• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you look for in a gaming monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Will at EIZO

Hello everyone,

I work with an LCD MFR, EIZO. EIZO has had gaming displays in Asia for quite some time and is doing very well. We are introducing our technology to America now.

The display is a 23" LED LCD. It has certain features that make it quite exciting for a gamer:

Power Gamma for Gaming

This feature produces images that are vibrant and rich in detail. Power Gamma has two settings - "Power 1" which sharpens midtones and "Power 2" which brings out subtle differences in the low tones for better clarity in dark areas.

Fast Response Time, Minimum Input Lag

An overdrive circuit is included to reduce gray-to-gray response time to 6 ms and ensure that moving images look clean and sharp with minimum ghosting. The input lag or the difference between the time a signal is input into the monitor and then shown on the screen is less than one frame. This is approximately 1/60th of a second, so gamers see the action as it happens and react immediately.

Smart Resolution

A new EIZO-developed feature called "Smart Resolution" analyzes both still and moving images for noise and blurring and then adjusts them to appear more clear and natural. This feature is "Smart" because it only adjusts the image in areas where it is needed. For example, in a web page with both video and text, Smart Resolution may detect that the text should be left as is but the video should be made sharper. In a photograph, Smart Resolution may detect that minimal adjustment to hair is necessary, but make skin appear smoother and more natural.

Would these features make you look differently at a display?

Thanks for your time guys!

Will

It sounds like interesting technology, or just a lot of marketing talk. I'd also be interested in seeing a live demonstration/demo as it just seems a bit strange.

Really important for gaming is
* Low Input lag
* 16:9 aspect ratio
* 1920x1080 resolution
* 120 Hz in 2D or IPS/VA
* Fast response time
* Well implemented Overdrive (no reverse ghosting)
* HDMi port (to connect to console)

Bonus
* No visable back light bleed. (Else gaming in dark games become a pain.)
* Height adjustable stand
* Good looking (Eizo FS2331 / FS2332 are good examples of monitors that many gamers dont even consider because of how they look. Yes, they look horrible)

eizo-foris-fs2331-gaming-monitor.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just about to purchase a gaming monitor for my new desktop build. GTX 670, i5-3570K etc but I'm a total newbie when it comes to monitors. I'm guessing I shouldn't go anything below 22" to get a 1920 x 1080 resolution. Anyone has any good recommendations? The primary games I play are mostly FPS, not so much on MMORPGs. And don't start spouting complicated monitor terms here as I won't have any idea what you're saying. Layman terms please!

Back