• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 booting problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nickas14

Registered
Hello. Yesterday I returned from my vacation(the computer was unplugged) and I turned my computer on and it was booting normally till the starting windows screen when the monitor turned black and the green power light of the monitor started blinking with low frequency.I restarted my system and the problem was gone.Today, I turned it on again and the same thing happened three consecutive times.Now I am on Windows XP and it has no problem.
I have a Philips 170s4 17" monitor and I use Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows XP Home SP3.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz (OC'ed @ 3.429GHz)
GPU: Connect3D ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB (factory settings)
MB: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
RAM: 2x2GB Crucial Rendition CT25664BA1339
Monitor: Philips 170s4 17"
PSU: Premier Value Series 550W
CPU Cooling: Thermaltake Big Typhoon CL-P0114

Today, the same happened to Windows XP and now I am using Windows 7.The black screen and the blinking light happens every time but after a while the display returns.

I have this monitor since the summer of 2004. It's the first time I see this type of blinking, it gives me a blink about every 4 seconds.

For kicks and giggles, turn off the computer and check if it's the same blinking (when the monitor is on stand-by). If it's not, I'd wait for Ed (Bobn) to show up. He's the electronics guru around here.

I'd say something around the PSU is getting tired of being alive, or that a cable is damaged.

When it is on standby the light is orange. Also,if its PSU is getting tired as you say, then why this happens only between the starting windows screen and the welcome screen and not from the beginning or spontaneously.

In the website you provided me, the guy in the first post says that his monitor displays black screen,mine is like it's off.In the third post he says something about a blinking LED, when he applies unsupported resolutions/refresh rates. I've seen his blinking many times usually when configuring video settings in a game and the blinking LED that I'm getting is different with slower repetitions.Also, I tried my LCD TV once and it worked fine (I don't know if I got lucky) but when the starting windows 7 display disappeared the TV showed me a note saying "Please wait while configurating" and the display was a little more to the right after the configuration.I will try my TV one more time to make sure.

Few days ago I opened the monitor and replaced a blown capacitor.Now, most times it boots normally and the rest it gives me only one flash and then the welcome screen appears.I hope it stays that way.

Back