• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which One 7, 8, 8.1 or Classic Shell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bambamshere

I thought I would ask everyone here because I downloaded classic shell today but am not sure if I wanted to install yet. I installed Windows 8.1 about 2 days ago and don't mind it yet but I keep hearing about classic shell and how good it is.

Would you use Classic Shell or would you just leave Windows 7,8,8.1 the way it is?

I have Win 7 and I use classing shell because I like some behaviors from previous versions of windows over the current ones.

Works great for me. Couldn't be happier. If I switch to 8, I plan on installing there too.

bambamshere, Classic Shell gives you an option, just an option, to boot directly to Desktop and to have a Start Menu like you did in Windows 9x to Windows 7.

The entire concept of Classic Shell is not about "which way is better." It's about options to choose from. If Microsoft simply gave us options, we would not have this discussion and most people would not bother installing Windows 7 or scratching their heads which OS to install.

With Windows 8 + Classic Shell, you have options. By simply CHECKING an option, you can make things the way they used to work. If you prefer to "fish in" Charms in upper right corner of Windows 8 - if that is somehow more practical - then simply keep this option (pictured below) set to None.

If Charms makes you go :screwy: then you can keep using everything else in Windows 8 but simply set this option below to ALL and no Charms to drive you crazy, pictured here:

Attachments

• DisableCharms.png
    DisableCharms.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 59
c627627 thank you for info. It is very informative. I like to read what peple think about these types of things. It helps me or hope it may help others make a decision on if they want to stay with the way windows 8 is or download classic shell. That's all

Back