• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling system with Peltier thermoelectric support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that you need to start with understanding the basics of normal water cooling first. It really sound like you are trying to run before you can walk.

I would love to see some new TEC stuff working, but telling people that have working systems that they do not understand and that it can not possibly work is not helping your credibility.

Do you understand how water cooling works?
And please tell me in details - why cooling water with tec is so great, can you please?

I really don't know what to say here... this thread isn't very productive....too much Novice Nancy...

You'd be doing me a favor if you just closed it, I'm trying to be really good here!
You tried Silver, it's tough when one doesn't want to actually put the work into actually learning. You've been using that set up for a pretty long time now and have improved on it over the years. Though, it must not work, it just can't work, correct? ;)

I think I would be doing everyone a favor if it is closed.

Deous - I don't really understand what you are trying to get at. I understand the science and concepts, but, you really are not making a lot of sense in the face of such extraordinary evidence to the contrary of what you are saying. The explanations are not terribly clear.

My suggestion is this. Stay away from these shenanigans in SSurfer's thread(s). If you would like to continue here with a build log and perhaps throw up some temperatures and voltages to support you assertion, that is OK. Otherwise, let's cut the nonsense and move on... let's see you put your money where your mouth is. :)

Where and how are you purposing to transfer said heat? I don't care if it's a tec, a chiller, condenser, or a popsicle, but the heat has to be disapatted via some medium. Without active cooling... Like fans, you need a huge heat exchanger such as a rad, large body of water, or geothermal loop. There is no such device or medium that can infinitely absorb heat. You have to move it somewhere. The more you increase heat load and/or decrease the exchanger size/ efficiency the more active cooling you're going to require else you're going to saturate the loop. This is what I meant earlier by economy of scale... It is not necessarily more efficient means, but just more economical and requires less physical space to disapatte heat from the loop via liquid with smaller pump, smaller exchanger with active fans.

Guys... the yellow brick road has been laid for Deous. Please let's not illicit a response from him until he posts something concrete. This is all an excersice of futility otherwise.

I just found this thread. I been brainstorming up ideas on how to move the unwanted energy off computer chips. You touch on a point that many people glance over without even realizing.

Many people forget that that with all the cooling types that people experiment with to hotrod computers these days, that heat energy needs to be relocated, and then stored, and then the temperature needs to be brought down. For a computer cooling system to really be true unto its original idea, the temperatures of what has now become just an insulator for the heat energy, needs to brought down below the temperature of the heat energy source. Move it to wherever you want, but this is where most computer cooling systems really stop. Most computer cooling systems do not truly cool down the temperature of the insulator which the heat energy is stored in after it is move off the chip/s. It is just simply moved.

I just found this thread. I been brainstorming up ideas on how to move the unwanted energy off computer chips. You touch on a point that many people glance over without even realizing.

Many people forget that that with all the cooling types that people experiment with to hotrod computers these days, that heat energy needs to be relocated, and then stored, and then the temperature needs to be brought down. For a computer cooling system to really be true unto its original idea, the temperatures of what has now become just an insulator for the heat energy, needs to brought down below the temperature of the heat energy source. Move it to wherever you want, but this is where most computer cooling systems really stop. Most computer cooling systems do not truly cool down the temperature of the insulator which the heat energy is stored in after it is move off the chip/s. It is just simply moved.

pp550x550.jpg

Not sure I follow with storing heat or energy with a TEC. The TEC applies a cold, the processors applies a heat and you get X temperature at X load.

You may be thinking about liquid cooling where the heat is stored in the liquid and then later dissipated to atmosphere via radiators and fans. End cooling is still the ambient air temp.

With a TEC, well your not going to really store any heat, on the other hand you will create lots more heat while TECs are capable of chilling even to the negative temperatures.
Quite a bit of variables when it comes to any cooling, but chilling is a little different. You no longer dissipate heat from a cpu, but now need to remove heat from the chilling source.
We'll call heat anything that is 0 degree and higher and chilling as 0 degree and less.

It is SUPER VERY POSSIBLE to cool modern AMD 12nm and 7nm processors with TECs and cold plates, however the end results don't make the energy usage much worth it beyond just having a little bit of fun and gaining some experiences that others don't care to.

So I'm not storing any heats here. Couple of pictures for your viewing pleasure, and sorry for the off topic posts between mine and yours. But thanks for digging up an older thread. I personally have always loved the TEC cooling challenge.

Idle and load temps TEC cooled 2700X 4ghz. Enjoy.

2700X TEC 4Ghz idle temp.png
2700x TEC Wprime 1024M.png
20190305_213653.jpg

I've been using peltier cooling for many years now improving each new version of it, I'm presently on version 3.0 which is the link below. Each version brought new ideas and designs to the table to make it a better cooling system, this is not a concept it is fully operational right now.

I am OCAddict at overclock.net, the peltier/chilled water system is used to cool my 7700K CPU overclocked to 5.2ghz (Not Delidded), my GPU is traditionally water cooled.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1633988/chilled-water-cooling-vs-3-0-build-log

Version 2.0 required it's own power supply and independently pulled 600w when all the TEC assemblies were powered up, which in total power draw was unacceptable.

Version 3.0 only requires 300w maximum when all 3 TEC assemblies are powered but for the most part and the majority of the time is only using 1 TEC assembly pulling 100w, BIG CHANGE!!!

That made it possible to run the entire setup off of 1 power supply. :)

Peltiers are great, as long as you can figure out how to get what you want from them.
I'm interested in putting a little peltier assist in my cooling system. I read your articles and must say I'm impressed. I would like to ask roughly how much cooling effect do you think one 240 watt peltier would afford a guy if he added it to his current loop of 5 140 Rad's and fans? I have a custom ductwork that directs all heated air from them out of the case and there's plenty of room to put large CPU style heat sinks in there. It just crying for some kind of supplemental cooling.

I'm interested in putting a little peltier assist in my cooling system. I read your articles and must say I'm impressed. I would like to ask roughly how much cooling effect do you think one 240 watt peltier would afford a guy if he added it to his current loop of 5 140 Rad's and fans? I have a custom ductwork that directs all heated air from them out of the case and there's plenty of room to put large CPU style heat sinks in there. It just crying for some kind of supplemental cooling.
Not worth it.

Adding a peltier in a radiator loop system logically seems like a good idea, but what actually happens is the radiators defeat the peltiers cooling by bringing the coolant temperatures back to ambient, because that is what radiators are designed to do.

Been there, done that, in the beginning of my experimentation 12 years ago.

I've written threads about this but most, laugh, joke, say it's not worth it, etc. etc. etc..

If it was not worth it, I would not be doing it, surely not for 12 years.
Everything I wrote about was fully operational at the time and each version was an improvement over the previous version.

Using pelteir cooling has to be all on it's own independent loop, everything has to be insulated, reservoir, tubing, water blocks, absolutely everything insulated that transports the coolant.

You only cool the CPU, my GPU is cooled by radiator, only the CPU is a peltier cooled loop.

Now if you can understand what I just told you, then PM for more serious detail, if not, have a great day!

I am not trying to be rude, but if you read all the responses I got from the beginning, including all the negativity, why would I waste my time trying to help any of you.

All I can leave you with is my peltier cooling works, and I know why it works.

Have a Great Day, and a Happy New Year! Ry

I am not trying to be rude, but if you read all the responses I got from the beginning, including all the negativity, why would I waste my time trying to help any of you.
This thread was brought up from the dead, and someone thinks it's not worth it (like you also say). The two weirdo trolls (Denous and Denali or whoever) from ages ago haven't signed on in just as long. Move on and help the guy in public. No need to throw a fit 4 years later. I'll make sure nobody craps on the thread. :) :grouphug: :rock:

I think @D-Mo should create his own thread asking for help... and let this one die already, lol.

Last edited:
This thread was brought up from the dead, and someone thinks it's not worth it (like you also say). The two weirdo trolls (Denous and Denali or whoever) from ages ago haven't signed on in just as long. Move on and help the guy in public. No need to throw a fit 4 years later. I'll make sure nobody craps on the thread. :) :grouphug: :rock:

I think @D-Mo should create his own thread asking for help... and let this one die already, lol.

He quoted my post today and I got an email notice, otherwise I have not been keeping up with this thread, nor do I really even care about it, or what you just posted.

...nor do I really even care about it, or what you just posted.
That's cool. Next time you get a notification, don't reply if you're going to be a complete **** about it. That's not how we roll.

It seems like you and Mr. Scott agree..but your post added critical details. Our existing members seemed to be nothing but supportive of you in this thread, too... :shrug:

For some odd reason, this thread is still causing great strife, so we'll just close it (like you insisted years ago, apparently, lol). :)

Have a great day and Happy New Year! ED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back