• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BelGarion

Been considering updating my Phenom II X6 to a more modern Vishra x8 but with them being 125w to 220w I was also considering water cooling. But, my present system, the 120mm fan that blows across my CPU heat sink also blows air down across the chipset heat sinks of my MSI 990FXA-GD80 motherboard. With a water cooling setup I won't have that fan any more. Would I need to worry about the chipsets or would I need to some how jury rig in a fan into the side of the case? The case is relatively modern, a Fractial Design Define R5 (good case, but the motherboard and it don't get along due to the sunken motherboard tray and the front USB 3 connector. >.< ) but if I do get the water cooling setup the front two 140mm fans would be swapped out for the radiator and it's two 140mm (or 120mm) fans.

Absolutely would NOT run any FX on that motherboard, especially an octo core.

Well, yeah, not a 220w one anyway, a 125w should be fine. That's according to MSI @ http://us.msi.com/support/mb/990FXA-GD80.html#support-cpu

But, still, 125w is greater than 95w of my current Phenom II x6, so I am naturally concerned that my heat sink won't handle it. Why I was thinking water cooling. As for where the mosfets and stuff are, yeah. The heat sink for them is along two sides of the cpu socket which is tucked under the fan for the heat sink. http://us.msi.com/media/product/fiv...3.jpg62405b38c58fe0f07fcef2367d8a9ba1/600.png - See?

msi boards and fx cpus have been nothing but heart breakers, please do not try this combo.

when you remove the stock heatsink on any board you take the airflow from the other heatsinks so you need to get a blowing directly in this area.

We have had a few MSI GD80 boards come through the AMD forums. Major issues with overclocking and throttling so if you have plans of overclocking an FX8XXX chip at all you will have your hands full. If you really want to get into an FX8350 I would seriously recommend also picking up a decent board to go along with it.

Replacing some airflow from removing the sock cpu cooler is a simple fix you can add a fan or two blowing across your VRM / CPU Socket.

We have had a few MSI GD80 boards come through the AMD forums. Major issues with overclocking and throttling so if you have plans of overclocking an FX8XXX chip at all you will have your hands full. If you really want to get into an FX8350 I would seriously recommend also picking up a decent board to go along with it.

Replacing some airflow from removing the sock cpu cooler is a simple fix you can add a fan or two blowing across your VRM / CPU Socket.

Decent meaning what board(s)?

Decent ......well that depends on your goals if you plan on running stock or a mild OC (Max 4.5GHZ) or pushing for all you can get.

If you are looking to push these chip for all you can get you will need a good board ..... Asus Sabertooth, Asus Crosshair V Formula z, Crosshair V Formula or Asrock Extreme 9 is what we generally recommend. The Asus have proven over time to be able to take the huge power draw these chips require once really stepped on. A special note here and this applies to just the Rev 4 version but also in this list though it is a hesitant recommendation but I have personally used the Gigabye 990FXA UD3 Rev4 to OC an earlier FX8150 stable to 4.7GHZ with it. I hesitate to recommend any Gigabyte board simply because of their many Issues and revisions for these boards and only will talk about the REV 4 because I have had one to use. Keep in mind if you plan on pushing t the max a custom loop will be required especially once you have reached around 4.6GHZ - 4.7GHZ and above depending on your ambient temps.

If you are not going to and don't plan on going to Overcock to the moon and will stay at stock to a max of say 4.5GHZ ...... there are a few more board that you can use The 990FXA UD3 would probably be the best and Asus M5A99X EVO and M5A99FXPro I believe are the other two boards me tend to mention and I don't have time to check right now as I am of to work.

Back