• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Insider build tries to prevent you from installing Chrome or Firefox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/w...nt-you-from-installing-chrome-or-firefox.html

TLDR: "A new Insider version of Windows 10 actively tracks the installation of Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox and tries to prevent that by pausing the installation and showing a popup in your face stating, “You already have Microsoft Edge — the safer, faster browser for Windows 10... Users then have the option to either open the Microsoft Edge browser or install the other browser anyway..."

Anti trust round two. Microsoft just can’t help themselves.

This makes me wonder why they care if I am using Edge or not.

That's a bit annoying. :)

I think they're begging for another FTC spanking - this is toeing the line of what they got in trouble for with IE in '95... I'd really like to uninstall Edge...
powershell said:
remove-appxpackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CFA, Removal failed. Please contact your software vendor.
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CFA)
error 0x80070032: AppX Deployment Remove operation on package
Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_42.17134.1.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe from:
C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe failed. This app is part of Windows and cannot be
uninstalled on a per-user basis. An administrator can attempt to remove the app from the computer using Turn Windows
Features on or off. However, it may not be possible to uninstall the app.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] b65aac3e-4c39-0001-7310-5cb6394cd401 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID b65aac3e-4c39-0001-7310-5cb6394cd401
At line:1 char:43
+ get-appxpackage Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | remove-appxpackage
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (Microsoft.Micro...__8wekyb3d8bbwe:String) [Remove-AppxPackage], IOException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.RemoveAppxPackageCommand

I think they're begging for another FTC spanking - this is toeing the line of what they got in trouble for with IE in '95... I'd really like to uninstall Edge...

It’s annoying but a good lawyer would argue that Apple does the same thing with macOS and iOS.

The thing I think that crosses the line is the fact that they are monitoring what is being installed and in targeted instances obstructing the user. This is unacceptable.

It’s annoying but a good lawyer would argue that Apple does the same thing with macOS and iOS.

The thing I think that crosses the line is the fact that they are monitoring what is being installed and in targeted instances obstructing the user. This is unacceptable.

I'm waiting on a Linux release of Subnautica. That is literally the last thing I care about at the moment that I need Windows for.

Well, they're not warning a user, just insisting on using edge because they have it already. I see it nearly as a friendly nudge. You can always disable that 'warnings' or install what you want anyways. Both options are right there on the same window. :shrug: Microsoft just wants what's best for the user..

Well, they're not warning a user, just insisting on using edge because they have it already. I see it nearly as a friendly nudge. You can always disable that 'warnings' or install what you want anyways. Both options are right there on the same window. :shrug: Microsoft just wants what's best for the user..

You can also disable the ads in your start menu that you paid for. One day the option to disable might not be there.

It seems like some of these rules might be already sneaking into Win 10 PRO. I built 30 plus win 10 PC's in the last year or so.
Three that I built in June and July of 2018, Chrome will not run properly. It installs but locks up or fails to load most of the time. I have tried a few fixes that people recommended but they don't work or they worked till you closed and opened it again.
I don't really care for EDGE, but have been forced to use it because of this issue...

It seems like some of these rules might be already sneaking into Win 10 PRO. I built 30 plus win 10 PC's in the last year or so.
Three that I built in June and July of 2018, Chrome will not run properly. It installs but locks up or fails to load most of the time. I have tried a few fixes that people recommended but they don't work or they worked till you closed and opened it again.
I don't really care for EDGE, but have been forced to use it because of this issue...

They started reducing the functionality of W10 Pro with the first Anniversary Update, which inspired this thread https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/773926-quot-Cortana-you-re-fired!-quot

Back