• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What motherboard do YOU use, and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
P8P67 Pro, now an el-cheapo <$100 board on ebay.

Has all the fine overclocking controls I need at a fraction of the cost.

Nice, I am more then satisfied with my V Formula... The only con so far is that i would need a bigger case to hook up the motherboard waterblock, it is 100% impossible to hook it up at this time... I guess i need to add on a new case to my list of Birthday presents to self...

Not sure if it was the motherboard or the delidding, but I have zero issues overclocking my 3570k now... (probably both!)

M5A99FX PRO R2.0

Why? Because I'm new to this and it was on sale and because it had decent ratings. I went AMD because the 8350 was under $200 and from what I had researched is usually easier to overclock than Intel chips.

My other tower is a 6core bulldozer. I slapped a Corsair H80 on it and over clocked it to hell n back for awhile. I got it up to 5.0 with core 5 & 6 disabled. Now that its the downstairs PC its @ 4.8 on all 6 cores.

The cpu is mounted in the AM3+ version of that board, very solid for the $$.... I think i payed ~149$ -20$ rebate card in store at CompUSA.(using that name to date purchase!)

You should be able to really crank up that cpu w/ an h100.

Also, :welcome:

You should be able to really crank up that cpu w/ an h100.

Also, :welcome:

I wish I could, but I hit 66C so I backed off. I put a fan on the back of my CPU and that gave me 9C back, so I'm going to try and push it some more. I'm not very confident in the thermal paste that the H100i came with, so I need to throw some Artic Silver on there before I go any further as well.

And thanks for the welcome!

Go with coollabs liquid ultra, just my pref... but its done me wonders on my GPU's and delidded 3570k... also 66 is fine... kinda warm, but not an issue... thats a big cpu... do you have push/pull setup?

I have always used Asus boards because I believe going over all the forums they have he best quality board/bios on the market. Asrock is also another solid board company that is fairly underrated IMO. Spending over $200 on a board does not increase the performance factor, unless you are doing extreme cooling.

Go with coollabs liquid ultra, just my pref... but its done me wonders on my GPU's and delidded 3570k... also 66 is fine... kinda warm, but not an issue... thats a big cpu... do you have push/pull setup?

Negative on the push-pull setup, I don't have any more fans! I'm waiting on some cash to free up, then I'll be getting a stack of new fans to replace the stock corsairs that like to give me bad rpm readings and then to add to the case as well.

That cool labs looks very interesting, I may go with that instead.

Might have to do some more research on the Coollaboratory products, but it was to my understanding that the Liquid Pro/Ultra, hardens.... Would you not be forced to lap, if you had to remove?

If so, that presents a challenge, because I was reading about using that during de-lidding, but unless you SEAL the IHS back onto the cpu, it's possible the liquid pro can crack upon taking out your cpu if something were to occur, someone posted some pics on a forum (I believe evga forums) about it. Of course with the way it hardens, that may have simply been a mistake on his part, just make sure you do the research. I avoided grabbing a tube of liquid pro for my 3770k for the posts I saw on if I needed to remove it.

Coollabs has two products, they have a thermal solution 100% metal paste. They also have thermal pads similar to Indigio Extreme, that requires burn in process. The standard coollabs paste does harden a bit, but not anything like what you are probably imagining. It comes right off with some high grade rubbing alcohol. Even the Burn in thermal pads are not that hard to get off, they tend to just peal right off with a credit card... the Liquid PRO is an older product then Liquid ULTRA... the difference? The ease of removal, as i understand it... No thermal product should ever do that kind of damage to your Heatsink/cpu lid...

In my experience getting off liquid ultra is just as annoying as getting off any other high grade paste.

Might have to do some more research on the Coollaboratory products, but it was to my understanding that the Liquid Pro/Ultra, hardens.... Would you not be forced to lap, if you had to remove?

If so, that presents a challenge, because I was reading about using that during de-lidding, but unless you SEAL the IHS back onto the cpu, it's possible the liquid pro can crack upon taking out your cpu if something were to occur, someone posted some pics on a forum (I believe evga forums) about it. Of course with the way it hardens, that may have simply been a mistake on his part, just make sure you do the research. I avoided grabbing a tube of liquid pro for my 3770k for the posts I saw on if I needed to remove it.

I successfully delidded my 3570k, ~20 degree drop... my biggest issue is the way they store both liquid ultra and pro in the needle w/o a tip. Very leaky if you live in a warm place. Besides that, i can not speak about liquid PRO. But i can speak about liquid ULTRA.

Once again, ultra>pro.

The #1 thing i was told about ultra is to apply an extremely small amount. I literally dabbed the brush provided in the leakage on the out side of the syringe for my cpu dye and gpu's. I suggest a mock mounting a few times. I chose to go with IHS re-install. Your dye is a very sensitive little thing, it should not be surprising that it can be damaged during removal/install. This is one of my reasons for ihs re-install.

Also, Indigo Xtreme Clean is an amazing product.

install videos from manufacture.
PRO
http://www.coollaboratory.com/en/products/liquid-pro/ OLD much harder to work with product.
ULTRA
http://www.coollaboratory.com/en/products/liquid-ultra/ much newer, much easyer to work with.

I was curious to the composition of this Ultra stuff so I looked up their MSDS:
Chemical characterization:
Alloy of the metal components gallium, indium, rhodium, silver, zinc and stannous, bismuth; suspended in a graphite-copper matrix

That is one interesting combo of rare metals!

yeah, its good ****... I even went in and removed my HS(indigo xtreme) and IHS(ultra), cleaned, re-painted on the Ultra and put it back in... I did this to see how removal is after the curing period is over... it is a bit harder, but it still melts right off w/ high grade alcohol/inidgo xtreme clean... Removing the melted indigo xtreme re-flow isn't too bad either, it mostly just peals right off... helps that my water block is super lapped.

Last edited:
Asus P8Z77 WS. It is one of the fewer Z77 mobos that has dual PCIE 3.0 x16 for SLI/Crossfire. At the moment dual X16 isn't a huge deal but for future proofing it's nice.

The one thing I don't love about the mobo is that some of the ports/connections aren't in the best spots like the front panel audio connector. Not a huge qualm at all. Overall I'm super happy with it.

Last edited:
Back