• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED V8 vs Hyper 212 Evo vs TPC 812

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Qlix

I currently have V8, but i have the first version without an 1155 bracket, I would need to buy that bracket working out to be like $20 with shipping for the bracket. I can get a TPC 812 for $35 on craigslist, or an EVO for $35 from newegg presently. Which would be the better cooler for my i5 3570k

It all depends on if and how hard you plan on overclocking. The Evo is a really good cooler for the $, slightly better performance then the 212+ and it also has one of the better mounting mechanisms. I had a 212 + on a 2500k and was able to get 4.7 with temps in the high 70's. If you're really planning on pushing you probably should opt for something a little more extreme. I now have a Prolimatech Megahalems on my 2500k with the same fans off the 212+ it dropped the temps 10c across the board compared to the 212.

+1 on the Evo

It all depends on if and how hard you plan on overclocking. The Evo is a really good cooler for the $, slightly better performance then the 212+ and it also has one of the better mounting mechanisms. I had a 212 + on a 2500k and was able to get 4.7 with temps in the high 70's. If you're really planning on pushing you probably should opt for something a little more extreme. I now have a Prolimatech Megahalems on my 2500k with the same fans off the 212+ it dropped the temps 10c across the board compared to the 212.

The TPC 812 is the one with the vapor chambers in it. If you can get it for 35$ I would go for it, just make sure it's in good condition and you have all the parts to mount it.

So I had a V8 and it was a pretty good cooler. The only issues is trying to get enough airflow through all of the fins. It was definitely a heavy cooler and pretty quiet. What kind of temps are you seeing with it now ?

So I had a V8 and it was a pretty good cooler. The only issues is trying to get enough airflow through all of the fins. It was definitely a heavy cooler and pretty quiet. What kind of temps are you seeing with it now ?

I havent used it since having it on my E8500 which is in the closet. I still need an 1155 bracket for it. I loved my V8 on my C2D but im wondering if its a little out dated for my i5. It also no longer has the original fan in it which crapped out after about 3 years of non stop full speed use :p

It is outdated...you're better off getting that TPC cooler for 35 instead of a bracket for a not so good cooler. In fact, back then the V6 GT beat the V8 handily and costed less.

I would personally go with another option besides either of the coolers you are referencing. The TPC is barely an average cooler and the Hyper 212 is good but there are better options. Also the V6 performed so well because of shear brute force. Dual 2100 RPM fans can pretty much make any cooler blow away a single fan cooler. Which fan did you install on to the V8?

Yeah V6 was balls to the wall approach...noisy as heck xD

Thermalright makes the finest coolers around, and has some good cheap options. The plus is their fans are top notch (same can be said about Noctua)

Well, for some real life numbers, I currently have the Evo running on a PII 955. The 955 is currently at stock speeds and sits around 45C under load. So if you pick up some decent fans, it could do fairly well. I mean, you're not going to get awesome temps without spending awesome amounts of cash, but for ~$35 plus whatever if you decide to get a second fan or some better ones later, it pulls its weight.

I have my 3930k (at 3.8GHz) running at 57C full load with the 212 EVO. The key is to replace the weak stock fan with a better one (used a 0.9A Foxconn from an old server) and then put a 3A Delta in the side panel.

So how about an H55 vs 212 Evo? H55 is about $50 right now. Im on a really tight budget. Is there a justifiable performance difference?

so for the $100 price tag of the H90 get a noctua is what youre saying. I cant find a good review

or the 140mm phanteks option

basically Ive concluded that i might as well buy the best i can get without building a custom water loop... soo... throw some things at me lol

Back