• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what would you suggest

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

charles4691

Registered
Hey everybody . I have won an Enermax Steelwing case. I have never dealt with micro atx boards or itx for that matter. It has only a single 120mm fan in front only.There is an opening on the top but can't see how a fan would fit there,
and the only rear exhaust is the PSU. So I have to questions .A. what MB and CPU would anyone suggest that wouldn't generate a lot of heat ? Was thinking of a non-K , since OC'ing really isn't a need here. Thanks for any suggestions. why.jpg

As far as the GPU ,I was thinking of either the 1050ti or a rx 470 it would be for light gaming . I already have a gaming rig and a 1070

What kind of budget are you thinking and purpose for the rig when it's finished?

well I have spare DDR4 ram, was hoping to stay in the 400ish range for the board,cpu and psu.. It will be just for light gaming on 1080

Last edited:
i3 6100 and any mITX motherboard that will run it. Does it come with a PSU?

It didn't ship with a PSU . ** Update ** I have a friend who gave me his ASRock B150M Pro4V . So now looking for a CPU. And I was looking at the SILVERSTONE SX500-LG 500W SFX-L 80 PLUS GOLD
Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply.So now just have to decide on a CPU ( non-K )

I recently built this:

1. SilverStone Sugo Series SG05BB-LITE Mini ITX Case
  2. Enermax EG285S-VB 24P 270W SFX PSU
  3. Asus H110I-PLUS D3/CSM mini ITX
  4. i3 6100 (2C/4T) @ 3.7 GHz
  5. 8GB DDR3-1600
  6. EVGA 1060 3GB

Runs quiet and fast. There's no way you need an expensive 500W PSU with those GPU choices. The 270W Enermax SFX PSU handles the load just fine and I bought it used a few years ago on eBay for around $20 or so. For an AMD A10 mITX build, I picked up a SeaSonic SS-350SFE 350W SFX12V V3.1 PSU on eBay for $20 shipped which worked great.

Thank you for sharing your build parts !I will go by your part lists,thanks :) The only reason I was looking at the Silverstone PSU was the fact it was modular and with the clear panel,it would look neater.
But function and price sometimes wins over ones wants.Thank you again for telling me this .

^^What he said^^

Not gonna be a lotta airflow in that no matter what ya do....may as well have a card that dispells it's heat rather than recirculates it,

Sell it and upgrade a part on the computer you do use? haha I dunno. I'd never use that case for anything other than HTPC uses.

This case is enough for any Intel CPU on 1151 socket, even i7 as it's not generating really much heat. Can use something like Cryorig C7 cooler as it's about the same size as stock intel cooler while performs much better. With i5 6600k was still quiet.
Any higher quality PSU 250W+ will be fine. If you are planning to get gaming graphics card then you will need 350W+. I had my last ITX build with Corsair SFX 450W PSU and inside was [email protected] + GTX1070. PSU was running passive for most of the time.
In this case is enough airflow to run something like GTX1060 or even more but GTX1060 is quite low power card which is enough for all new games and is not generating much heat so also not much noise.

As all above. PC components are becoming more energy efficient with each generation of product development. So a non-OC, light gaming/office setup can get by with a smaller wattage footprint PSU. Likely to still be in use for years to come if the connector geeks stay on the same page as today. But then, that's what adapters are for.

Back