• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Build help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol that moment when you wish something is broken so your mind can accept that spending money in unnecessary **** is worth it :p

Be sure, when you try the third slot, that you try 1 & 3 together and 2 & 3 together.
Then you'll know if the issue is board related, or slot related. And which slot gives issues :thup:

+1

Use one GPU in each slot and swap it with the other if you can. I am thinking its a bad slot but its too early to tell.

So just mine for few hours each card and see if i get the same numbers? How would i test them to make sure they are good?

Just put the card in each PCI-E and make them run at full load say for 30 mins. Than let the cards cool down and rinse and repeat each GPU to each slot.

So got some results:

Card 1 Slot 1 Primary
Card 2 Slot 2
Result: Fail
Card 1 Slot 1
Card 2 Slot 2 Primary
Result: Pass
Card 1 Slot 1 Primary
Card 2 Slot 3
Card 1 Slot 2
Card 2 Slot 1 Primary
Card 1 Slot 2 Primary
Card 2 Slot 1

The the problem only happens when card 1 is in slot 1, card 2 in slot 2, and card one is primary

So no idea...

Also dam this cards get hot... 98C no joke

Last edited:
It looks like its just over heating and those cards do get toasty in general. I am not sure if this happens with AMD but with Nvidia GPUs, sometimes one card might have a slightly higher voltage than the other and will run a bit warmer than the two. Check and see what the voltages are for each card. Put the one with the lesser voltage up top and the higher one underneath it or in slot 3.

How is your airflow configured in your case?

Well but that doesnt explain the flickering cuz when i was doing the last test both cards got as high as i seem them and no flicker, this only happens when slot 1 and 2 are being use and card #1 is primary...

So like i said the problem only happens when card 1 is in slot 1, card 2 in slot 2, and card one is primary

If i swap the cards like card 2 to slot 1 and card 1 to slot 2 it works fine... So no idea WTF the problem is... is not the slot and the cards work on other configuration....

edit:
BTW my GPU voltages are (idle):

Card 1 Voltage: 0.969V
Card 2 Voltage: 0.961V

Under load they are about the same 1.0xx The voltages changes to much that is hard to tell the exact voltage...

So based on what you suggested if i put Card 1 on top and make it primary i get the flicker only if card 2 is in the 2nd slot.. if i do any other combianation it doesnt happen

Last edited:
interesting... different bios? a power issue? a hairline fracture in the PCB?

It looks like one card doesnt like to be the master in the x-fire master/slave config but is fine as slave (as far as we can actually talk about master/slave...)

interesting... different bios? a power issue? a hairline fracture in the PCB?

It looks like one card doesnt like to be the master in the x-fire master/slave config but is fine as slave (as far as we can actually talk about master/slave...)

Not quite since that card can be master is it is in the second slot or if it is in the 1st one the other card must be in the 3rd slot. Bios is the same version

Last edited:
ok back in track... last list of parts was:

Pumps: MCP50X x 2
Radiator upper: EK 480 XT
Radiator lower non psu side: EK 480 XT
Radiator lower psu side: EK 240 XT
CPU block: EK Supremacy
GPU Block: EK-FC R9-290X
GPU Reservoir: Bitspower Water Tank Z - Multi 250 Reservoirs
CPU Reservoir: Bitspower Water Tank Z - Multi 250 Reservoirs

Should i put a bigger radiator on the top of the case? like a monsta but if i do a tick radiator like that i can only do push instead of pull/push

You'll only need one reservoir if you're doing a single loop.
I recommend that so that you have redundant pumps.

List looks good to me though.

But if i do single loop ill be killing my cpu... With the heat from my 290x.. Not worth it to do 2 loops?

But if i do single loop ill be killing my cpu... With the heat from my 290x.. Not worth it to do 2 loops?

The temperature difference of the water in the loop is 1-2°C given a 1GPM flow.
As long as you have enough radiator (you do) splitting the loops isn't worth it.

if you want to do 2 loops, go ahead.... but with 2x 480 + 1x 240 you should be able to keep eveything well under 50°C :)

A double pump top/res could be an option... if you plan to include a bazillion 90° elbow fittings

Rad locations: when going for a 80mm thick MONSTA, then push/pull is recommended... In most cases that means "at the bottom".

What i would consider thou, is to put a Swiftech MCR-QP with build in reservoir at the highest spot in the case. It will act as a reservoir/airtrap/fillpoint... it makes your life easier.
http://www.swiftech.com/mcrx20-qp.aspx

That being said... dual loops makes sense... the 240 Rad dedicated to the CPU ... the 2x 480s for GPUs ... it makes the "building" of the loop(s) easier.

Last edited:
The temperature difference of the water in the loop is 1-2°C given a 1GPM flow.
As long as you have enough radiator (you do) splitting the loops isn't worth it.

ya but wouldnt i be putting a bit more heat into that cpu? because of the cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back