• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with those stupid wires.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ticktock123

Hello everyone, i am current building my computer...again. I am going to be putting new RAM in to it and while i have it taken a little bit apart i saw how many wires were just tied up in to a little ball. It looks very very crappy.

My question: Does anyone know if i took those wires and wrapped them my self using elec tape to try to make it look better, would that work? not only would it work but would it hurt anything, better yet would it give me any better air flow?

Thanks everyone

yeah very true...but not counting ziping them up what othe options do i have? I guess i can't even move around in my computer due to what has already been ziped from the PSU makers.

you should post pictures.. mabe i can give you ideas on hiding them. :)
so i can have an idea of what it looks like.

Get some of those little plastic/wire bread ties. You can usually find packs of them at grocery stores. Otherwise you can just make a ton of sandwiches.

ticktock123 said:
yeah but what i was thinking was to "tape/zip" up power connecters and such so like only 4 or 5 wires at a time in some cases and a zip may not work then.

Nah theyll work. Theyll go as small as about 2 wires, after that there useless of course. No point in zipping one wire. :rolleyes:

Get some of those little plastic/wire bread ties. You can usually find packs of them at grocery stores. Otherwise you can just make a ton of sandwiches.

That works too. Just might not wanna use the wire ones. For obvious reasons.

My solution for those pesky unused and unwanted wires?

Remove them. :)

I either cut them off short and put heatshrink on them or I open up the psu and desolder them entirely, if a case is that short on room.
Of course either of those methods completely eradicates the possibility of an RMA if something dies, but since I am harder on things than manufacturers intend anyway, I don't worry about it. ;)

It does clean things up very nicely though, especially in small systems.

rogerdugans said:
My solution for those pesky unused and unwanted wires?

Remove them. :)

I either cut them off short and put heatshrink on them or I open up the psu and desolder them entirely, if a case is that short on room.
Of course either of those methods completely eradicates the possibility of an RMA if something dies, but since I am harder on things than manufacturers intend anyway, I don't worry about it. ;)

It does clean things up very nicely though, especially in small systems.

That is one way i guess...hehe :cool: i am thinking of going on a more non hurting of my computer route ...thanks for the input though

OH. MY. GOD!

Get to work man.

As they said earlier, zip ties and electric tape is good. You see... cable fu is an art and it takes some practice, it WILL take a while. The first thing you will want to do is take all the wires off so that its neat. The find creative ways to route the wires to their destinations.

Try hiding unused wires in drivebays and behind the motherboard. Sometimes you can also put them behind and above the powersupply.

Where? I cant see past all of those wires! Oh wait... :santa: Youve got a lot of work ahead of you there man. But take your time and dont rush through it.

To help out a little, turn your hardrives so that all of the connections are on the other side of the case. Thatll help out some.

oh my! and i thought my WM sucked! now im happy. think ive done a good job on mine... :D

Back