• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video card coolers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MAD450r

I have a geforce 7900GTX with a zulman cooler, not sure offhand which it is. It did drop temps over 10c when I first installed it many years ago. Just a bit ago I noticed playing Quake 1 with opernGL enabled it spiked over 70c for first time in long time. I checked the fan is clean. I think it maybe time to change the heatsink paste or whatever its called.

Is the stuff I use on cpu's fine for this cards cooler as well?

Many say this isn't that hot for this card, but its higher than was running even running newer games. This is the only reason I ask. I am saving for better card for this pc, but the card in here will get passed down to my other pc so will still be in use is why I want to be sure I keep it as cool as I can.

Yeah, thermal paste is thermal paste. So, whatever you have around will do, regardless of whether you need it for a CPU or GPU.

I'm not sure if 70C is high for a 7900GTX or not since I didn't get into PCs until the 8800 series. I would expect GPUs to be rated for higher than that though.

70C isn't really hot for that card - they're rated upwards of 80C with around 100C max IIRC, although given its age it's probably best to aim for lower temperatures. Replacing the TIM should help (Ceramique works great for GPUs since it's non-conductive and it's available at Radioshack), but you may also want to check the GPU fan speed in HWiNFO (set to sensors-only) to make sure it didn't get knocked down to slow speeds somehow.

If replacing the thermal paste doesn't help then you can try using Rivatuner or Afterburner to set a manual fan profile.

MAD going with your gut is the right thing to do, even if 70 is OK for the card, if it's abnormal for your environment and setup then something probably is wrong. If there's no problems with dust then thermal paste would be the first thing I'd replace, so I think you're on the right track.

As grumper suggested, Ceramique is also great for long-term applications (opposed to many TIMs that are meant to be replaced every few yrs).

As for videocard cooler, I know its running wide open. I have it on manual fan controller and I keep it pegged since with this zulman even pegged its quieter than PS fan. Thanks for the tip though.

EDIT: this is the closest I can find to the cooler im running not posative its the one since mine has almost white or see through blades on the fan.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3..._Cooler.html?gclid=CNKKib3VqrkCFbF_QgodmkgASw

EDIT: while im at it here is the cpu cooler im using as well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Zalman+...1305782806.p?id=mp1305782806&skuId=1305782806

Last edited:
Back