• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who Has The Last Mobile Barton!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think there's any indication the latest Mobiles do the best. The best ones were around 0340-0352, IQYHA. In fact, I recently picked up an IQYHA XP2600-M here in Japan since it was a 0349. I've two in that range and they do 2600 at 1.65-1.78 volts or so (on water).

Across a narrow set of example processors, the pattern might be hard to see. But it is well known that process yields improve over time, newer processors overclocking higher on average.

Anecdotal example; the very newest Mobile Bartons seem to overclock to the same speeds, needing less VCORE then older Mobile Bartons.

I had two chips, dated a year apart (0348/0447), the older one did 2700 MHz stably with 1.9V, the newer one did 2700 MHz stably with 1.85V. This is hardly proof though; two processors are way too small a sample to mean very much.

Now, anecdotal evidence is not worth much when looking for a straight-up and definitve answer.

The trend may well be a perceived one; but I personally believe very firmly that the newer processor is a better gamble (luck always playing a large role in a processor's cabability), then the older processor. Same thing with Video card cores, RAM, and motherboard chipsets.

It has served me well, thus far, in purchasing new parts that overclock signifigantly better then the older parts which they are replacing.

c627627

Woop there it is, a 2005 assembled mobile.

Indeed.

OC Detective

If by making you mean assembling then you might be correct - but they stopped fabricating them a few months ago.

A 2005 assembled processor.

I got the confirmation email from AMD, just waiting for a human being to answer the question now. I am worried that they may have blacklisted my email adress: I send them quite a few questions.

Yes, assembled because we have no way of knowing manufacture dates (do we?)

I'm 100% sure they have not reached End of Life status yet.

After they reach this so called End of Life status, there will then be plenty of them still available for a while before availability dies down.

Then there will be newer/(much) better mobo/CPU combo alternatives pricewise, so the whole story should be looked at from the point of view that there are now $10 Classic Athlons that can be bought from vendors in this here 2005, so whoever hypothetically paniced about Classic Athlons "no longer being made" a few years back... well, you get the idea :)

Last edited:
When Windows 64 comes out, (and it will come out in two months it appears) cheap Socket 754 Athlon 64 system is going to be sought after a lot more than "Windows 64 incompatible Socket A."

Remember a few years back, what could you do with system that can run Windows 3.1 but not Windows 9x? What could you do with a system that can run Windows 9x but not Windows XP?

Tomorrow it will be "What can you do with a system that can't run Windows 64?" A lot of course but you sure are going to like to have that 64 option even if important 64 apps are nowhere in sight....:)

I'd like to see more actual numbers with the newer stuff. Remember how the early 04xx Mobiles weren't doing too well? At least not compared to the first ones that came out. Same with the 2.40C. Hardly anybody is getting 300 fsb cores anymore. I wouldn't put it beyond the manufacturers to put extraordinary cores in early to hype reviews and spur sales, then scrape the bottom of the barrel later. BH-5 was discontinued by Winbond because it was too expensive to make.

No doubt it is true that with stuff like A64s (Clawhammers, Newcastles, Winnies), later is better.

The 2600M I got from Excaliber is a 0447Axxx. That 'A' number is the lowest I seen. Not sure when I will try it. Hell, I stockpiled six 2500-2600Ms and I only tested 2-3.

Sentential said:
:clap: Indeed... I had a 0352 MPMW. That was one hellova AXP :D

The MPMWs were almost always good. I have two MPMW 2500Ms I got from Newegg when the Mobiles first hit the scene, and they are around the same date.

I just got a 3400+ DTR from Newegg yesterday, and it's a 0416 MPMW! Hoping for the same luck with this CG Claw.

Clevor said:
The MPMWs were almost always good. I have two MPMW 2500Ms I got from Newegg when the Mobiles first hit the scene, and they are around the same date.

I just got a 3400+ DTR from Newegg yesterday, and it's a 0416 MPMW! Hoping for the same luck with this CG Claw.
heh, my 3400+ DTR is a 0347 and it clocks nicely, you should do well (i think)

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
heh, my 3400+ DTR is a 0347 and it clocks nicely, you should do well (i think)

I heard some guys couple of weeks ago got 0445s or something from Newegg; the same ones Excaliber was selling. I was disappointed with my 0415, but it's a CG anyway. Newegg is now sold out, but taking autonotifys.

Quentin said:
Ben, thanks for the information. I remember you were having a problem with an XP3200 that didn't run at stock speed. Hope you got it resolved and that you like your brand new mobile. Hope you got "gold" again!

Yes..thanks for your words regards that. The guy I bought it off gave me a 80% refund and I kept the CPU so quite happy with that. Decided to buy the mobile even though I only save £12 over the 3200+ since they actually seem to give better results for the overclocker.

The 3200+ will probably get eBayed as faulty (will run fully stable at 195FSB), move my 2500+Barton desktop back to my media PC and stick the mobile in my main PC and overclock...will post the results.....hope it's "gold" as you suggest...cheers mate!!!!

Put the 2600+ Mobile in.

Haven't found it's limits yet but will definitely run at 2.5GHz (200x12.5) at 1.6v. Crunched some SETI and ran 3DMark2001SE a few times. No stability issues presented themselves.

AMD has not yet answered my email. I got the automated "your email query has been escalated" reply, but no formal answer as of yet, which is odd. They didn't reply to the last two emails that I sent either.

I think that they may have blacklisted my email adress and name - I ask them a lot of product questions. From some of their responses, I gather that they don't seem to like people asking about steppings and production runs :-/.

If someone else would like to send the email (I would appreciate it anyhow), you only need to go to www.amd.com , and then to the "AskAMD" section.

I finally got an email response.

AMD's email to me

Thank you for contacting AMD's Technical Service Center.

Try contacting a sales office in your area. I have provided a link below to get
the number in your area.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact
me.

Sincerely,

Customer Support Analyst
AMD TSC

Hardly useful. They completely skirted my question in fact.

I intend to telephone them however, and follow this through!

felinusz, I sent the email below to AMD as you suggested. Hopefully I didn't make it too unclear. I'll pass on any reply from AMD.

Thank you again for all the effort you've put in to informing our community. I have learned much from you and your threads. I think anyone here should read through old threads to gain perspective on today's issues!

The email message:

I'm researching AMD processors and need to know whether Mobile Athlon XP processors are still being fabricated by AMD, and an approximation of how long these processors will be available for bulk purchase by resellers.

The models in question include:
AXMG2600FQQ4C, AXMH2500FQQ4C, AXMH2400FQQ4C, AXMD2200FJQ4C

Of course priority has shifted to the Athlon 64 but Mobile XPs are still being sold with December 2004 and January 2005 assembly dates. AMD has released the Sempron line to replace the Athlon XP, so Socket A will be supported for the near future. One of those Sempron models, the SDA 3000+ shares the same Barton core as Mobile Athlon XP processors which indicates it would be possible to continue fabricating some mobile CPUs for the replacement market.

Thank you for your time,

Quentin

felinusz, I sent the email below to AMD as you suggested. Hopefully I didn't make it too unclear. I'll pass on any reply from AMD.

Thank you again for all the effort you've put in to informing our community. I have learned much from you and your threads. I think anyone here should read through old threads to gain perspective on today's issues!

The email message:

I'm researching AMD processors and need to know whether Mobile Athlon XP processors are still being fabricated by AMD, and an approximation of how long these processors will be available for bulk purchase by resellers.

The models in question include:
AXMG2600FQQ4C, AXMH2500FQQ4C, AXMH2400FQQ4C, AXMD2200FJQ4C

Of course priority has shifted to the Athlon 64 but Mobile XPs are still being sold with December 2004 and January 2005 assembly dates. AMD has released the Sempron line to replace the Athlon XP, so Socket A will be supported for the near future. One of those Sempron models, the SDA 3000+ shares the same Barton core as Mobile Athlon XP processors which indicates it would be possible to continue fabricating some mobile CPUs for the replacement market.

Thank you for your time,

Thanks, I appreciate that a lot :)

A well written email, and very nicely put - thanks so much for taking the time to send that out :)

Hopefully AMD will shed some light. Right now I'm wishing that I had kept the email correspondence which I had earlier this year.

Phone-wise, I've gotten as far as 'Eddie', the AMD Guy at "J Squared Technologies", which is the local place that supposedly handles AMD product availablility for my area (Toronto, this place is located in Mississauga). I have a feeling that these guys won't know about whether cores are still being fabbed or not.

'Eddie' was out of the offcie today, so I'll be calling him again tommorrow :-/.

Internal AMD maps show Bartons and Thoroughbreds very much on the market Quarter 1 2005 as was confirmed by 2005 assembly dates posted here.

Some of the people being contacted may not know about possibly large amounts of unassembled cores that would make availability or price increase of mobile Bartons not exactly a realistic possibility for quite some time to come.

I don't think you'll be seeing shortages or price increases of Athlon XPs any time soon but that's just my personal opinion.

Windows 64 should make Windows 64 incompatible Athlon XP chips less desireable with time so their price may actually go down, won't it?

Also, here's another take on that: You don't buy a Palomino because mobile Barton overclocks so much higher but if you look at what just released DFI Socket 939 mobo was able to do with hitechjb1's Winchester 3000+, you realize that mobile Barton's performance is going to seem a lot worse considering that Venice should overclock higher than even hitechjb1's 3000+ Winchester.

So lowest priced new chips should make us think twice of investing in mobile Bartons, particularily when Socket 939 mobo price plummets and Windows 64 is out since Athlon 64s are compatible with 32 bit Windows XP but they should really shine under Windows 64.

I'm not saying Windows 64 is to Windows XP what XP was to Millennium but you get the gist, technology moves on and tends to make things we thought were great - obsolete.

c627627, as usual you bring clear thinking to this subject. I also value your opinion and look for your posts because I always learn something. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

I'm mainly interested in the availability of AXMs because I upgrade systems for friends and family. Usually they don't want a new motherboard and don't want to have to go through reinstalling Windows, etc. (Backup, locate important files, backup, reinstall, then realize what they should have backed up!)

CPU swaps, cooling and RAM upgrades are more popular and are easier on me, too. I recently did one motherboard swap to an A64 platform and my friend ended up having to buy a new video card and power supply. He understood but wasn't real happy! The people I deal with just don't need the best and are very happy with a $100 upgrade they can feel.

I'm tempted to buy two AXM2600+s now to replace my AXM2200 and AXM2400 because I know within the next few months I'll be doing more CPU swaps for friends. I just have a feeling if I don't do that, I'll be sorry when I need another good CPU for someone.

I fully expect my existing systems with OC'd AXMs to be adequate for two more years. By then new A64s, Longhorn 64 and 64-bit only applications will force my hand.

(BTW, you're waiting, too! Just not as long, I suspect...)

c627627

So lowest priced new chips should make us think twice of investing in mobile Bartons, particularily when Socket 939 mobo price plummets and Windows 64 is out since Athlon 64s are compatible with 32 bit Windows XP but they should really shine under Windows 64.

I'm not saying Windows 64 is to Windows XP what XP was to Millennium but you get the gist, technology moves on and tends to make things we thought were great - obsolete.

I sold off my Socket A machine a while ago, for many of the reasons that you mention.

Right now, I have no rig, and am holding out untill March, when I will purchase a new computer with new, 'modern', hardware. At this point, investing in new Socket A components is indeed unadviseable: buying pre-obsolete hardware is a bad investment. Save your moolah for an A64.

Right now, my motivation for tenaciously wanting to know when exactly the Socket A processors will be cut, fabrication-wise, is not because of availability, or a desire to continue buying Socket A parts. I am more interested in knowing when AMD plans to "cut" Socket A, and move everything (desktop-computer wise) over to A64.

Some would say that this shift has already occured.

c627627

Some of the people being contacted may not know about possibly large amounts of unassembled cores that would make availability or price increase of mobile Bartons not exactly a realistic possibility for quite some time to come.

Right now, I haven't even managed to speak with a real human being about Mobile Barton availability. You are probably correct though; store shelves will likely tell us more then people will at this point :-/

I wouldnt be surprised either if AMD doesnt produce Socket A chips any more. I think no PC manufacturers buy socket A cpus + mainboards+ agp graphics cards. A64 rigs arent much more expensive.But socket A chips will be still available for quite a while even if AMD aint producing new chips any longer.
I'd say the era comes to an end, together with AGP :)

Yesterday I got AMD's automated "your email query has been escalated..." Not expecting much more than you got, felinusz. Hope I don't get the same guy you got (especially since all I did was rephrase your email)!

Back