• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Build help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sabertooth is a good choice. It is a robust solution and 3 PCIE slots...

It pains me to recommend that board but it is one of the least expensive with 3 PCIe slots

Should i consider the sabertooth? the only thing i dont like is that it only has 3 PCIE slots and i wont be able to run quadfire, but this could be a good thing, since if i buy a rampage iv and only use 3 cards ill feel like something is missing :) and end up wasting money on it..

If you're looking for all black, the accents on the Sabertooth will stand out.

Sabertooth is a good choice. It is a robust solution and 3 PCIE slots...

It pains me to recommend that board but it is one of the least expensive with 3 PCIe slots

The UP4 has 4 PCIe slots (if you're worrying about two slot boards)

UP4 is a good choice as well. The power phasing there concerns me a hair for high overclocks... X79 is about the ONLY chipset I would cool VRM's on. They get toasty on most of the boards I used. So Miguel would want good airflow over that area for the UP4. The Sabertooth I wouldn't worry as much about (to the point I didn't mention it).

TBH i never had good luck with gigabyte had 2 boards over the years and both had been DOA, one of them got replaced, and then wow was one of the best boards i owned, but not sure... on this one

Like im trying to think in the future, if i ever would use 4 cards instead of 3... Thinking 4k gaming, based on this: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2359120 a bit of OC on those 3 cards i will get pretty close to have 4.. Ummmmmm

Earth i heard very good things about the vrms on the rampage IV black and sabertooth

UP4 is a good choice as well. The power phasing there concerns me a hair for high overclocks... X79 is about the ONLY chipset I would cool VRM's on. They get toasty on most of the boards I used. So Miguel would want good airflow over that area for the UP4. The Sabertooth I wouldn't worry as much about (to the point I didn't mention it).

I can't see it being significantly better/worse than the P9X79 he's running currently.

And the fourth PCIe slot just in case he gets a steal on a pair of 290X's later :p

You pay a lot for the name Sabertooth.
This. THere is a premium you pay for the 5 year warranty and I personally dislike the armor... its gimmicky and people hang their hat on it.. but the power bits are a bit more robust than the UP4, which again, isn't a slouch, but PERHAPS some considerations need to be made for very high overclocks on that board... but adequete case airflow will more than likely be fine on the UP4.

As far as the future... you seem to lean on the want side more than need. Which is of course ok. I like to think I am practical for my uses while still getting quality hardware. If I was you with your hardware I would:

Rock 2 290x's and call it a day until they are long in the tooth. Sell in 2 years for next gen cards. Don't think about 3/4 cards at 1080p.

Grab the saberkitty or UP4, get all the raddage you want for 3 cards (4 is really a waste of money unless you rock 3 4K monitors, scaling is terrible.. power consumption... yada.).

I can't see it being significantly better/worse than the P9X79 he's running currently.
Oh it isnt... to that I say, why a different board in the first place? Ride this out is my take... grab the rads for 3 cards and CPU, run 2 cards. If you get bored or OCD kicks in, get a 3rd. But monetarily speakign, at 1080p even 144Hz its a waste (to me).

That said, we will of course support whatever you decide to plan for. :)

This. THere is a premium you pay for the 5 year warranty and I personally dislike the armor... its gimmicky and people hang their hat on it.. but the power bits are a bit more robust than the UP4, which again, isn't a slouch, but PERHAPS some considerations need to be made for very high overclocks on that board... but adequete case airflow will more than likely be fine on the UP4.

As far as the future... you seem to lean on the want side more than need. Which is of course ok. I like to think I am practical for my uses while still getting quality hardware. If I was you with your hardware I would:

Rock 2 290x's and call it a day until they are long in the tooth. Sell in 2 years for next gen cards. Don't think about 3/4 cards at 1080p.

Grab the saberkitty or UP4, get all the raddage you want for 3 cards (4 is really a waste of money unless you rock 3 4K monitors, scaling is terrible.. power consumption... yada.).

Oh it isnt... to that I say, why a different board in the first place? Ride this out is my take... grab the rads for 3 cards and CPU, run 2 cards. If you get bored or OCD kicks in, get a 3rd. But monetarily speakign, at 1080p even 144Hz its a waste (to me).

That said, we will of course support whatever you decide to plan for. :)

All that +1

Why a different board?
To get something all-black :D

Ha! I will support color scheme matching too. :p

As our absent friend Ajay would say...

"On to you now Miguel..."

Why a different board is a good question, first im having a crossfire issue http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749043, and i lost this transistor: not sure what is there for..

Basically if i run my system in crossfire and make my PCIE_1 primary it get flickers in the screen, if i run my PCI_2 as primary (connect all monitors to it) it runs perfectly... If i swap the cards the problem follows the PCIE_1 port, so im thinking is a mobo issue.. I sent it to ASUS, and they sent it right back saying we couldnt duplicate the problem... soooo i was thinking about selling it cheap and get a new one

I mean my system runs fine, and everything and it works for every game out there.. the only problem is HEAT!!! it generates to much heat, i have the system near my legs and after a 1h+ gaming session my body comes out like they were in a sauna for hours... I guess im burning calories

I was thinking about just adding water cooling to my case, but it is just a bit to small, i can probably fit a single 240 in it, but thats it.. I can use external radiators but meh what a pain in the *** :) (IMO)

That thread was left with you doing some testing.. to which you concluded the board is the issue but ASUS did not?

Anyway, makes sense if there are issues with the board... but just make sure its the board first... if not, buy new and move on, but not sure I would sell a board with known issues, regardless if ASUS said otherwise...

Though one thing I noticed is CFx and BF4. Are you using the Mantle API? Does the issue follow you when using the DX API? Since it is only on BF4, I would think that it is a Mantle thing as TitanFall does not use Mantle (not sure on that point).

ill do more testing this weekend, not sure besides swaping them what else i could do to check if the board is the issue... Non crossfire they both work perfectly

That thread was left with you doing some testing.. to which you concluded the board is the issue but ASUS did not?

Anyway, makes sense if there are issues with the board... but just make sure its the board first... if not, buy new and move on, but not sure I would sell a board with known issues, regardless if ASUS said otherwise...

Though one thing I noticed is CFx and BF4. Are you using the Mantle API? Does the issue follow you when using the DX API? Since it is only on BF4, I would think that it is a Mantle thing as TitanFall does not use Mantle (not sure on that point).

BF4 and smite, i tried Mantle and same thing any idea whats is that transistor for?

Last edited by a moderator:
You say switched to mantle... but, when I went in game after an AMD driver install it was already running it... Make sure you are sure you tested both Mantle and DX11. I recall complaints about flickering textures while using the Mantle API...but I run single monitor and Mantle's only issue now is the damn memory leak...

I cannot see imgur pics from the office. I can check it out later tonight. But I likely would have no idea unless it was painfully obvious, LOL!

between both PCI_E x1 there is a little transistor which im missing.. And yes mine was not Mantle i had to switch it to it

Ok, cool. Just making sure. :)

One of the little rectangle Asmedia chips for lane switching?

Have you tried the third slot (if only to confirm its the slots/board)?

ok i will try the 3rd slot... also have you heard or seen any results on using the NZXT Kraken G10 with a single 140 radiator? will definitely be my cheapest solution to control heat

Not on R9... it'll work for the main chip, but you still need some serious fanange for the glued on heatsinks to be able to keep its VRMs in check

Its frankly an half-assed solution... it works for most cards upto higher midrange, but for the top badass cards it falls short of the target.

Wanna watercool R9..?
bite the bullet, get full cover blocks and a big radiator.

Be sure, when you try the third slot, that you try 1 & 3 together and 2 & 3 together.
Then you'll know if the issue is board related, or slot related. And which slot gives issues :thup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back