• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Threshold 2 FPS DROP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Anyone else experiencing FPS drops ? Same settings, same overclock.

Unigine Heaven dropped by ~120, Valley ~200, 3DMark ~800 (graphic scores) Fire Strike normal.

Last edited:
I'm imagining previous versions of windows.

That said, yes, in synthetic benchmarks and with games, there are differences in scores and FPS between OSs. They do not go hand in hand however. The benching team has a good idea of this as we have specific OSs for specific benchmarks.

I believe some sites reviewed gaming performamce between w7/810, I would check that out for more details. :)

Compared to Windows 10 original, only thing that changed was upgrade to Threshold 2 (fresh install on both), why i found it so strange. Driver version 355.98, like i said, same settings, same overclock on CPU/GPU :confused:

Last edited:
What is Threshold 2?

Edit: oh, their first major update :chair:.

Same story though... with past versions of windows major updates (service packs) could do that. But is this 2 fps of 100 (so something more or less negligble) or we talking 2 of 30?

I don't bench on 10 so, I can't confirm/deny such differences.

~10fps drop in Heaven and Valley maximum fps, don't know about 3DMark. So 10/100 I guess ? Still SP's are supposed to speed up the system not bog it down. Only wanted confirmation if I'm the only one.

3DMark CPU test show it 2fps faster in T2.

Tough to gauge.. you will have to catch someone before and after. I will keep my eye on this thread as I am curious too...

Update : Driver version 358.91, seems to have fixed the drops somewhat, 3DMark returned to more or less normal values but Heaven and Valley are still the same low.

Fire Strike.jpg Fire Strike Extreme.jpg Fire Strike Ultra.jpg

Not for 3DMark i have always had the bad habit of overwriting files i thought didn't need any more (and then i need them again) :bang head But as i said 1st post its ~800 on graphics score

New Heaven + Valley :

Clipboard01.jpg Clipboard02.jpg

Old Heaven + Valley :

Heaven 980 Ti.jpg Valley 980 Ti.jpg

Update : went back to Windows 10 regular and all my bench scores went back to "normal" values...

I'm really curious now, need peeps to test out Threshold 2 to see if anyone got the same problem :confused:

I wish I had the time to test it for you...

That said, I'm not really too worried about it, as it is what it is, since we are forced to update anyway. Its good to know for benching purposes though if other OSs aren't as fast and we are forced to use 10/its latest versions (for retail people).

EDIT: One thing I JUST noticed is that it appears your settings are actually different in these runs. Look at your screenshot... see how under settings two say Custom/Ultra/Extreme and the other two are just Extreme HD? I wonder if that has anything to do with it your results being different...try running both again with the different settings and see if you get the same results in the same OS. ;)

Last edited:
I wish I had the time to test it for you...

That said, I'm not really too worried about it, as it is what it is, since we are forced to update anyway. Its good to know for benching purposes though if other OSs aren't as fast and we are forced to use 10/its latest versions (for retail people).

EDIT: One thing I JUST noticed is that it appears your settings are actually different in these runs. Look at your screenshot... see how under settings two say Custom/Ultra/Extreme and the other two are just Extreme HD? I wonder if that has anything to do with it your results being different...try running both again with the different settings and see if you get the same results in the same OS. ;)

They look the same, one's valley and one's heaven, although CPU frequency is different by 100mhz

Your CPU speed is slower on the 8/10 screenshots, that's most likely your differential.

Heaven extreme defaults to windowed 1600x900, i always ran it at full screen 1920x1080. 100mhz CPU speed does NOT make up for that difference in results.

Clipboard01.jpg

Oy... Good catch Janus... my fault. Disregard.

I doubt 100 Mhz will make much difference. It doesn't generally respond to it... at least, not the HWBOT version. I would still re-run to make sure the CPU match exactly for the testing.

Humor us though K, run them again with matching CPU speeds and see how much that does matter. We may be surprised (though I personally doubt it too).

EDIT: Then again it is an AMD processor and it can hold powerful GPUs back. You are also on 1080p a lowish CPU bound at time res (my experiences here were on Intel CPUs) so....................its def. worth a re-run at the same CPU speeds.

Last edited:
Heaven extreme defaults to windowed 1600x900, i always ran it at full screen 1920x1080. 100mhz CPU speed does NOT make up for that difference in results.

Point being though, you're not comparing apples to apples.
Give it a shot with the speeds the same.

Also, running at program defaults will eliminate any question of settings being changed.

I did when i had it installed, makes almost zero difference in Heaven and Valley, ~100 in 3DMark IF THAT. One thing i forgot though, for the 1st batch of tests i was still using the Crosshair and generally had a little higher GPU results then with the Saber but again still not enough to make this difference (also like i said i already re-installed 10 "normal").

So, different CPU speeds and a different motherboard.

Can you just retest on the same hardware with no changes besides the OS please?
You're introducing lots of variables here.

Back