• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What ever happened to the HSF/Water block database?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the garynator

Chief folding_monkey
What ever happened to the HSF/Water block database?

I’ve noticed that we no longer are testing CPU coolers (HSF, water blocks, water cooling systems, etc.) the same way as we used to. I think this is a shame. Our cooling database was the thing that set us apart from the rest of the review sites. Heck, one of my good friends used to only come to overclockers.com for the CPU cooler reviews. I remember him telling me that it was the only site he trusted for these.

All of the other review sites used to just test one CPU cooler at a time, or they would do a comparison with a few other ones. There was no standard way of testing them and it made comparing CPU coolers very difficult and very inaccurate.

That’s what made our CPU cooler reviews/database great. It compared all of the coolers with each other using the most accurate testing.

I’m guessing whoever was doing these stopped. If man-power is the reason why we no longer do this, I’d be willing to take over this project and design testing procedures, gather data, etc. I have a few ideas on how to improve our previous system as well.

Do we still have good relations with companies (i.e. able to get testing samples sent for reviews)?

I also think having a small team of dedicated members for this would be a good idea as well. Possibly having 2-4 of us to do it, that way, if one of us gets busy with RL or decides they no longer want to do it, we could vote in a replacement member so that this won’t happen again.

I think we’ve taken a HUGE step back in our cooling reviews, and believe that this, paired with the lack of new contact/updates on our site is what ended up making overclockers.com start to play second fiddle to ocforums.

After the recent updates to our site (which I think are AWESOME) and the amount of new articles being posted, I think getting a CPU cooler database back up and running would make us better than ever!

Anyone have any input?

The old heatsink and waterblock database stuff JoeC did back in the day went the way of the Dodo bird when he left, since he is affiliated with a cooling company.

As for heatsink reviews; I guess you don't visit the front page much and click on the reviews button, do you? Since 9/1/2010, I have done 22 heatsink reviews which are published. I have spent hundreds of dollars buying equipment and even heatsinks to test. Unlike JoeC, I don't think using a synthetic heatload on a test bench is the proper way to test heatsinks, since they are used on a CPU and not a heater and they are mostly used inside a case and not in open air. If you click on the little lightning icon under my name area it will pop up a link to all my reviews and you can see the test setup I use to do my testing with.

Right now, RL work has slowed my testing down, but I have a couple of reviews I am working on. Hopefully this time off I will have time to finish them up and get a new review started. It probably takes me at least 3-5 days just to get the data collected in the best of times, since I have many different runs I make with different fan configurations and 3 remounts to do for data collection.

If you think you can review heatsinks any better than I have been doing, then by all means have at it. Any member here can get their reviews looked at and published on the front page. All it take is time and money on your part, plus the willingness to write up the review.

EDIT: BTW, this post is aimed at Clutch_Head and not the garynator, since he decided to bump a 2+ year old thread. :rain:

muddocktor

no disrespect intended. sorry if my bump got you upset.
that was definitely not my intent. :(

i truly appreciate the time and money you put into reviews. i just remember having a database
to go to and was wondering if it was archived or updated is all. life has put my gaming on hold, and i haven't been here in quite some time.

sorry if i p%#&ed you off.

Back