• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What new toys did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either one? Bench it and post it here? I donno.

I got this:
funMCUstuff.jpg

Extra serial-USB (and back) converter, extra breadboard, 75 more jumper wires, 2x16 LCD display (backlit) and parallel-serial converter board for said LCD, so it only uses 1 pin on the microcontroller instead of 6.
Now I can wire it and one of the $2 MCUs and the thermocouple chips up and make my own thermalcouple thermometer for benching!

Either one? Bench it and post it here? I donno.

I got this:
View attachment 107138

Extra serial-USB (and back) converter, extra breadboard, 75 more jumper wires, 2x16 LCD display (backlit) and parallel-serial converter board for said LCD, so it only uses 1 pin on the microcontroller instead of 6.
Now I can wire it and one of the $2 MCUs and the thermocouple chips up and make my own thermalcouple thermometer for benching!

I need one ;)

Does not fit in a civic...

IMG_20120319_102132.jpg

IMG_20120319_102116.jpg

Won't get its first fill until the end of this week or sometime next week. Anxious to see how it holds... Got it for $180 (100L), drove 2hrs roundtrip to pick it up today.

You know you're addicted when you buy a vehicle for the purpose of transporting a 100L dewar...

How are you going to transport it back? Didn't someone say that it could be bad for it to be laying on its side during transportation (if full?)

Hauling capacity is now 150L owned, 185L including the 35L I'm borrowing from Joe Camel.

The 100L is big, and heavy when empty. I'm a little nervous about hauling it standing up (required when full, as Janus alluded to), but I'm going to put 4 straps around it and the other dewars so it shouldn't be able to go much of anywhere.

The main downside, I expect, is that when full it will be a permanent fixture on the truck until empty when its light enough to manhandle. I'm okay with that though. Next trip to airgas I'm going to try to talk them into doing 40 cents/liter, which would put me around $75 a fill up.

This will also bump me firmly back down into the 2 hour trip every 2 or 3 weeks territory, rather than the 2 hour trip once or twice a week category. The end of December through February was killing me on fuel, mileage, and time.

The main downside, I expect, is that when full it will be a permanent fixture on the truck until empty when its light enough to manhandle. I'm okay with that though.

Who wants to take bets... I say next thing we hear from glorious leader is when they show the cops "perp walking" him out of his house in his underwear on the 7 o'clock news.

Remember kids... We live in America; home of the nosey and land of the panicky neighbors. Just wait until he brings that big thing full of LN2, goes inside for the night and that thing starts bellowing LN2 vapors. :D I see a bunch of "three letter agencies" knocking down your door little after that. ;)

I'm debating what to tell the cops if I get pulled over... Probably easier to tell them I'm freezing horse semen than try to explain to them what I'm doing with computers. That would probably keep the conversation shorter at least. :D

Unless you get one of those down home good 'Ole boy coppers then he might have pointers for you...

I'm debating what to tell the cops if I get pulled over... Probably easier to tell them I'm freezing horse semen than try to explain to them what I'm doing with computers. That would probably keep the conversation shorter at least. :D

Just tell them that you figured out the tech that Doc used on the DeLorean in "Back to the future" and that your pickup can travel through time once it hits 88 MPH. :D

i am a cop just tell em what your doing with it, they will laugh, alot of cops are big time gamers with a few delving into the realm of OC'ing or know a yahoo like me.... LOL

I always tell the airgas guys, that I use it for assembling parts. Then I don't get all of the questions and strange looks. After explaining every time that I went in, it got old. Although I dont see the airgas people as regularly as you. Didn't you post a picture of you hanging out with airgas guys and one of them named his kid after you? :D

Yeah, but explaining it is more fun. I did that every time I got dry ice from a specific company. They liked talking to me. I'd bring in pictures, etc.

I always tell the airgas guys, that I use it for assembling parts. Then I don't get all of the questions and strange looks. After explaining every time that I went in, it got old. Although I dont see the airgas people as regularly as you. Didn't you post a picture of you hanging out with airgas guys and one of them named his kid after you? :D

That might have been an exaggeration on my part. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back