• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is Seti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SETI is a broad term that encompasses everything related to searching for extraterrestrials. SETI@home is program that combs through radio telescope signals. It searches for repeating patterns, know waveforms, etc. The results are used to find more than aliens, however. They can be used to identify pulsars, unknown stars, black holes, and all kinds of other interesting celestial bodies.

Hey Dapper Dan, thanks for checking in and looking into SETI.

The SETI project uses the giant radio telescope (that you saw in the James Bond movie) to collect radio "noise" from distant points in space.

The Berkeley team breaks up the data into "work units".

We the volunteers, sign up to receive these "work units" and our computers (which are mostly idle) use their idle time to "crunch" (perform the analysis) and send the results back to SETI.

In return we are awarded "cobblestones" or points.

For these points we are willing to work as a team, buy and build more computers.

Oh, and 1,000 seti points and $1.00 you can buy a plain coffee at Dennys.

Our team is currently ranked #11 in the world (based on the total points that our members have earned) and we are close to passing Team Italy (and being passed by Team Art Bell :( )

SETI: the search for little green men

Hey eagle, it only uses arecibo? Is there a way to listen to the signals or whatever is in these work unit's?

El<(')>Maxi said:
SETI: the search for little green men

Hey eagle, it only uses arecibo? Is there a way to listen to the signals or whatever is in these work unit's?

Yes SETI currently only uses signals gathered by Arecibo. Although they are installing a new multi beam splitter that will increase the data that is recorded. Also the Allen Array is due to come online this summer (although I do not know if the Allan Array data will be used in the SETI distributed computing project)

It's outside of the spectrum of human hearing, but I'm attending a SETI event on Thursday Evening and I'm sure that question will be posed to the scientist who is speaking. I'll post back what I hear :)

If you have seen the movie "Contact" with Jodi Foster in it, which most of us has....That is pretty much what SETI does.

Carl Sagan wrote the story to that movie.

But yeah, that movie is a perfect example of seti. Except they take the LARGE chunks of data, and break it up, and send it to people with BOINC installed on their PC's. and we do the work for them, because Berkley alone doesn't have anywhere NEAR the required computer power to crunch all that data in convenient amount of time.

well i am currently trying to buy a cheap cheap cheap setup that will oc very well .... and use it just for SETI or Folding... it's either cure diseaes or search for alliens/black holes .... either way wins because the comp will do it 24/7 lol check out my post in the intel cpu section

El<(')>Maxi said:
Is there a way to listen to the signals or whatever is in these work unit's?
There was one for SETI classic (WU2W or something, work unit to .wav) but I emailed the guy who wrote it and he said he didnt make a copy for BOINC. He might be planning to make one though, he emailed me asking for a copy of a WU.

And ya, basically SETI looks for aliens (or little green men, or Greys, whatever) and sends your computer small packets of radio data which it then scans for any abnormalities. My friends think Im weird for doing it but I just tell them that they'll thank me when I stop "Independence Day"

Hey guys, just came across this thread, decided to join the searh for ET's...installed the BOINC software and my C2D is crunching on some ET signals as I'm typing :beer:

I have anothre 3 spare PC in the basement that I'll set up on SETI and maybe do some folding...

Brolloks said:
Hey guys, just came across this thread, decided to join the searh for ET's...installed the BOINC software and my C2D is crunching on some ET signals as I'm typing :beer:

I have anothre 3 spare PC in the basement that I'll set up on SETI and maybe do some folding...

Welcome to SETI Brolloks! :welcome:

It this rate of adding rigs, we'll be back in top 10 and beyond in no time!

CyberMancer said:
Welcome to SETI Brolloks! :welcome:

It this rate of adding rigs, we'll be back in top 10 and beyond in no time!

Thanks...There must be life out there...to boldly go where no man has gone before:cool:

Back