• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What motherboard do YOU use, and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh, i thought they would go right away xD and i was think oh geez what do i do, raise them both slowly until i get to my preferred OC? xD

Can you Crossfire on an EVGA MOBO just asking because they only make Nvidia GPUs.

Why do you switch from the top of the line ASUS RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME to the mid range EVGA board?

I did'nt switched from the RIVE to the FTW, had 2 or 3 other rig in between. I dont only swap to upgrade, i also swap for fun and to try something different.

Asus crosshair v formula-z on my AMD rig mainly because i got it for a great price ($180) and the fact of the 8350 needing a solid board for heavy OC. I couldnt push much over 4.2 on the ASRock board, VRMs would get way to hot and thottle the CPU

The 2500k on the Asrock is all because of the price and reviews. Great reviews and and overall has been an amazing board. Pushed that CPU hard folding and it has never gave a single issue.

I thinking of picking up an Asus Sabertooth 990fx from a buddy for $50 and pairing it with an 8350 as a back up rig... He only had it for two months so it still has the tuff warranty!

I thinking of picking up an Asus Sabertooth 990fx from a buddy for $50 and pairing it with an 8350 as a back up rig... He only had it for two months so it still has the tuff warranty!

Sell that mobo to me for $80, i like the Sabertooth mobo, been an Intel fan boy and use Intel cpu for the past 5 years, i would like to build an AMD rig someday but i just haven't got the time and the cash at the moment :D :D

Sell that mobo to me for $80, i like the Sabertooth mobo, been an Intel fan boy and use Intel cpu for the past 5 years, i would like to build an AMD rig someday but i just haven't got the time and the cash at the moment :D :D
I would but AMD is my new favorite company just under intel on my list and I really need to build a dedicated mining rig anyways ill also use it as a business PC ill probably out it in a HAF XB...

Can you post pic of some of your rig so i can see, just pm me, i'm curious.

They are not all there cause i dont alwais have time to take good enough pics. This one is the one i use currently and you can see some older one too from the link in the page.
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/3483.html

Think the 3930k is'nt on this site. Was ion the 600T then on my testbed. CPU WCed.
here is the jampacked 600T with the RIVE, 3930k and SLI Asus 570 DCII.
DSCF2853.JPG

Last edited:
They are not all there cause i dont alwais have time to take good enough pics. This one is the one i use currently and you can see some older one too from the link in the page.

Think the 3930k is'nt on this site. Was ion the 600T then on my testbed. CPU WCed.
DSCF2853.JPG

Very impressive rig :thup: :clap:

OC Formula is another... that is also cheaper than at least 2 of your choices...

That board did come up in my searches. But the mountain known as heat sinks turned me off due to the fact my storm trooper is not as thick as I would like it to be, so i only get a few MM of play between my top rads back fan and any boards heat sink... If i had a much much bigger case it would of most likely been the board coming to my house on friday...

I currently use a RIVE. I love the X79 platform. Unfortunately I don't use half the features of this board, but I like to know I can... :)
I would love to do an SR-2/Xeon build and SLI 690s. Would make a great F@H rig...

I 90% game so dual CPU's and SLI dual gpu's have not really been an option. But they sure do look epic... My brother and I thought about building a quad titan dual cpu tower for bitcoin farming, but nothing ever came of that idea.

Also, WHAT? REALLY? 15CC'S OF COOLLABS FOR 15$? and WHAT? REALLY? THEY WANT ME TO USE THIS SCOTCH PAD ON MY LAPPED WATER BLOCK?!?!?!?!?!!?

DSCF2853.JPG

that thing is ALMOST as jammed packed full of stuff as my Storm Trooper!

Is it just me or are those fans suspended in mid air UNDER the baffle/roof of the case? You would get better airflow exiting the case if those were actually attached to the baffle. :)

That board did come up in my searches. But the mountain known as heat sinks turned me off due to the fact my storm trooper is not as thick as I would like it to be, so i only get a few MM of play between my top rads back fan and any boards heat sink... If i had a much much bigger case it would of most likely been the board coming to my house on friday...
I dont understand what the board and case have to do with your heatsink as the very board will be the same height to the case... but ok.

Is it just me or are those fans suspended in mid air UNDER the baffle/roof of the case? You would get better airflow exiting the case if those were actually attached to the baffle. :)

The top fans are angled toward the VRM's to prevent thermal throtling. Watercooled CPU dont offer much airflow to the VRM's. Top/rear are intake. After a few months of testing on the 600T + SLI DCII 570s my flow was reversed VS the stock mounting. I had front 140mm rad as intake and top 3x 120mm as intake too. Side panel had 4 120mm all as exhaust, this was the best way to keep the 2 DCII 570's under control + OC. Reverse all this and the 570's overheated alot under load/OC.

yeah, i was just looking at that... thought it was a trick of the eye also... is that SSD mounted to your rad mounted to your HDD? =O

The HDD is bottom mounted and the SSD is sticked to the HDD. The rad is front mount. 140mm thick rad with push/pull shrouded.

Im running the ASrock z77 Extreem 4 board. I was looking at all the specs and I really don't need 12 sata drives etc.
I wanted 2 SSD sata 3 and 1 HDD (sata 2 is fine for HDD) and blueray/DVD. I wanted a quality board with options I needed with OC ability, that would not empty my bank account.

When I picked up my CPU I got $50 off mobo from Microcenter and I liked the reviews of the Extreem 4. I am happy with this board, It has everything I wanted with out having to pay for stuff I will never use, Like that Asus rog connect etc. I also put the money I saved on the mobo and put that to a better vid card. ASrock as totally changed their image over the last couple mobo generations. They used to be low price, crap mobo's but they have really stepped up in quality and are giving Asus/Gigabyte some competition.

Well, Queue music of epicness, the over spent solution to my problems is here! free game and some 9-9-9-24 team group ram, for 10$ less then the non AC3 box? I knew there was more then one reason why I never purchased that game. wonder if this ram will play nicely with my current ram of same speed/timing/voltage... I have a feeling that hooking up the mobo water block will be a ***** in my case.:cry::cry: :facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_20130425_150847.jpg
    IMG_20130425_150847.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
Back