• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading From An i7-860

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Intel did not remove the HT in the 9600k. The i5 chips have never had HT. They did bump the real core count of the i5 up to 6 from 4 beginning with the 8600k series.

Ryzen is a great option, especially for those who are, in addition to gaming, doing tasks like AV transcoding that can take advantage of the many cores and threads. However, they are about 10% behind Intel in per core performance at this point in time. Per core performance is really important for gaming as games can't use all those extra cores.

I'm suggesting the 9600k because I think it will give you the best performance per dollar in gaming of the various options. The i5 has always been targeted toward gamers.

No more second guessing myself on this processor decision: 9600k it is.

Price is not too much of a concern as long as the cost makes the purchase beneficial and the end results can be easily identified. When the price increase for a few additional fps becomes overly large, the desire to spend the extra change evaporates:D The additional funds could more wisely be utilized elsewhere on other useful items such as monitor and maybe even a new graphics card....

Thanks again for all of the help and information.

When I get the system specs finalized, I'll post them.

Cheers!

Get the 9600K and with the money saved, get a 1080 for that monitor. A 1070 will be OK, but a 1080 is better.

Thank you for the reply and information.

I am beginning to wonder how much of a difference I am going to see by upgrading from a i7 860 to an i5 9600k without upgrading the video card to something other than a 1070.. lol
At 1080p... quite a bit. That CPU is Loooooooooooooooooooooooooong in the tooth bud. Moving up to 1440, not nearly as much, but it is still there.

By the way, if I were you I would research the issue of whether your current CPU cooler mounting bracket is compatible with the newer socket 1151 used by current Intel CPUs. What exactly is the make and model of the cooler?

Yeah by all means if not budget constraint, go ahead. Some threaded edge going into 2020...looking more and more like the quad core will and can be dismissed.

I doubt quad core can be dismissed for now. Games don't take advantage of more than 4 cores and typical consumer doesn't need more than 4. (TacOpinion™). If it wasn't for amd more cores and less price thing, we'd probably still be having 4c/8t Intel's launching. If I were set on relaxing a platform, I'd just feed that i860 some exotic volts and see how far she will go.:shrug: maybe she does 5ghz .

It can be for enthusiasts. Many games dont use more than 4, but more and more do every week. For a gaming machine a 4c/4t clu would bottleneck some titles.

By the way, if I were you I would research the issue of whether your current CPU cooler mounting bracket is compatible with the newer socket 1151 used by current Intel CPUs. What exactly is the make and model of the cooler?

The cooler I am currently using is a Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler running with two 120 fans: works great and from the information I have read will indeed work with the 1151 mount.

I love being able to look back at old Newegg orders to see what was purchased. I do not enjoy looking back and seeing how much money was spent:eek:

One of the very first orders I ever made with Newegg was for a AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Single-Core 1.533 GHz Socket A AX1800DMT3C Processor - OEM @ $210.00 bucks back in 2001...lol

Last edited:
Notice my edit. I really think you should look at investing in a GTX 1080. On the other hand, when you get the new system put together you can reassess that. If you were to sell the GTX 1070, the longer you wait the more the resale value will deteriorate, however. Probably a pretty good market for the now as they are still relevant for a lot of people.

I agree about looking at a 1080 as an optional upgrade.

Right now, the three games that I am concerned with are DCS World, Battefield V and SkyrimSE. From the experiments I have run, those game utilize the following.

DCS World: Very GPU dependent and can easily show 95 to 100% GPU usage depending on graphics settings
Battlefield V: Very CPU dependent with CPU usage in the 85 to 100% range
SkyrimSE: Very GPU dependent hovering in the 85% range

So it looks like to me the more potent video card is a more pressing need than more cores/threads of the 9700k.

So it looks like to me the more potent video card is a more pressing need than more cores/threads of the 9700k.

I am definitely going to wait until prices fall back down to a somewhat normal level as there is no way I could stomach purchasing a video card above retail prices right now: worst investment ever:D

I am definitely going to wait until prices fall back down to a somewhat normal level as there is no way I could stomach purchasing a video card above retail prices right now: worst investment ever:D

Yes, they are kind of insane right now. They had started to go down a bit but now seem to be climbing again.

Here is the build list:
i5 9600k
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master LGA 1151 (300 Series)
GSkill Ripjaws V Series F4-3200C14D-16GVK 16gb (2x8gb)
GTX 1070 (Already have)
Corsair 750w PSU (Already have)
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler (Already have)
Monitor: Still researching

Cheers!

Looks good so far to me. You put big bucks down on the motherboard I see.

Looks good so far to me. You put big bucks down on the motherboard I see.

After reading some reviews and watching a video or two, the Gigabyte board looked like a good choice. What I really like about both the Gigabyte and the Asrock boards was the performance of the VRM. I plan on placing the order later tonight and the board could change to a Taichi/Taichi Ultimate variant after I research the BIOS of each of the boards: I hear the Gigabyte BIOS can be a little squirly.

Last edited:
My experience with Gigabyte is they make excellent hardware but their bioses are often buggy and half-baked. I am sure there will be those who disagree but that is my experience.

After reading some reviews and watching a video or two, the Gigabyte board looked like a good choice. What I really like about both the Gigabyte and the Asrock boards was the performance of the VRM. I plan on placing the order later tonight and the board could change to a Taichi/Taichi Ultimate variant after I research the BIOS of each of the boards: I hear the Gigabyte BIOS can be a little squirly.
Get whatever will be cheapest. You will run out of cooling before you run out of VRM on those listed boards. ;)

Back