• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Who would help me from the start with overclocking my FX 8350.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok guys need some advice about my overclock

I make a prime blend run about 25 Min, everything looks nice but something happend with the HT link freq. I saw an wobble im mean lower and higher freq, about 10-15 Mhz changes, it was not stable as before.
Does this mean i need to fine tune the NB and Ht Volts.

CPU/ V 1.43V
CPU/NB V 1,25V
DRAM V 1,50V

And everything else on Auto

Oldie

Edit: it seems that maxmem showing lesser then 4695Mhz

Attachments

• test47.jpg
    test47.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 93
  • cb47.jpg
    cb47.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 91
  • mx.jpg
    mx.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Good Afternoon Oldie, while your waiting for the AMD Guys to show take a look at this! Now please promise me don't touch any settings now!! As i am not great at Overclocking AMD Platforms, just something to while the time away, while waiting lol!! AJ. ;)

1, http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/58874-1866-ram-asus-sabertooth-990fx-issue-2.html

You can read all of the post page 1 and 2, but page 2 post 12 is the most interesting for yourself!! :attn: :shrug:

Oldie got to go out now will be back soon. AJ.

Last edited:
just check in the bios that turbo core and all the green stuff is still off and that you have manually set the ht and cpu/nb speed.
other than that it's not a big issue.

Hey Oldie ..... I have been kinda following your thread but have just been too busy to really jump in. Your wobble as you call it is just your FSB fluctuating a bit not totally uncommon. Not something I see in my CHIV or CHIVz very often but once in a while. While I do have the Sbabertooth I just bought it and have had absolutely no time to play with it and cant really comment on it , I am sure that Johan when he pops in maybe able to shed more light on it than I can.

From what I have seen in your screen capture your OC is coming along nice .... well done. In the mean time if you wish to try a bit more CPU/NB volts a slight bump shouldn't hurt anything as you will probably be needing a bump soon if you are planning to OC your ram, just keep an eye on your temps. Keep in mind whenever you add voltage you will be adding some heat in your OC somewhere.

When it comes to your NB and HT frequencies for me I have not had to / not been able to get up over the 2400MHZ and have kept them in lock step while I know RGone and I believe CaddiDaddi have gone higher. Could just be that I have not used high enough CPU/NB volts ...... the last year I have been busy and not had the time to play as much as I would like. That doesn't look like it will change anytime soon either. I'm off now but I am sure RGone or Johan should soon be by.

Good Afternoon Guys nice to see you, as for my post to Oldie i hope i was not to far out of line there!! Respect AJ. ;) :salute:

Like you i have been watching and enjoying this thread too!

Last edited:
not at all out of line ajay47.

there is allmost nothing in the cpu/nb above the 2400's, in a benchmark or two the 2500's pay a very little.
24xx/24xx is about as good as it gets.

we do spend a lot of time fishing for something up there but it's all minnows and no big bass.

As of my post in 264 about the situation of the Sabertooth sometimes not seeing the Ram speed etc. And a little fix to try to resolve it, but C--D i was not sure of my facts hence, i told Oldie to wait for you Guys!! Just edging my bets lol.

Well looks like Oldie is back on line now so i will sit on the side and let you guys deal with the Questions. AJ.

Last edited:
just check in the bios that turbo core and all the green stuff is still off and that you have manually set the ht and cpu/nb speed.
other than that it's not a big issue.

Thank you Caddi daddi for your reply, that turbo core is disabled, and that all green stuff too.
The overclock likes very nice but i thought there need some finetuning with the HT/ voltage.
It is quite complicated for me, but I'm going to overclock always fun to find.

Oldie

Hey Oldie ..... I have been kinda following your thread but have just been too busy to really jump in. Your wobble as you call it is just your FSB fluctuating a bit not totally uncommon. Not something I see in my CHIV or CHIVz very often but once in a while. While I do have the Sbabertooth I just bought it and have had absolutely no time to play with it and cant really comment on it , I am sure that Johan when he pops in maybe able to shed more light on it than I can.

From what I have seen in your screen capture your OC is coming along nice .... well done. In the mean time if you wish to try a bit more CPU/NB volts a slight bump shouldn't hurt anything as you will probably be needing a bump soon if you are planning to OC your ram, just keep an eye on your temps. Keep in mind whenever you add voltage you will be adding some heat in your OC somewhere.

When it comes to your NB and HT frequencies for me I have not had to / not been able to get up over the 2400MHZ and have kept them in lock step while I know RGone and I believe CaddiDaddi have gone higher. Could just be that I have not used high enough CPU/NB volts ...... the last year I have been busy and not had the time to play as much as I would like. That doesn't look like it will change anytime soon either. I'm off now but I am sure RGone or Johan should soon be by.

Thank you basnut for jumping in, and gives some explanation .

Oldie

As of my post in 264 about the situation of the Sabertooth sometimes not seeing the Ram speed etc. And a little fix to try to resolve it, but C--D i was not sure of my facts hence, i told Oldie to wait for you Guys!! Just edging my bets lol.

Well looks like Oldie is back on line now so i will sit on the side and let you guys deal with the Questions. AJ.

I need to thank you again for your help as always

Oldie

Last edited:
Some test

I did nothing about changing Voltage
But lower the HT/NB Freq. and the multyplier 1 step , i wanne know what the differend is in performance.

It seems that i have more performance in Cinebench and MaxxMen with an higher HT/NB Freq

Edit: i will Try to OC 4.8ghz wish me luck

Attachments

• 4.73.jpg
    4.73.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
4.8 Ghz
stable blend test for 30 Min.

Bump Vcore once.

Edit: going for the 4.9Ghz

Attachments

• 4,835.jpg
    4,835.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 79
  • maxxxx.jpg
    maxxxx.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 78
Nice work Oldie. I came in to check on things this morning and couldn't find your thread. But I see you've been put back now. Sorry I couldn't spend much time but it was Canada's birthday weekend so very very busy.
I see you're coming along quite nicely. Your almost at your max temps though, so play time will soon be over.

Nice work Oldie. I came in to check on things this morning and couldn't find your thread. But I see you've been put back now. Sorry I couldn't spend much time but it was Canada's birthday weekend so very very busy.
I see you're coming along quite nicely. Your almost at your max temps though, so play time will soon be over.

Hi Johan

Nice to see you, i did missing you a little

But im happy with the overclock, i will try reach the 4,9 and that will be the end.
I wonder if there can something with the ram, i mean is it possible to get a higher frequenty?
Above the 1900mhz the pc dont boot even on 4,6ghz

Oldie

If you're going to OC the ram you have to treat it just like the CPU and bump the volyage while still maintaining the same timings. Did you notice the memory performance was the same at 4.7 as it was at 4.8 after you dropped the NB frequency. Your NB is the internal memory controller on the CPU so theoretically the faster it is the better the memory can perform but there's always a limit. I have managed to get my memory up to the low 2500's but had to loosen the timings quite a bit.

Got yapping and forgot bump your memory up to 1.55 and give it a shot at 1900 also to keep the NB stable you'll probably need to go up on the voltage for it as well

I wouldnt worry about ram speed personally. There are VERY little gains past 1600MHz in the first place. ;)

I wouldnt worry about ram speed personally. There are VERY little gains past 1600MHz in the first place. ;)

Good point E_D and I doubt goldie is goind to be doing any benching soon. He's just learnig to make it dance and I think he likes it.:attn:

If you're going to OC the ram you have to treat it just like the CPU and bump the volyage while still maintaining the same timings. Did you notice the memory performance was the same at 4.7 as it was at 4.8 after you dropped the NB frequency. Your NB is the internal memory controller on the CPU so theoretically the faster it is the better the memory can perform but there's always a limit. I have managed to get my memory up to the low 2500's but had to loosen the timings quite a bit.

Got yapping and forgot bump your memory up to 1.55 and give it a shot at 1900 also to keep the NB stable you'll probably need to go up on the voltage for it as well

Thank you Johan

So it wouldnt any problem when i higher the ram volts at 1,55V?

Back