• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM to use with Ryzen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It doesn't matter but afaik all available memory kits have CR 2 or 3 because of compatibility with various motherboards and platforms. Motherboard sets CR and Ryzen works at 1N so it's forcing it regardless what memory is in use. While overclocking if 2N is available then can be set to help in higher clock. I don't know if new AGESA adds working 2/3N option. I saw it's available now.

Yes it does Woomack. You need to disable a setting called "gear down" first then the CR setting will work

I've seen comments from other users but does it really work ? I heard there are some issues... or were in some BIOS versions. Anyway does it help in max clock ? I know that your RAM can make 1N on Intel but is it overclocking at 1N up to ~3800+ on Ryzen ?
Just curious as I won't buy next X370 board and I have no idea when my biostar get new bios.

The CR2 does work on CHVI 3800 is still hard to get to work. I haven't had much time since the new BIOS release so I haven't really focused on it much. Then I bought some cheap Team 3000 CL16-18 for the HTPC so I can't really do much till I get the bench set up again

Woomack,

On C6H UEFI 9943 with AEGA 1.0.0.6 you can set 1T/2T (1N/2N), from my own testing I would say it's working. For example 3466MHz with 16-16-16-36-1T fails stability test where as 2T passes. And as stated by Johan45 GearDown needs to be disabled to enable 2T. With GD off also odd CAS will work regardless of 1T/2T selection, which on previous UEFI after IIRC 2666MHz we could not use.

nice job johan45, but I know you can get more (3333) any body else maybe not.

Last edited:
nice job johan45, but I know you can get more (3333) any body else maybe not.

Thanks but I'm probably leaving them the way they are. Hynix, especially this low binned isn't easy to work with on AM4. Even now just trying to "optimize" at 3200 isn't going well. Seems like everything I do hurts the latency and it's bad enough as it is. This stuffalso doesn't seem to like me adding voltage. Haven't tested enough yet to tell if it's the ram that hates it or the IMC since it scales with ram voltage.

Anyone having issues with RGB memory ?

This was quite rampant about a month ago maybe longer. Seems someting, I think the way AM4 handles things was seeing the RGB and SPD as the same thing and the files were being accessed by the software and corrupting. Most were using Thaiphoon to reflash the memory profiles and then NOT using Aura or G.Skill SW

Back