• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who Has The Last Mobile Barton!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
c627627 said:
Throwing $ at any Socket A upgrade in JaY_III's case is clearly not a good idea in the opinion of most members here, am I right?

I would agree if he is planning on getting a Venice and has the money to do so. A Venice at even 2.3 GHz will beat a Barton at 2.7 GHz in almost any application. I just expected a little more making the jump, I guess. But A64 is much more future-proof, if there is such a thing. s939 isn't exactly cheap yet, but it should be before too long. Even if you go to a Winchester or Newcastle core, you can always upgrade to Venice or San Diego, or dual-core further down the line.

douglasb said:
I just expected a little more making the jump, I guess.

This is what i wanted to hear.
So would you call it a major upgrade or a minor?

Only thalon 64 i played with only clocked at 2.2Ghz at the time using OLD hardrives. SO its not the best case to compair with

JaY_III said:
This is what i wanted to hear.
So would you call it a major upgrade or a minor?

Only thalon 64 i played with only clocked at 2.2Ghz at the time using OLD hardrives. SO its not the best case to compair with

I'm running a Newcastle 3000+ s754 on a Chaintech VNF3-250 board. Corsair XMS, v4.2 RAM, TCC5/TCCD. Most of the time, I stay stock, because the CPU is new and I don't want to pump too many volts into her yet. At 2 GHz, it doesn't seem that much faster than the XP, so it's minor in that respect. HOWEVER, it does have SSE2, and 64-bit, so that is a huge help in applications that support it, which there aren't that many of yet. In the near future, when Athlon XP won't be able to run every application out there, and A64 runs them well, it will be a mojor upgrade. Keep in mind that this is a pretty low-end A64 setup, and my XP-M setup was of the highest quality (same RAM, NF7-S v2.0, 2600+ IDYHA @ 2.6+ GHz). I got such a good deal on everything, I can't say that I'm disappointed with the transition. I think I may have actually MADE money switching, if you can believe that. It certainly cost me very little, if anything, out of pocket, if I didn't profit slightly from selling the old rig.

Switching to 939/A64 is like shifting from 5th gear to overdrive when you have a strong V8. Sure you get more top end speed but 5th gear wasn't bad at all. It all comes down to what you've got to do. XP-M at 2.4GHz is enough for me so I'll make the swap in a year or so when 64-bit versions of my apps make it really worth the money. Plus I'll have a better chance of getting something "futureproof" (a joke of a term if there ever was one!)

Moving from an atlon XP-M [email protected] to an A64 3000+@2ghz was a pleasant surprise. Even with the XP clocked 500mhz faster the A64 still had the advantage and comparing them at the same clock speeds was just a joke as the XP is supremely out matched.

If you can sell off your board and cpu and keep the other components in your system I think it is well worth the uprade.

Hey Quentin the answer to your question is here: these folks have the last Socket A CPU!

Attachments

• LastSocketA.jpg
    LastSocketA.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 107
Hate to go back on topic, but I just got my new 35watt XP-M 2400+ from newegg:

AXMD2400FJQ4C
IDYHA 0507XPMW c.1999 AMD

I'm looking at the swiftech H20-120-SB to cool my setup.

-Kenji

I made a mistake of getting that 35 watter back when the 2500+ mobile was only $1 more.

I would have gotten at least 100 MHz extra for that dollar. Ended up overclocking it to 2.4 GHz, meanwhile most 2500+ mobiles at the time did 2.5 GHz.

Wish you have better luck!

I bought the 35w over the 45w because I have read that the 35w ones are better. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't getting the same speed at a lower wattage a good aspect of the processors performance and efficiency? The 35w 2400+ was 15 dollars more than the 45w 2400+

blah. well I still need to work on deciding what watercooling setup to go with. I don't want to pay much more than 200 dollars, and I'd rather just go with a kit, like the swiftech 120-sb, or the evercool wc-202. HMM.

The 35 watter is nice for default speeds but for overclocking, the 2500+ mobile and especially the 2600+ have been known to overclock further than both 35 watt as well the 45 watt 2400+s by about 100 MHz lately.

Even with water cooling, it's tough to get XPs to outperform Socket 939 with even retail cooling, it depends what you do but extreme cases have even 2.2 GHz 939s ouperforming hypothetical XPs at 2.8-2.9 GHz, that's how much superior 64s can be MHz for MHz...

c627627 said:
Hey Quentin the answer to your question is here: these folks have the last Socket A CPU!

JaY_III said:

Sniff, sniff :cry: :cry:
Yep, the end is near. Guess 0712 may be about the end unless AMD keeps making XP-Ms until September as has been rumored.

What a great run, though. But the future is bright when it's time to build a new system. :)

Just last week Newegg still had some XP-Ms but this week none at all. In fact almost no one on the web has one for sale now. Looks like it'll be hit or miss from now on for any Athlon XPs. Or eBay...

They can still be found elsewhere for as much as $123 which would make it officially a bad idea to get them because E6 stepping Socket 754 Semprons outperform them and

E6 stepping AMD64 enabled Socket 754 Sempron PLUS Socket 754 mobo

can be had for that much.

Quentin said:
Sniff, sniff :cry: :cry:
Yep, the end is near. Guess 0712 may be about the end unless AMD keeps making XP-Ms until September as has been rumored.
Where did you get 0712, that would be in the middle of March 2007. The last 2600M I have seen so far is 0507.

Yep, there'll be price gouging now for decent Socket A CPUs. Your alternative sure looks attractive, c627627! It would be crazy to spend more for Socket A.

But I'm still happy with what I've got and can hold out two years for the shakeout of 64-bit version of Windows Vista, 64-bit apps and Socket M2.

A friend wants to build a cheap system now so we'll have to compare the differences between Socket 754 and 939 that matter to him.

hibner said:
Where did you get 0712, that would be in the middle of March 2007. The last 2600M I have seen so far is 0507.

That was just a guess in my post back in July (and a mistake, should have said 0530 or something like that!). I haven't seen an XP date later than 0507 either, though I wouldn't be surprised if some were as late as July.

Then again maybe the last cores ended up being Socket A Semprons...

Back