0 card will work in a 3.0 slot. Never avoid a PC part because it has something you don't currently need. You will likely make use of it during the lifetime of the PC.

Silly phone :(
Standing at the car wash when I posted that :p

The 2.0card will run in 3.0 slot just fine or it will reduce the performance?

Back