• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using memtest86 to determine max stable RAM speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

Hey guys, I never used this program and I just wanted to know how much time do you run memtest and how many passes do you consider to be stable and at what settings?

Running Memtest86+ Test's 1-7 is a standard pass, and should take around ~20 minutes. Test #5 is the most stressful on the memory, so if you are sure that your CPU/chipset will be stable and are just testing memory speed then looping test #5 for a few runs (or running test #8 two or three times) should do it for a quick test.

Ideally it should be able to run 24/7 without erroring, so after you pick a speed, you may want loop the entire standard pass test a couple of times overnight for 12+ hours.

12 hours is perfect for gaming system or home use desktop
24 hours for workstation and front end business desktop
48 hours for server if you dare to overclock it :D

I'm surprise and happy when my secretary report that my desktop is 100% error free for 13 hours plus.

275FSB.jpg

Well, I just left my PC at:
210MHz 1:1 (FSB:RAM)
vdimm at 2.9 (2.97v in MBM)
lowered VDD to 1.5 from 1.6, I heard it does well on high FSBs
and ran test #8 for 2.5 hours, I got a bunch of errors at that speed and voltage, although yesterday on standard memtest run, 2.8vdimm, 1.6vdd and 205MHz FSB it did 6 hours stable w/ 0 errors.

RAMFSB.png

I'm still running the original BIOS which is the d19 or d20 (they are the same date on Abit's website)
I'm wondering if its time to flash to the magic d10?

*EDIT:* Also do you think that putting 2.9v (2.97v reading in MBM) is too much? As my chip+mobo just died, I don't think I will be able to afford new RAM anytime soon? or should I go back to 2.8 (2.86v MBM)?

Last edited:
I just want to squeeze as much as possible out of it. And I'm just asking why could I hit that wall because of RAM or because of VDD, or BIOS not liking that FSB too much?

PC2100 @PC3200 speed with 2.5,3,3 ?? wow !!!! about 50 % OC !!! what voltage do you give? 4V ? :D

asw7576 said:
PC2100 @PC3200 speed with 2.5,3,3 ?? wow !!!! about 50 % OC !!! what voltage do you give? 4V ? :D

heeh

default vdimm 2.6 to run @ PC2100

now vdimm 50% oc=3.9vdimm to run @ PC3200

:D

a wh00pin @$$ ocin' right there ehehehe!

Well it just passed 13 hours of memtest at 208.81MHz FSB at 2.5-3-3-11 the voltage is 2.9v in BIOS and 2.98v reading by MBM.
I'm a bit worried about the high voltage tho.
I got 1 stick of PC3200 Kingston RAM and the crucial one in the pic above, the kingston is rated for 2.6v at default so I guess its not too bad.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
StealtheR said:

heeh

default vdimm 2.6 to run @ PC2100

now vdimm 50% oc=3.9vdimm to run @ PC3200

:D

a wh00pin @$$ ocin' right there ehehehe!

:eek: 3.9vDimm? Are you serious? I don't see how any electrical device can survive more than a 60% overvolt for long.

But, we are talking about some seriously OC'd PC2100 modules though...:cool:

Read post above for info, its running at 2.9v (2.98v MBM5 Reading)

Yep my Delta fan supplies a lot of air and blows a fair amount on the RAM chips, although its very cold in my room the chips aren't even warm. on either stick, but I did notice that the Kingston is running a bit cooler

Back